Any Primal/Paleo Endurance Athletes?

Options
I'm moving toward eating more Primal/Paleo. Already eliminated processed crud a few months ago, focused a lot on just increasing my produce intake. Working on making sure I get enough protein and fat now.

I've been hesitant to give up rice, quinoa, beans/lentils and decreasing my fruit intake because I like to run (3-5 miles 4-5 days/week). But I know that fat loss will come much easier if I do reduce my carbs to below 100g and give up the beans and grains at least for a while.

I am going to dedicate October to eating Primal/LCHF (no grains and no legumes, as tough as that is for me) and I plan to keep running. Hoping to find some support and wisdom from other Primal/Paleo endurance folks!

Replies

• karryann1710
    karryann1710 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't usually post on the boards
    I only run one day a week( 6-10 miles) as well as 3 boot camps, and 3-4 weight training sessions.
    I have eaten primal/LCHF for 21months, I have no issues with any of my training regards energy. I keep my protein up and take on enough fat, my carbs are around 50g from veggies, nuts,& dairy.
    Last saturday I did a 15k(10miles) obstacle course race/mud run. I had no issues with energy levels, my body seems to manage well as a fat burner. Just my experience, but I don't think its unusual.
    I'm sure more experienced endurance folks will be a long soon.
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't usually post on the boards
    I only run one day a week( 6-10 miles) as well as 3 boot camps, and 3-4 weight training sessions.
    I have eaten primal/LCHF for 21months, I have no issues with any of my training regards energy. I keep my protein up and take on enough fat, my carbs are around 50g from veggies, nuts,& dairy.
    Last saturday I did a 15k(10miles) obstacle course race/mud run. I had no issues with energy levels, my body seems to manage well as a fat burner. Just my experience, but I don't think its unusual.
    I'm sure more experienced endurance folks will be a long soon.

That is a great distance for one run/week! That race sounds like fun! Thanks for sharing your experience! I plan on starting lower carb next week so I can get adjusted before the winter race series I plan on doing. The more I read the more it sounds like there are so many benefits of lowering carbs and especially eliminating grains to performance. I do know that when I adhere to a grain-free diet, my digestive issues disappear.

• 68Runnergirl
    68Runnergirl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes and the occasional Larabar have helped me with energy when running. Sometimes, you do need an extra boost!
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    You can go one of 2 ways...you can become fat adapted, where you draw your energy from fat (low carb) OR you can try to do carbs within the Paleo template. I would recommend Paleo Diet for Athletes, but for you it may not be necessary if you choose between the 2, you are not running big distance to where it is dire to make a choice. What is your preference, carbs or fat?