Candy in the Workplace?

Options
E_Brault
E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
I need help. To make a long story short - as part of my job, I am to put candy on display as I sell the company product. I would prefer to hand out water, but it is not cost effective. I would have to pay for it out of my own pocket and it would be too heavy with all the other stuff I have to carry.

I have been really good at home - I got rid of all the sweets, cereal, pasta and rice.

Any suggestions? The candy is now in the trunk of my car - calling my name.

Eileen

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    If you've been at this for a few months, you could consider it a test. For many people, it's no longer a matter of willpower. It's a change of mindset. For me, candy holds no power. (Unless it's dark chocolate, then we're talking kryptonite.)

If you're still relying on willpower, then you're playing with fire. Bring some nuts or other low-carb snacks with you. Place the candy on the other side of the booth where you can't reach it. And say a little prayer. :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Yep. If you're going to have to have it there, you are going to have to find a way to resist. If you find you are still having sugar cravings, maybe you are consuming too much sweet tasting foods. Even sugar free sweetness will trigger those cravings in the brain for many people, me included. I have to keep my sweet flavored stuff to a bare minimum or I start wanting more.
  • E_Brault
    Options
    I like it! Thanks. I have lost 43 pounds and I don't want anything to foil my efforts. You are right! This could be one of my baby steps. I have mastered the supermarket. I don't go out to eat often, but when I do I have no problem asserting that I cannot eat like I used to. I select restaurants which have food that "works" with my food plan.

Baby steps ...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    E_Brault wrote: »
    I like it! Thanks. I have lost 43 pounds and I don't want anything to foil my efforts. You are right! This could be one of my baby steps. I have mastered the supermarket. I don't go out to eat often, but when I do I have no problem asserting that I cannot eat like I used to. I select restaurants which have food that "works" with my food plan.

Baby steps ...

It sounds like you have cultivated the right mindset to avoid the candy. Though I understand being a little concerned about it. I'm feeling that way with Halloween coming up... But overall, I think I will get through with no problem.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Halloween should be interesting! This will be my first low-carb Halloween. Maybe we should have a Halloween Hotline -- step away from the candy!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    Hallowe'en poses no issue for us in my house, but my kids are in their early 20's. We stopped giving out candy about 3 years ago, in favour of chips and raisins, even though we rarely eat foods like that ourselves. The yucky horribly sweet tasting conventional Hallowe'en candy has no attraction for us, since we buy way better quality chocolate for our own consumption, and even our intake of that has gone down dramatically over the years.

This year, we are skipping giving out treats completely, so there is no reason to buy any of that stuff. I figure that the kids likely don't like my organic treats that much anyway. We will go out to parties instead.

@webmaster, it is possible to say "no". You already prefer the good, dark chocolate. You don't need to give in to the crappy stuff.

We also make seasonal treats like pumpkin chia seed pudding with whipped cream on top. We have silicon molds in pumpkin and skull shapes and make homemade peanut butter cups with dark chocolate and either almond or peanut butter, no sugar added of course, just a bit of sweetener. We started making fat bomb type of things before we even knew that such a thing existed. You can have a taste of Hallowe'en and stay keto !
  • E_Brault
    Options
    Thank goodness I don't do Halloween. For Thinksgiving, I think I will buy some appetizer spoons and have very small portions of everything. Lol

o7n07iiz9aj0.jpg
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    If I were up against this candy dilemma....
    I would buy Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. B)
    I didn't like them before this WOE.
    They'd be safe for me now. :smiley:

>:) OR o:)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    If I were up against this candy dilemma....
    I would buy Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. B)
    I didn't like them before this WOE.
    They'd be safe for me now. :smiley:

>:) OR o:)

That's a good idea. I'll try to get something I didn't really care for before. Though... There's not much I didn't like! lol
  • E_Brault
    Options
    I don't think there is any candy I don't like.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    Too bad you have to have candy nearby at work. If you love candy this much, it will be hard for you to resist.

I used to have a big candy dish in my office at work. The staff loved it, but I was spending 10-15 dollars on candy every month, and I thought nothing of having some myself. Then I gave it up but still bought it for work, until I'd had enough! There's no way anybody needs candy! Why should I support other people's bad habits ? I have no use for it. We simply don't need the sugar. In fact it's harmful to us.

Now that I have taken charge of my health, there is no going back for me. Candy has no attraction for me anymore. I can have it nearby, but don't want to eat it. Most of the time, just the smell of it sickens me though, so I don't want it around at all.

Here's another motivator to keep me away from it. My boss always has candy on her desk, and eats it all day, in fact overheats the wrong kinds of foods or non-foods constantly. I have watched her gain approximately 50 pounds in a year and a half and I fear for her health. We started out at about the same size when I met her, in fact even had some of the same tops, size 2X. I am sure she is now a size 3X if not larger, and the new clothes I bought recently were all size Medium! Add to this picture the fact that she is not a happy person and is having much more difficulty simply trying to walk, and I think you get the picture that this is not the kind of person I ever want to be again.

