Fluff: Manicures and swimming

Options
NoelFigart1
NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
I love wearing nail polish. I hate what swimming does to a regular manicure and your fingernails.

So, for the past year or so, I've just kept my nails clipped short and only used clear polish and left it at that.

I got a very rare professional manicure recently because my husband and I were going to take a big trip. I got a Shellac (sometimes called gel) French manicure. It lasted through surf, sun and pools.

Because I'm too cheap to drop fifty bucks every couple of weeks to get my nails done, though, I bought the LED light as well as some gel polish.

OMG OMG OMG, it's like angels singing. This stuff lasts even in the POOL.

I haz a happy.

Replies

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about the same thing this weekend. I had found some nailpolish that lasted for about a week doing dry land, showers, dishes, but gave up painting my nails when I decided to get back in the pool.
    I loved getting shellac at the salon, but who can afford that all the time? I might have to look into doing it at home-what brand light/polish did you get?
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Gelish Starter Kit with an LED lamp. Warning -- it is NOT cheap. OTOH, it pays for itself in about two and a half salon visits (at least with the going rate in my area).

Warning: You gotta be really neat-handed and you can't get polish on your skin. That stuff cures as hard as a rock.
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I got my first gel manicure before going on a week-long canoe trip to the Colorado river. Darned if the thing didn't last for 2 weeks after the trip! But this was one of the ones with a UV light, and so I didn't go back for that anymore because it was expensive and I didn't want the extra UV exposure. But if they're doing them with LED light, I might have to reconsider. My nails are always breaking and peeling, and so I usually just keep them clipped short and put some kind of clear nail strengthener on them every few days.
  • luv2eat2013
    luv2eat2013 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Professional gel worked wonders in pool but started to damage my nails. In return I tried doing it myself with gel polish.hummmm not to well with chlorine. I'm a revelon chick when it comes to polish and lipsticks ALWAYS!!!! Shame on me for not purchasing there kit. Trying it out this weekend