anti-inflammatory diet?

Options
boohooboo
boohooboo Posts: 51 Member
so just got my bloodwork back after 4 months of LC eating. i have not lost a ton of weight -- 10 pounds (and i have lots to lose), but my tryglicerides went down 100 points since my last blood work, so hooray there. my cholesterol still stinks. but what worries me most: my level of inflammation is off the charts, as in hope-i-don't-have-a-heart-attack-soon :(

i'm wondering whether anyone else out there has levels of inflammation out there like mine and whether they were able to improve their levels through diet, even as a LC eater. (any other pointers are graciously appreciated :-)

thanks!

Replies

• Standsfast
    Standsfast Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Something to consider: Are you eating a lot of high histamine foods? Foods that are aged/fermented/processed? Like olives, pepperoni, aged cheeses, wine? Many foods are high in histamine. Histamine and inflammation go hand in hand.
    Google histamine and inflammation. See bio.davidson.edu
    All my latest favorite foods are on the high histamine list. AAAARG
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I actually started keto partially as a way to reduce inflammation. I know sugar and grains seem to make my autoimmune issues worse, plus i was prediabetic, so I gave it a go. So far it has helped with symptoms. My crp has never been high, even when I have a flare up, so I doubt lab tests will reflect that for me.

I can't help you much there, except it appears sugar are among the worse foods for inflammation... Perhaps the rise wasn't food related?

For cholesterol, did your HDL go down? LCHF usually raises it, which is good. Did they do an LDL profile too? Usually the vLDL decreases and the large LDL increases - also good even if LDL actually goes up a bit.
  • boohooboo
    Options
    my HDL has always been high -- i love peanuts and almonds. unfortunately, my LDL has always been high, too. this diet didn't change my HDL -- but my ratio continues to be acceptable, so no one ever puts me on meds. my hs-crp was 10.2 -- which is crazy high, like "ready the hospital bed, kids! ready. i'm wondering whether my immune deficiency and my autoimmune conditions play into that number some how. in any event, i won't see the dr to interpret the numbers til next week, but i want to go armed with questions. after all, he is the one who told me to go low carb in the first place. maybe i need to tinker with my diet some? and yes, i do eat cheese every day, though it's gouda. (and it's good-a! haha. see what i did there? sorry. it has been a loooooong day.) i hardly have wine, i hate olives (though i cook with olive oil), i don't eat pork so there goes the pepperoni... so maybe it is mostly cheese? how sad. as one who doesn't love meats and fish much, cheese has been one of my most go-to protein sources.

back to square one, i guess.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I've never had mine measured. What do they measure, CRP?

Edit: looks like we cross-posted.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART03424/Elevated-Creactive-Protein-CRP.html

When checking CRP for arthritic and autoimmune disorders, a level of 10 mg/L or lower is considered "normal."
  • boohooboo
    Options
    When checking CRP for arthritic and autoimmune disorders, a level of 10 mg/L or lower is considered "normal."

that's good to know. in fact, i think i may have just calmed down. thanks for that. :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I have been eating this way for a year. Arthritis pain was well managed after 30 days and all systems have improved that has been tested. For 8 days I had some sugar but stopped last night after the kids 18th birthday bash.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I hope your doc figures it out. I had really high ESR (not borderline or medium high, way high), and all but one doc just shrugged at it. That doc couldn't figure out what it was about, either. I had an ankle thing going on at the time, he figured it was that. (Also had a few other things going on.)

Have you experienced any injuries or illnesses recently? Do you have symptoms of anything obvious? That could be it.

If it's a huge jump from four months ago, immediately prior to making a massive dietary change, with absolutely no other injuries, illnesses, or symptoms, I guess it's not crazy to think that could be related.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I was on the road last week and the kids birthday was a couple days ago and I have had some sugar for the first time in about one year as a test of what Dr. William Davis states in his last book called Wheat Belly Total Health.

He is not Pro sugar but not Anti sugar like some but he is Anti Grains for sure. I have gained 3 pounds over the last week and do not plan to eat more sugar. I did not knowing eat any wheat however.

Tonight I found and watch one of his videos and a lot of the stuff that I missed in the book 'clicked' for me concerning inflammation. I found him to be an entertaining yet serious speaker. What I watched tonight is linked below. Our 18 year old daughter started reading the book today after she asked for her own copy since she has been developing arthritis for a few years now.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qeyKvCkxp2o
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Something to consider: Are you eating a lot of high histamine foods? Foods that are aged/fermented/processed? Like olives, pepperoni, aged cheeses, wine? Many foods are high in histamine. Histamine and inflammation go hand in hand.
    Google histamine and inflammation. See bio.davidson.edu
    All my latest favorite foods are on the high histamine list. AAAARG
    You just described my diet....oh dear. I sneeze a lot in the mornings and am convinced it is food related as it's terrible if I eat sugar. But I had wondered why I was still getting this reaction now I'm low carb. Now I know...
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Through this woe I have been able to eliminate foods that cause negative symptoms. Even foods considered lc have been causing some symptoms that I didn't realize were food related. Elimination of these foods has changed my life and I am sure it will continue to improve as time goes by!