How quickly did the low carb flu start for you

2»

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    For those of us who don't like salt on our food.
    Morton"s Lite Salt is pretty good & a good source
    of potassium.

Sunny_Bunny started me on this. :smiley:

>:) OR o:)

Im glad it's helping you too. I love it. It's super easy and way cheaper than buying more supplement pills.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Chew gum while you work!
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    Something that seems to happen quite often is "drinking a lot water", but that means you need even more salt. There is a balance of sodium and water to feel right. Lots of water and normal sodium levels dilutes it and can produce the same feeling as if the sodium level were low. Just be aware of this. Drink all the water you want, but keep the balance in mind.

As a runner, I've heard of people getting hyponatremia during marathons, especially in hot weather due to high intake of water and not replenishing sodium. I'll make sure to track that. I have been drinking a lot of water (more than my usual 64 oz)

Day 4 today, and feel ok - yesterday I was SUPER cranky and pretty low energy. I'm going to try running this morning to erase the crankiness. Hopefully, I have enough energy!

My favorite salt to put on food is himalayan pink sea salt. It supposedly has more minerals than regular table salt.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Never really noticed Keto Flu. I did carb reduction very gradually, not intentionally, it just took some time to figure out the right foods. I also like the pink sea salt and ate high sodium fish - kippers, sardines, smoked salmon, etc. all along. Leg cramps are still my bain if I don't pay attention. The magnesium suggestion helped.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member

As a runner, I've heard of people getting hyponatremia during marathons, especially in hot weather due to high intake of water and not replenishing sodium.

Last December I ran a quarter marathon. I finished up, drank a bottle of water, and promptly blacked out. Thankfully, I was there pretty much by myself and no one noticed. I googled the symptoms after I got home (since this was my third or fourth time passing out after a workout), and found hyponatremia. Apparently, it can get you if you take NSAIDs before a run. Long story short, eat your salt, and be careful of working out after you've taken a pain pill.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    @slimzandra, don't forget potassium too. I was taking magnesium and getting sodium in but was still having leg cramps at night, sometimes to the point of feeling sore for a few days like a pulled muscle. I broke down and added a potassium supplement too and haven't had any more leg cramps! I guess I am the type who will always have to supplement.