Family

Options
It never fails. When I get around my family it triggers all out binging. They are bad influences, but even when they behave I can't. Plus I binge on sugar before and after their visit. Can't figure out why they do this to me. Fortunately I only see them a few times a year, but its always a major diet disaster.

Replies

• Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,147 Member
    Options
    I used to do that. For me? I think I felt like I was "inadequate" or not as important as some other family members ( in my family of origin....) Also, there were some "hard to please"--- and I felt empty, as I thought I was missing something I should have essentially gotten from them. After awhile, I learned not to expect things from people who were incapable of following through......or unable to nurture in ways that I wanted.
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are stress eating , before because of the apprehension of going to family event and after because your body is now screaming for more sugar. I am basically the same way, if food is out, I want to eat no matter what. I usually would get sick because I eat so much. The only thing that works for me right now is an elimination diet. I don't eat any food that can cause a trigger in me. It is hard, but my cravings are completely under control. I know at some point I will have to start adding back some food, but right now I am doing ok.
  • Sherryfood95
    Sherryfood95 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I think dootzy is on to something. I feel inadequate so looking for a lift plus everything else. I will never compare to my other more favorite sisters and just can't get over it when I'm with them. I try not to fall off the wagon but it still hits post visit. I geuss at least it's a shorter binge if I delay.
  • Embera
    Embera Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    i live with my family witch is also a stressor i dont prepare meals well dinner its fend for yourself the rest of the time i can usually do pretty good until dinner its hard to track cuz i dont know what is and i frequently over eat because i dont know
  • Sherryfood95
    Sherryfood95 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    When I lived at home I didn't eat their meals. I think I existed off of a baked potato for dinner every night. Brought my lunch to work, and had a set breakfast that I made. If I ate their food regularly I would have gained.
  • Embera
    Embera Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Call someone or reach out FIRST (if you can manage it). If you feel you have no one you can call, start asking people if they'd be accountability partners for you so, in the future, you know you have someone to talk to when you feel like binging.

this is great advice and ive tried this but i havent found someone who can or is that intrested in itor me to actually talk regularly if u know of a group or somewhere to look id really appreciate it my issue is im up really late i dont get home till usally after 10most days and im usally up to about 2 and i feel guilty if i call someone late plus our family dosnt eat till at least most days
  • katnoir1
    katnoir1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I think part of it is also about old habits. Like my grandmother used to always spoil us with chocolates and treats. Now whenever I'm at her house, even as an adult, I always start to crave sugar and inevitably end up raiding the pantry. It's an old association and its hard to break. I'm trying to take my own food with me when I go, or avoid hanging out in the kitchen when I get there.