very interesting article for those of you using fitbit

Options

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Better than overestimating. Wasn't this posted on another group thread???
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    yes, i posted it to the fitbit and general group. of course i got ripped apart in the general group for posting it :neutral:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've explained several times what it's missing.

Doesn't even take any comparing like they did, just knowledge of what the body does that they don't account for.

Wonder why you got ripped in the general group for it though?
    I can imagine a lot of users ready to jump all over the "see - it's not accurate" bandwagon.
  • ETPPaul
    ETPPaul Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

Doesn't even take any comparing like they did, just knowledge of what the body does that they don't account for.

I can imagine a lot of users ready to jump all over the "see - it's not accurate" bandwagon.

The point of the article isn't that it overestimates, the point of the article is that if you ate the number you are burning most of the time that is favorable for your metabolic rate and in the end you can use that for a better approach at a deficit down the road.
  • heybales
    Options
    It would be a very good method for the end game 5-10 lbs - especially if doing some lifting for body recomp - really allow those good workouts and better transform than with big deficit.

Curious about the types of workouts - did you correct for anything the device is known not to estimate well for - lifting for instance?

And did you find it accurate in reading the HR in the first place for cardio, or intense cardio?
    Seems many find the inaccuracy there if they look.
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    This actually makes me really really happy.
    My first fitbit flex annoyed me because you have the charging every 3 days...so I got a Misfit and I loved the fact that I could run without a charge for days. However, I have noticed that the misfit is VERY crazy about the burns - first it doesn't seem to acknowledge when I've done an extremely long walk like the fitbit would. Second, it would give me random numbers even when going the exact same way - very random.

So now I bought the charge and my main fear of it all is that the Charge HR would overestiimate my burn. I tend to sometimes avoid eating 100 extra calories as I think the Misfit might be overlogging. Now with this, it makes me a bit more calm about going back to the fitbit yay!
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Actually his following article on it is quite interesting too.
    It's what we do with body recomp isn't it?

I might give it a shot!
    http://www.eattoperform.com/2015/08/02/pffl-were-all-athletes-doing-your-fitbit-right-by-paul-nobles/
  • heybales
    Options
    Well, body recomp, reasonable deficit - all the things that have been talked about on this group for awhile to increase performance of workouts and therefore changes to body, and aid just fat loss.

And not new to this group - nor that site - been around for ages as I've heard it for years back prior to the Dr. Sears diet basically making the 40/30/30 idea popular (but sadly with extreme deficit if not done correctly).

That's kind of annoying the Misfit doesn't let you manually correct workouts with better calorie burns.

Even the Charge HR needs lifting manually entered, but at least it allows you.
  • leooftheyear
    edited September 2015
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

i got ripped apart because people are saying "oh another one of those eat more people" and "of course they're not accurate" im sorry im not one that believes if im not losing weight i need to automatically decrease my calories!

i've really had to coach myself into not being the "OMG I GAINED 2LBS MUST CUT CALORIES" i'm so much happier seeing gains in the gym/with my runs than any number on the scale.
  • leooftheyear
    edited September 2015
    Options
    :)