NO Love for " the Tunnel of Carbs" at my grocery store

Options
The best elcheapo grocery, employee owned is a nightmare to enter.

You must pass by the "amazing deals of the day" often high carb packaged foods, cakes, fresh pastries RIGHT THERE, then once you get past them there is a long long aisle leading to the Veggies..far, far away, lost into the future… I call it the Tunnel of Carbs, and the reason why 80% of the poorer residents of this remote costal town are obese.

Boxed taco shells, beans, candy, marshmallow cream, fruit rollups, candied anything, high sugar dressings.. on and on….. I tell you..it is almost not worth it to go there.

Then I remember the prices, and the Kerrygold butter is lowest in town, tons of veggies, meats, and fruits are low priced. HWC is cheapest anywhere $3.12, as is Almond Milk. (Safeway has HWC at $7.50 a qt now!!!.and this is dairy cow country!)

On the way out is an amazing hot pizzeria right in store.. $2.12 for a huge slice of fresh baked cheesy pepperoni or sausage pizza..OMG…save me. ( they also package the deal for $3.25 and include a huge sugary soda, and a Mexican pastry..no wonder the people who come here from subsidized housing across the street are enormous)

When I look at this store, and the more upscale Safeway, I can see why more than 70% of All AMericans are overweight or obese. ( Oh, they do have hot fried "chicken bar" in the back too!…..but a $5.00 whole roasted chicken is also sold, so there are choices for LCHF.

Replies

• Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    By employee owned do you mean a real collective? Because I'd put up with a lot of nonsense and temptation to support one of those.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Most stores are set up that way unfortunately. The first thing I pass in Trader Joe's is the bread and baked goods/dessert area. The good news is ignoring the carb aisles makes my shopping very fast and efficient...some aisles I don't go down at all, and others I can't avoid I just walk through without slowing down. I'm in and out of there much quicker than I used to be because I can ignore half the store.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I shop mostly the outside aisles. My family eats gluten free too so I need the "health foods" aisle which is near the end, and shares shelves with the dog and cat food.... not sure if that's a judgement from the management or not. ;)
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    I love all the bakery smells. They can't hurt me.
    Dunkin Donuts & coffee, the aroma is to die for.
    They aren't my kind of carbs.
    LC has pretty much killed my desire for that stuff
    but it still smells good.

o:) OR >:)

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    My publix is designed to walk you right through the bakery. It's not a huge deal. The only thing that I find consistent is the fact that the meat counter is always at the back of the store. So, I'm going to walk past a lot of inedible stuff no matter what.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    AZURLAZ-By employee owned do you mean a real collective? Because I'd put up with a lot of nonsense and temptation to support one of those.

Called "Winco", it had another name before it became employee owned (WinCo Foods, Inc. is a privately held, majority employee-owned American supermarket chain) we do also have a Northcoast CO-OP, very fancy version where the public joins/pays for membership discount, but anyone can shop.

Our HFS has 2 entries- one in the coffee/sweets/ deli counter area so people can grab a $5.00 muffin, or a quiche, vegan/special foods, hit the salad bar and sit at a little table to eat, or leave. MOST groceries here have an in-store little deli with hot meal items ready, and compete directly with fast food this way.

…or the other entry which has sale items stacked up…meat is always in the back.. and I like to see ALL the aisles, as many foods are found nowhere else in the county, plus big vitamin/herbs aisle, lots of magnesium products, tinctures, etc.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Winco is awesome, but I agree the set-up sucks for low carb.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    AZURLAZ-By employee owned do you mean a real collective? Because I'd put up with a lot of nonsense and temptation to support one of those.

Called "Winco", it had another name before it became employee owned (WinCo Foods, Inc. is a privately held, majority employee-owned American supermarket chain) we do also have a Northcoast CO-OP, very fancy version where the public joins/pays for membership discount, but anyone can shop.

Our HFS has 2 entries- one in the coffee/sweets/ deli counter area so people can grab a $5.00 muffin, or a quiche, vegan/special foods, hit the salad bar and sit at a little table to eat, or leave. MOST groceries here have an in-store little deli with hot meal items ready, and compete directly with fast food this way.

…or the other entry which has sale items stacked up…meat is always in the back.. and I like to see ALL the aisles, as many foods are found nowhere else in the county, plus big vitamin/herbs aisle, lots of magnesium products, tinctures, etc.

Wow, I just read about it. Not quite a collective, but I would definitely shop there exclusively if I lived anywhere near it. Amazing how it's possible to sell food at a decent price and not screw workers over, isn't it? And yet we're all told it can't be done. Good for them!