una-q roll(low carb sushi)?

There's a sushi restaurant near my university. They serve some called an una-q roll, which a reviewer on yelp says is low carb. I don't see any rice in it, but I also can't identify what there is in it. Anyone heard of this? I'd love it if there was a lunch/day date place right down the street with a low carb option actually on the menu. But I'm unsure just how low carb this would be.

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    I googled it. They're talking about a unagi (eel) roll that looks like it's specifically made in a low-carb style.

o.jpg
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Oooh. Could you describe the flavor and texture of a typical one? I've never tried eel.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    I'm not a fan of eel. Salty and soft is what I remember. My wife loves it, though. I asked her to described, and she said "you can't -- it'll gross people out." I guess it's an acquired taste. :)
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    I love that occasionally I can get "cucumber paper" wrapped sushi roll. The place I go Uses real crab, yellowtail , avocado wrapped in a super thin cucumber paper. They call it kabuki roll.
    So good, low carb and hits the spot
    Just beware of imitation crab... It's loaded with carbs!!!
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Looks like avocado and crab wrapped in seaweed and avocado with grilled eel... I may have to try making this myself. :D
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    If the (unagi) eel was soft, it's not properly prepared. It's actually very good, not really fishy like salmon skin. It's actually my favorite roll. Yes, it's a bit salty but that's what attracts me to it (I love salty savoury stuff).