These rolls/buns are amazing!!

Options
sofiajp
sofiajp Posts: 5 Member
edited September 2015 in Social Groups
This is my first post so I hope I do this right!
I made these tonight and omg- amazing! I have tried so many recipes and have been so disappointed. But these are very bread like. They have a slightly chewy crust and are soft and fluffy on the inside. My hubby , who isn't low carb, begged me to make more.

I did make a few changes only because I didn't have a couple of things. I added flax meal instead of whole flax seeds and chia seeds instead of sunflower seeds. And I added 1tbsp of hemp hearts.

According to my calculations each bun is about 3.5 net carbs.

http://thelowcarbreview.blogspot.jp/2013/04/swedish-breakfast-buns.html?m=1

2s07nu7rkfkx.jpg

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Definitely making these.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Those go look delicious. Thank you for sharing
  • carom
    carom Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Yum, these look great :)
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Do they keep? I've made Keto Buns before but they were really only good when fresh. It'd be good if there was something you could make that keeps for a few days, even in the freezer.
  • sofiajp
    Options
    Do they keep? I've made Keto Buns before but they were really only good when fresh. It'd be good if there was something you could make that keeps for a few days, even in the freezer.
    I haven't tried it but on a Facebook group I was told that they freeze and thaw well. Also I made mine last night and this morning they are still soft. I will toast one later for lunch.
  • LisaAnn642015
    LisaAnn642015 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the recipe can't wait to try it been craving carbs and missing bread lol! It's ok though when usually every other day I've dropped a pound :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know what you could substitute for the psyllium husk powder? I don't have any, and have no interest in purchasing any. I have hemp seeds (hulled), chia seeds, golden flax seed meal, almond meal, coconut flour, and maybe something else. Xantham gum and the like...

Appreciate in advance.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss this is what google told me. For 1 tblsp Psyllium husk count:
    1 – 2 tblsps coconut flour
    2 – 3 tblsps Pofiber*
    1/2 tblsp Carob flour
    or a mixture of all these

I also have no psyllium husks and I want to make these tonight so I'll try with coconut flour. :)
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Look great! Thanks! Pinning.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss this is what google told me. For 1 tblsp Psyllium husk count:
    1 – 2 tblsps coconut flour
    2 – 3 tblsps Pofiber*
    1/2 tblsp Carob flour
    or a mixture of all these

I also have no psyllium husks and I want to make these tonight so I'll try with coconut flour. :)

Awesome thanks!
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    319 calories and 9g carbs (4g net). Seems ok for a very rare treat I guess.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Just made them for dinner. Meh. Just taste like a basic almond flour bisquit and mine didn't puff up like the picture.
  • sofiajp
    Options
    Just made them for dinner. Meh. Just taste like a basic almond flour bisquit and mine didn't puff up like the picture.

Oh I'm sorry to hear that ! I made one batch and forgot the baking powder and while it tasted good it was dense and not what I was hoping for. Made it and added the baking powder and they were so different- fluffy and soft inside.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    I'm betting if you added a tad of liquid and some spices it would brighten them up a bit. Almond and coconut flour can be a little bland. And maybe increase the baking powder a smidge? Haven't made them yet. Just been too busy.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    MADE THESE!!! A Great "real bread " treat! I used all the ingredients exactly. I won't complain at all on taste as these are the ONLY bread type food I have ( the LaTortillaFactory low carb seed-based whole wheat tortilla is perfect, but at 8 gr protein for one 8" I was looking for something else, and they are 18 carbs, 12 fiber, but 6 net carbs..that is playing games I think.

..and to answer some questions here is what I would change next time for a different flavor:

1. use ground hempseed hearts, to replace the whole sunflower seeds/flax, I think any nutty replacement can work as it is filler.
    2. Will use the psyhillium husk, but use a bit more and add cinnamon and similar flavors- nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice?
    3. add sweetener? for a 'sweeter" type roll with no added seeds
    4. Cocoa or other flavorings? sure why not try them?

NOTE: Mine did not rise up as high as the ones shown here, but I loved them anyway.
    Sliced one in half this morning, toasted, and splurged by adding organic blueberry suryp for 12 carbs.

I used parchment paper on a round 9" pie pan. I used reg. flour to dust my hands to make the "rolls", but flattenend them out a bit .maybe this is why the didnt rise as much

I'd use just Almond flour with NO added coconut flour-- it is so dense it doesn't fluff up as well, with all the wetness of egg/oil/SC it might be too dense, but if anyone tries i'd like to learn how it went.

Am going to cheek the link and look for the total protein. I scarfed 2 of them at dinner , with butter, last night, but one a day is prolly better for my macros.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    edited October 2015
    Options
    OK the bad news is these are NOT 3.5 carbs..at least 8* carbs each. and protein is 11.

By adding butter and blueberry syrup to ONE roll it was ~500 calories..boohoo..oh well..Sunday splurge!

* 3/4 C Almond Flour - 480 Cal 9 Fiber 42 Fat 18 Pro 18 Carb 3 Sugar

so the carbs in just the flour is 4.5--then add in the rest to get ~ 8 per roll

(I did not deduct fiber just to see the harsh reality….Jimmy Moore talks about getting into trouble by using fiber to mask the reality of carbs consumed) YMMV
  • rushmore194
    rushmore194 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Those look great!!
  • KETOGENICGURL
    Options
    CINNAMON VERSION a success!

OK I made this exactly the same, but eliminated the seeds-flax & sunflower..and increased Psyillium by 1/2 TBL..

Added 2 tbl Stevia in the raw (no other sweetener on hand- will try something else next time or skip it)
    Added 1 tbl cinnamon ( should have added vanilla too but forgot)

the results were delicious, no "sour bread' taste..and great with butter.

Also for sweet taste I am going to make a lemon flavored cream cheese 'icing' and put sweet taste in that way.

For someone who doesn't cook/bake much at all this is a fast and easy recipe wit great results.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Want to make these soon as a vehicle for tons of butter and marmite. What is the difference between psyllium husks in general and psyllium husk powder? Is one just finer than the other?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Does anyone know what you could substitute for the psyllium husk powder? I don't have any, and have no interest in purchasing any. I have hemp seeds (hulled), chia seeds, golden flax seed meal, almond meal, coconut flour, and maybe something else. Xantham gum and the like...

Appreciate in advance.

This was my question too, thanks.