What is your favourite sugar-free sweetener?

Options
2»

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Swerve (basically a combination of erythritol & oligosacharrides & natural flavors), liquid sucralose, liquid stevia, torani sugar-free flavored syrups and also Just Like Sugar (chicory root, vitamin C, calcium and flavor from orange peel).
  • vikashsinha
    vikashsinha Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I use splenda, but only for tea
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Stevia. It is an acquired taste I that d it the first time I tried it! I only use it in iced coffee though. Any tea I drink is unsweetened.
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I can't do heavy cream in my tea but I've got canned coconut milk on my grocery list. Maybe the creaminess with my makeup for the lack of sweetness.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I can't believe anyone said Monkfruit. By far my favorite. A close second is Splenda. You can buy Monkfruit in Walmart. I buy the brand called Monkfruit in the raw.

If you haven't tried it, you're missing a tasty sweetener.

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I will share these names with the daughter. I am sure she is going to want to make some of the dishes mentioned in Dr. Davis' book.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Can't stand stevia. Xylitol is a convincing sugar substitute for me, but it is not carb free so you have to watch it.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    I can't believe anyone said Monkfruit. By far my favorite. A close second is Splenda. You can buy Monkfruit in Walmart. I buy the brand called Monkfruit in the raw.

Ok... My grocery list is getting longer by the second. Do you buy the actual fruit or does it come as a concentrate or something? Today is grocery day so I will look for it.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options

You didn't steer me wrong on the ham
    so Monkfruit's on the Walmart list.
    I could do without the stevia aftertaste.

o:) OR >:)

• annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I've been using Now Foods "Better Stevia" I bought off Amazon. It's pure powdered stevia with no additives or filers, and it tastes great. I haven't noticed an aftertaste at all. It just tastes like sugar or splenda to me, and it lasts forever because you use so little. I keep lemonade on hand now and just a teaspoon sweetens the whole pitcher!

I'm adding monk fruit to the list too. I'm curious now.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »

Ok... My grocery list is getting longer by the second. Do you buy the actual fruit or does it come as a concentrate or something? Today is grocery day so I will look for it.

l74o3jgyxw5i.png

They are normal paper packets just like all other sweeteners. here is the first one that popped up on a search. I just go down to Walmart and get them.

I hope this helps,
    Keto / Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    113 pounds down, 22 to go. 13 months on diet
  • DittoDan
    Options

You didn't steer me wrong on the ham
    so Monkfruit's on the Walmart list.
    I could do without the stevia aftertaste.

o:) OR >:)

Ditto that. I actually bought a ton of stevia, and I'm thinking of giving it away or throwing it away.

I hope this helps,
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    NO! Dan, send it to me!!!!
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Weaning from the need for sweetness I think is HARDER than giving up favored carb foods..too many decades of sugar/AS in our foods, our tastes are so degraded we respond like the rats who chose Oreos over Morphine in trials. Just sayin' Peronally I am having a hard time trusting any sugar/sugar replacement for a variety of reasons.
    Dr. Mercola and toehrs like him hate Aspartame, Dr Bernstein (diabetes expert) LIKES it, but says Truvia (erithritol) spikes BG… so what to believe?

Carlsoda "Stevia and Erythritol which masks the strange licorice flavor from Stevia. (yes I work in the food industry and have some inside knowledge)"
    +++++++++++
    UH, it LISTS the two ingredients on the packets. no hidden secret. <grin> most people who don't like stevia is due to the licorice/bitter aftertaste which is common knowledge

BUT. CARLSODA....If you CAN get your hands on the two 1980s-90s? studies of Stevia--one saying it is mutagenic, and the rebuttal saying the first study was flawed , then THAT would be helpful .
    FDA does NOT allow stevioside to be added as a sweetener to food directly, but allows it to be sold independently so YOU can use it that way??…. apparently the "stevia" now is diet sodas is rebaudaside A not the stevioacide component? is this correct??

Unfortunately KAL brand is doctoring their $$$$ liquid with maltodextrose* now ( typically a GMO corn derivative), so I am testing plain green powdered stevia, and may try growing my own plant. BUT will that present the mutagenic effect from the leaves alone?

ALL the commercial stevia sweeteners in powder form have some added dextrose and or maltodextrose for cheapening/covering the taste.

Saw an article on Truvia that Cargill has to do 40 chemical production steps to process the two ingredients just to get to erithritol+stevia that is 70% as sweets table sugar….
    http://www.foodrenegade.com/is-truvia-healthy/ <<<Some haters on this product out there.{she also does not reference the suds on mutagenic* effects..so not full disclosure on the "mother nature" side either.

**Production -from wikipedia
    Maltodextrin can be enzymatically derived from any starch. In the US, this starch is usually corn; in Europe, it is commonly wheat.

**A study on the mutigenic aspects ( study was said to be flawed) of the stevenoids in Stevia keep it from being approved by FDA used IN foods, but only sold as a non-sweetener additive..go figure. apparently the chemistry to get Stevia we THINk we are buying is actually much more complicated..

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/it/efsajournal/pub/1537
    Scientific Opinion on the safety of steviol glycosides for the proposed uses as a food additive

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truvia
    "Cargill manufactures Truvia’s erythritol by processing corn into a food grade starch which it then ferments with yeast to create glucose and then processes further to create erythritol
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I use the pure powdered stevia. The key with stevia is to not use too much...and using too much is VERY easy with the pure stuff. If I accidentally use too much, it has an unpleasant aftertaste. But if I just use a tiny bit, there is no aftertaste at all and it tastes like sugar to me.

I've also used xylitol a few times for baking...even straight that tastes exactly like sugar.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    NO! Dan, send it to me!!!!

Send me a self addressed stamped envelope, and I will. Send me a MFP private mail, and I'll give you my address.

Dan
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »

l74o3jgyxw5i.png

They are normal paper packets just like all other sweeteners. here is the first one that popped up on a search. I just go down to Walmart and get them.

I hope this helps,

I went on a scavenger hunt for monk fruit and was disappointed to discover that all 3 of the brands I found only had monk fruit as one of the ingredients after erythritol... :(
  • DittoDan
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You had me worried for a moment, I just checked mine to see if it had erythritol in it....it doesn't... :) The box is very light, so if you ordered online, the shipping should be nominal.

tfs9ry048m04.png
    I hope this helps,
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    @dittodan but surely dextrose is a sugar?

"Dextrose is the commercial name used for the crystalline glucose produced from starch. If the crystallized dextrose (glucose) contains no water, it is listed as “dextrose anhydrous” or “anhydrous dextrose” in an ingredient statement. If the crystallized dextrose contains one molecule of water, it will be listed as “dextrose” or “dextrose monohydrate” in an ingredient statement. The majority of the dextrose listed in food ingredient statements began as cornstarch." Off of the interweb...

Just a thought.