Cake, bread and all things evil

Options
minties82
minties82 Posts: 907 Member
edited September 2015 in Social Groups
Evil for my body anyway. Wow, what a weekend. It was my partners birthday and his mum made TWO cakes, for a small amount of people. I haven't eaten cake since last year and was like a possessed person, I must have inhaled almost half of a cake. And then there was home-made bread. Yep, no bread for months and months and I ate it like it was an every day food.

I'm not going to beat myself up, I did enjoy eating it and had a good weekend. But holy cow, my body is terribly unhappy. Bloated, sluggish, farting constantly, diarrhoea, headaches, and I feel so tired and just not hungry and kinda sick. My gut feels full of air and it hurts.

I've had slip ups before but nothing this epic. Is it best just to plunge back into a calorir restricted keto WOE as I was in before, or eat keto till satisfaction and ease back into things? I'm not at all in the mood for logging, or eating for that matter.

Replies

• Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Eat keto when you're hungry again. You won't die if you miss a few meals while your system gets rid of the garbage.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I had cake and ice cream yesterday as well for a birthday. My tummy hurt last night but other than feeling a bit hungry and craving more sugar today and a slight headache I don't feel too bad. I'm going to drink lots of water and hope no further side effects.
  • spacetastic
    spacetastic Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This was me last weekend, still farting lol! >:)
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Jump back in!!

This too shall pass, and in the rear view mirror will be a great lesson learned!
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    If real cake/bread/cookies...etc... is present I have a hard time resisting (if even). But the longer I am LC the more these evils make my tummy hurt when I indulge!

Glad you are not beating yourself up for it though. Just go back to Keto and it will all work out in the end!

I tried microwave chocolate cake with almond flour once, the type you make in a coffee mug... yuck! But I had better luck with grain free hamburger buns... again almond flour. Tasted a bit like corn bread. But I'll try that one again.

Anybody tried to make oopsie bread? Made out of eggs and cream cheese, very yummy and LC... best with melted butter on top. Lots of recipes online for it.
  • minties82
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thanks dudes and dudettes. It was a 3 day cake eating festival, and I may have eaten my weight in chocolate rum balls also.

Keto food even looks gross, I had some eggs and butter for breakfast but amazing how the carb cravings have arrived. All I feel like is butter and honey on toast, I even got the toaster out and then got hold of myself and chucked the bread out for the sparrows. I may fast for a day or two I think.

I have tried oopsie rolls, I don't like them with sweetener but they are tolerable as a savoury dish.

I gained almost 4kg in 3 days! I'm off to put in a good weight lifting session, after all, I must have lots of easy to access glucose for my muscles right now...
  • LadyMcClure
    LadyMcClure Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sugar hangovers are the worst. I never worry about counting calories after a day like you've described, I just make sure to keep my carb count even lower than usual (less than half of my normal intake), drink lots of water and exercise. I know it sounds like the LAST thing you want to do but trust me when I tell you that cardio (I go for a 4-5 mile jog) makes me feel a million times better. YMMV but that's what works for me.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    As they used to say in Texas, "That'll learn ya!" :)

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    110 pounds down, 24 to go. 12 months 3 weeks on diet
  • minties82
    Options
    What do they say in Texas now?
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Maybe...how bout them apples?
  • inspirationstation
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    Keto food even looks gross, I had some eggs and butter for breakfast but amazing how the carb cravings have arrived. All I feel like is butter and honey on toast, I even got the toaster out and then got hold of myself and chucked the bread out for the sparrows. I may fast for a day or two I think.

Way to go you! You stopped the cycle. Hang in there!
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    We had a birthday party this last weekend for my son and I just stayed away from the cake and ice cream. I've only started my 4th week so I'm really scared to try it. This is interesting though, yesterday I thought for my snack I'd have a low carb protein bar make with a tiny bit of sugar and stevia. It had a total of 7 grams of sugar so I thought it would be safe. Ended up too much sugar because I was overly hungry for the rest of the day. That will teach me! I just need to stick with the Atkins coconut almond snack bars as they have the right balance of fat and protein. I do love these lessons we learn about what we can eat and what we can't eat!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Thanks dudes and dudettes. It was a 3 day cake eating festival, and I may have eaten my weight in chocolate rum balls also.

I have tried oopsie rolls, I don't like them with sweetener but they are tolerable as a savoury dish.

I gained almost 4kg in 3 days! I'm off to put in a good weight lifting session, after all, I must have lots of easy to access glucose for my muscles right now...

@minties82 This recipe made me think of you!

http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2014/12/grain-free-christmas-rum-balls-vegan-paleo-dairy-free-low-carb-keto/

That being said, something else to consider would be adding a fermented food. It can add/restore the bacterial gut balance that will help you ditch the misery sooner. I know you've read but I've added Kombucha - a fermented tea that resembles a fruity unsweet flat beer/wine/champagne to my taste buds. It took 3-4 days to get used to. Last night, we used barrel cured sauerkraut with bratwursts, which were seven levels of awesome. I don't know what you might have that would tempt your taste buds, now or normally, but the more I've done this, the better I feel.

Plus, if your stomach (and gallbladder or lack thereof) can handle it, a good 6-12 hours of water/salt fast is a great thing to reboot you. Crazy levels of ketones and banishing cravings... Might get you out of carb recovery hell faster!

SO SO awesome that despite the side effects, you are taking it in stride. That is a HUGE NSV in my book.
  • clayswife13
    clayswife13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If real cake/bread/cookies...etc... is present I have a hard time resisting (if even). But the longer I am LC the more these evils make my tummy hurt when I indulge!

Glad you are not beating yourself up for it though. Just go back to Keto and it will all work out in the end!

I tried microwave chocolate cake with almond flour once, the type you make in a coffee mug... yuck! But I had better luck with grain free hamburger buns... again almond flour. Tasted a bit like corn bread. But I'll try that one again.

Anybody tried to make oopsie bread? Made out of eggs and cream cheese, very yummy and LC... best with melted butter on top. Lots of recipes online for it.

I am planning on trying oopsie bread was wondering what it was like, thanks!
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options

I'm actually dealing with this a little today. It's Day 10 and the low carb flu seems to have returned a bit (my calorie deficit was also too low).

So I woke up wanting all things carby. So I said to myself, "How about eggs, butter, and cheese?" My suddenly not-ravenous self went, "Well nah, then, maybe later."

Later came and I did eat a big meal, though. It's just like with a spoiled toddler, sometimes you have to insist!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    What do they say in Texas now?

Not sure....its a very old school phrase...they get lost as generations go and new ones are made....

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    110 pounds down, 24 to go. 12 months 3 weeks on diet
  • minties82
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Well back on the road to low carb heaven, thanks everyone for your help :-). Weight is down 2kg, another 2 to get back to where it was last Saturday morning.

@KnitOrMiss I'll see if that kombucha stuff is available in New Zealand, thank you!

Those rum balls look delicious, also unsure about the products used to make them though, I shall google. I have seen hemp flour and hemp lollipops, but not hearts. Google is not being hopeful, there are only really hemp protein powders and hemp seed oils. I also have not found almond flour anywhere yet :-(
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Fast?
  • minties82
    Options
    I thought about it, but I have binge eating disorder and I feel it will lead to a destructive period of fasting and overeating.
  • catjrow3
    catjrow3 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I love oopsie rolls. I like to use them for French toast. Egg yolk, cream, cinnamon, then butter after and sine sf syrup, my favorite