I'm in!

Options
After a couple of weeks of reading around this forum, clicking on links, hearing other peoples stories and generally swotting up on the EM2WL philosphy I think this might just be the place for me. Now I just have to work out the best way to begin. So I thought I'd start a thread so that hopefully some of you smart, knowledgeable and more experienced people could throw in your two pennies (or cents) worth and help me come up with a plan (please).
A bit of history.....I started seriously trying to lose weight 3 years ago and after around 2 years I reached the weight I am now 9 1/2 stone (133lb) after a loss of 5 stone (70lbs). I tried various things on the exercise front but learned that for me home workouts (I do have a lot to thank Jillian Michaels for) and some running was sustainable most of the time, along with 1600 calories a day.
In the last year I have put on 7-10lb three times which I have then had to 'diet' off again. So really I have either been adding weight or removing it rather than maintaining. Now I'm looking for a new way to approach my relationship with food and exercise that I can continue for life.
I'm not unhappy with my weight and at at tad over 5'6'' and 50 years old I don't look too bad (I think). The JM dvds have allowed me to build and keep some muscle although of course that isn't progressing due to the low calories I'm eating much of the time. I'm not carrying a lot of fat but I do have loose skin issue especially around my stomach and like a lot of other women my chest has definitely suffered in the process. I hope building up some muscle will help to fill me out in some areas, and reduce the odd fat spot..............or am I being too optimistic here?
I intend to start a dumbbell routine at home three times a week, run for 30 mins twice a week (it's good for my head) and slowly increase my calories. My TDEE is different on different sites but the numbers seem to be between 2000- 2300, does this sound about right?
I'd really appreciate any advice and/or comments as this is a big leap for me and I'm struggling to believe I can ever reach a point where I can eat normally and not have to keep reducing my calories to keep up me weight loss.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Since this is a food site - can we be part of the peanut gallery and throw those? :p

The spot reducing is indeed rather optimistic - you can always hope, but better to just do what should be done and let it melt from wherever it happens to.

Do the JM DVD's have you increasing intensity by increasing weight, or do they get limited by the fact you can only move so fast to the beat of the music?
    Because unless the muscle gets overloaded by weight - body has no desire to add more, it'll just get as strong as it can with what it's got, and that can be a surprising amount from just better form and total muscle involvement.

Remember if doing the rough 5 level TDEE charts that it only talks of exercise - nothing about daily which is assumed to be coach potato at work & home outside exercise.
    If that's not true, the level should likely be 1 higher.

For the strength training to be useful for muscle mass, confirm your reps are between 5-15 with failure on last couple of last set, rests between sets 2-4 min depending on big or small muscle. Major muscles first (like don't waste time on curls or tricep kickbacks when every push or pull movement works those already), compound using multiple joints better (like bent over row compared to curls).

While you spend time slowly increasing calories, should also confirm accuracy of food eaten for at least 2 weeks minimum, to really know where accuracy is at. So weighing all food if not already.

Lose skin has been reported by many to be taken care of during recomp or bulking as long as not too extreme an effect.
    And you'll be very close to that potential doing the minor deficit for only 7-10 lbs to lose and lifting routine.

You might also see another TDEE estimate by using this.
    Just TDEE please, better than 5 level TDEE charts.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G7FgNzPq3v5WMjDtH0n93LXSMRY_hjmzNTMJb3aZSxM/edit?usp=sharing
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Joining Heybales in the peanut gallery B)
    Do use his doc.

If you want to do a good dumbell routine, here is a link to a good one sarauk2sf has posted in the group she moderates, Eat, Train, Progress:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/902569

Also there are good body weight exercises posted on youtube that work well when doing just dumbbells. You are Your Own Gym is a good book on that topic as well. Here is a link to get you started on this type training, no gym required, a park will do:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/04/12/playground-workout/

Remember fat loss is slow, water weight gain fast. When you're discouraged, read the postings here and on the EM2WL website, they have tons of success stories there. Oh and the single most important thing I personally have learned in my first year of retirement is, the best exercise is the one you enjoy and want to do over and over again. I love all the strength exercising I have started and plan to continue to do it till the end.

Enjoy the journey.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    @retirehappy - I keep meaning to ask if you've joined the arm wrestling circuit yet, either competition or the exhibitions?

;)