Keto friendly meals for the whole family...

Options
4031isaiah
4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
I am the grocery-getter and the cook in our household. In the beginning, I would just pre-make a bunch of Keto-friendly meals for myself and freeze them, then pull them out one at a time and have that much while I serve my family a "normal" meal or I would make a typical family meal and pick through the parts I can eat.

Since we love our family meal time, having something separate or making obvious modifications to a meal just so I can eat with my family still feels isolating and not sustainable for me.

Does anyone have Keto friendly recipes (preferably dairy-free) that even your significant other and/or children enjoy?

Replies

• Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I grew up eating pot roast with baby potatoes, onions, and carrots (I didn't eat the carrots, you don't have to eat the potatoes). Easy to cook, too, just throw it in a crockpot, few hours later you've got dinner!

I also love crock pot turkey thighs with black pepper, curry powder, a little salt, and some garlic tossed in. My son likes it, too. If your kids look forward to holiday turkey meals, you might want to try something like that.

Edit: If you have small children, pick the bones out for them, and turkey legs, sadly, are full of sliverly little bones to pick through, as is turkey breast as I recall (I only had it once, I don't care for it, too expensive and dry!)

• Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I make a protein main dish with a low carb side. My non-low carb family gets starch side and bread if they want it. About 50% of the time they dont even want it.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids and a husband, none of whom eat keto-style. Family meals are often meat, plus veg, plus starch. Easy for all to work with.

Also I'll make a big pot of keto friendly chili and we'll eat off it 3 days.

First day: chili bowls, with rice for them but not me. Cheese and sour cream add ins.

Second day: chili dogs, made using boar's head beef Frank's. I skip the bun and just slice 1-2 Frank's into my chili and add cheese and a bit of yellow mustard.

Third day: chili Mac. I whip up a quick home-made Mac n cheese or the husband makes kraft dinner. Add chili. I opt out of the Mac part.

Roast dinners are another good one, also things like chicken Alfredo I can easily eat with no pasta.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Also, things like taco meat are very versatile...my guy puts his in a baked shell with beans and stuff while I have mine without...

I don't cook non-keto except once in a blue moon. I do mainly what @Keto_T does...make a meat and a side, and a starch thing and bread... I use butter, cheese, and any manner of fatty awesomeness added to my stuff if I need more than the standard.

This week was chicken alfredo - he did noodles, I did without - and brats with sauerkraut. I did mine with just spicy brown mustard, he added buns, ranch style beans, pasta salad, and potato salad...