Strength training

Options
lokihen
lokihen Posts: 382 Member
Looking for thoughts on when to add in strength training. I've got the cardio/recumbent bike as a habit now, but nothing else. Does it even matter at this stage when I have another couple years of weight loss ahead of me?

Replies

• Miss_Mania
    Miss_Mania Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Dude I say get in there and strength train now. I've been doing both since I started the gym. Muscle burns fat. So get in there and get your popeye on lol. I enjoy strength training as well, makes me feel like im accomplishing something and my muscles always thank me for it. I think if your questioning it then you have your answer. Just incorporate it into the routine you have already established a few times a week. Good luck!
  • ScrAgnX
    ScrAgnX Posts: 368 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Strength training would help prevent loss of muscle and/or strength while you are losing fat.

I haven't started, but plan to after the 5K in a few weeks. There's a few good beginner routines that look like they'd be pretty quick and not as equipment intensive. If you do start, start with complex motions (not isolation movements; i.e. leg press machine, curl machine, etc.) to increase your whole body's comprehensive strength; Isolation is for when you're wanting to increase only one muscle.
    • AllPro (my chosen path)
    • Starting Strength
    • New Rules of Lifting (or NROL for Women)
    • etc.

I would start when you're interested in maintaining strength, and after you feel comfortable with your schedule now (don't want to overload yourself and fall off the track).