Does anyone have Gout?

Options
E_Brault
E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
I'm borderline and need to know if there is anyway to neutralize acids (like OJ or tomatoes) when cooking. Thanks

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Ask your dr. I had 1 gout attack but it wasn't bad enough to go on medication.
  • E_Brault
    Options
    My doctor told me it was borderline and not to worry about it, but I was hoping to eat preventatively.
  • vegetarian2626
    vegetarian2626 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    i have suffered from gout for over 10 years and i been trying to fix my gout by natural ways, but when i get a bad one then i have no choice but to go on strong neproxen tablets, there is no other way it get better, during that time its very hard to get to even bathroom from my bedroom

getting back to your question i found taking vitamin c on regular basic keep the attacks at bay
    celery seed seem to be helpful too keep attacks off, b complex vitamins suppose to be good too

top of everything always keep stomach clean cos constipation seem to trigger uric acid problem
    mine is usually triggered by playing too hard at badminton for 2-3 hours a day
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    My husband had gout really bad about 10 years ago and I did a lot of research and basically cured him through diet alone. He really doesn't take any medication anymore although he did have one bout of it earlier this year, ate too many beans (dried variety in soup) and had to go in and get a round of steroid treatment.

Basically, we went completely vegetarian for about two months and in addition to all meats and seafood we also stayed away from beans/lentils, asparagus, broccoli, whole grains, any food with xantham gum in it, which includes virtually every salad dressing on the market so I made our own, no alcohol, light on the dairy (especially cheese) and we pretty much cleaned the uric acid out of his system. Also cherries are good for combating gout.

I think the triggers are a bit different for everyone, his are beans/lentils, red meat, lobster, turkey and any broth made with a lot of bone material. I use a lot of vegetarian broths for soup and add meat later without any of the bones. Citrus and tomato don't bother him at all...............
  • E_Brault
    Options
    Thank you both for responding. Every little bit helps.
  • anniesgolden
    anniesgolden Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My father-in-law drinks a glass of cherry juice every day, says it keeps his gout at bay.
  • Ron_in_NC
    Ron_in_NC Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I see that the last post in here was back on Oct of '15, but I too have gout, and remember the first time I got it, back around the year 1999 (maybe). Went dancing with my gf at that time, and on the way home, my foot started hurting..thought it was from too much dancing. By the next morning, I couldn't even stand on my right foot (big toe). Found out it was gout. Worst feeling/pain ever! Fast forwarding to the present....I take an Allopurinol every day (prescription). Keeps the gout away. Had several attacks over the years, since that first one.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Glad Allopurinol works fine @Ron_in_NC :star:
  • Ron_in_NC
    Ron_in_NC Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Thanks RodaRose! :)
  • Cavspider
    Cavspider Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I have the gout. Everything bad starts with "the" where I come from. The diabetes also known as the sugar, the direrear also known as diarrhea to normal people. It all starts with "the"...

Now, to the question at hand. My triggers are organ meats. Liverwurst, fried chicken livers, beef liver, pate....can't eat any of it. Not sure if there are any others. Those are the ones I have figured out. I have had bouts when I have not eaten organ meats, that I recalled eating anyway. But if I eat that stuff, I will be in pain.

I have found that the heavier I was, the more I had attacks. Losing weight has helped a lot.

Drinking lots of water has helped, it flushes the system. Also, I eat tart cherries and drink tart cherry juice when I feel something coming on both of which are supposed to reduce uric acid level build up. I often incorporate tart cherries into my regular snacking as a preventative.

I hate the idea of taking medicine. So, I am doing whatever I can to delay the likely inevitable.

Good luck!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    I had it for years really bad (in my 30s and early 40s). Since I've lost weight and cleaned up the diet, I never have it any more. Would agree with others on the Tart Cherry though. Tart Cherry is supposed to help flush the Uric Acid. My wife has been drinking Tart Cherry and taking Tart Cherry Extract supplements along with Curcumin (Turmeric) and had a lot less joint pain as a result.