No piece if candy is worth risking any part of the good health that I am enjoying now. It's garbage and I don't need it. Besides I'm not finished my weight loss journey yet, so will not jeopardize my plans.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I have a giant bowl of suckers and mints on my desk for clients. They are eat to resist because I'm not a fan of suckers. I do keep a bar of dark chocolate in my desk for when I want something sweet. Halloween will be tricky because we put out the good candy instead of suckers. It will be interesting to see what happens. My advice keep dark chocolate or something else you like nearby to treat yourself and not think about the other stuff.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Fight fire with fire: make yourself some LCHF candy at home! Store it in the freezer or fridge (depending). Take some with you on in a little cooler with some ice on a daily basis so you can safely indulge your sweet tooth and avoid undoing all of your hard work! I have a wicked sweet tooth so I am always making and eating goodies. lol For example, today I made salted caramel chocolate chunk ice cream and then had some for breakfast. BREAKFAST!! LOL Have I mentioned that I love this WOE??!! There are a lot of good LCHF recipe links in the "sticky note" section of this group. I suggest you check out some of them because I'm sure they will have some sweet recipes that will sound good to you and tempt your palate.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I'm with @Knitormiss on this one. Candy has now become poison to me. The benefits I've seen have been so great that the carbs have lost all power over me!

We have lots of trick or treaters and live in a neighborhood that participates heavily. This will be my first year LCHF too, but I've already been buying candy (costs too much to buy all at once imo). It's in the pantry closet, where it will be until Halloween. I have no desire for it! That's what this woe has done for me! :smiley:
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Fight fire with fire: make yourself some LCHF candy at home! Store it in the freezer or fridge (depending). Take some with you on in a little cooler with some ice on a daily basis so you can safely indulge your sweet tooth and avoid undoing all of your hard work! I have a wicked sweet tooth so I am always making and eating goodies. lol For example, today I made salted caramel chocolate chunk ice cream and then had some for breakfast. BREAKFAST!! LOL Have I mentioned that I love this WOE??!! There are a lot of good LCHF recipe links in the "sticky note" section of this group. I suggest you check out some of them because I'm sure they will have some sweet recipes that will sound good to you and tempt your palate.

Do you have a recipe, please?!?!?! Sounds fantastic!!!

Halloween isn't such a big deal over here in the UK, thank goodness, but we would sometimes get a handful of trick or treaters. I buy one small bucket of hard lollipops and have never been tempted anyway.

However Christmas will be a whole different kettle of fish: gingerbread house, Christmas cake, mince pies, yule log... How will I get manage to resist the "tastes of Christmas" as I have always seen them? I will have to make Christmas spiced nuts or something. I think Christmas eve and Christmas day at my mum's I will just conform to the whole carb thing (maybe miss out the potatoes) so as not to be a hassle, but then get back on track when we get back home.

Has anyone else been through Christmas the LCHF way?
  • E_Brault
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »

Now that I have taken charge of my health, there is no going back for me. Candy has no attraction for me.

I really will have to adopt this attitude. Thank you for your response. I know sugar messes with my body's ability to absorb vitamins. That is reason enough!

• Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options

However Christmas will be a whole different kettle of fish: gingerbread house, Christmas cake, mince pies, yule log... How will I get manage to resist the "tastes of Christmas" as I have always seen them? I will have to make Christmas spiced nuts or something. I think Christmas eve and Christmas day at my mum's I will just conform to the whole carb thing (maybe miss out the potatoes) so as not to be a hassle, but then get back on track when we get back home.

Has anyone else been through Christmas the LCHF way?

Keto-fy everything. Last year I made a completely keto-friendly Thanksgiving meal, along with faux sweet potato casserole (cauliflower plus a bit of pumpkin), garlic mashed cauliflower, and two different types of keto dessert. The only indulgence was homemade cranberry sauce, I make it myself and it's amazing. My non-low carb family ate EVERYTHING, and asked me to cook again this year.

I am not familiar with British Christmas tradition, in my Russian-American family that time of the year means buckets of Russian potato salad (I subbed out potato for cauliflower, and made my own mayonnaise), cold cuts, cheese, smoked and/or pickled fish, and baked chicken with sides. I made a few keto desserts as well. Again, complete hit.

Long story short, you can have your keto feast, and eat it too (but keep an eye on the calories because it's so yummy).
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    For me, I'd play with how it really is. This candy is intended for customers to lure them in and become interested in your product right? Well, you are not a customer, and the candy is not intended for you to consume. Just take the focus off of that candy being there and available for you to eat as a free for all. Make it off limits.