News article: "Can a low-carb, high-fat diet help fight diabetes?"

Options
aSearch4Me
aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
edited September 2015 in Social Groups
This story ran in the mainstream Indianapolis newspaper this weekend about a weight loss clinic in Indiana with a LCHF focus. I thought some here might find it interesting & encouraging.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2015/09/27/can-low-carb-high-fat-diet-help-fight-diabetes/72923878/

Here's a link to the TedX-Purdue University talk the physician did last May: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ

Happy Monday, everyone!

Replies

• Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I love the fact that the doctor interviewed said that it boggles her mind that the diet and lifestyle change is ignored in favor of medication. Of course it would. A change in diet and lifestyle is more or less free. Medicine costs money. Medicine that manages a chronic condition instead of curing a disease costs money for life. Of course doctors/pharmaceutical companies would rather create repeat customers.
  • AppetiteControlFreak
    Options
    Insulin is tough on the body to take per my doctor

He strongly encourages diet and exercise to avoid meds
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    aSearch4Me wrote: »
    This story ran in the mainstream Indianapolis newspaper this weekend about a weight loss clinic in Indiana with a LCHF focus. I thought some here might find it interesting & encouraging.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2015/09/27/can-low-carb-high-fat-diet-help-fight-diabetes/72923878/

Here's a link to the TedX-Purdue University talk the physician did last May: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ

Happy Monday, everyone!
    What a great article ! Thanks for posting it!
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I just found it hilarious, because a local family member who gave me A LOT of grief when I started this WOE 4 months ago ("that's soooo unhealthy", "you're just going to gain it back", "you're going to have a heart attack at 35"... yada yada ad nauseum), was talking about the article at the dinner table yesterday like she had discovered something great & new...lol.

I just kept my eyes on my buttered steak to keep from rolling my eyes in a sarcastic fashion... :smirk:
  • KSMussey
    KSMussey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    LCHF did not fight type 2 diabetes for me, IT CURED IT!!!
    Started LCHF May 1, 2014 and within 3 days my blood glucose went down and within 1 1/2 months my doctor cut all my diabetes meds. On my last visit to my doctor he said I was no longer diabetic and he was resolving the diagnosis to non-diabetic. He told me I am only the second person he has done that with and both of us used LCHF to do it.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    KSMussey wrote: »
    Started LCHF May 1, 2014 and within 3 days my blood glucose went down and within 1 1/2 months my doctor cut all my diabetes meds. On my last visit to my doctor he said I was no longer diabetic and he was resolving the diagnosis to non-diabetic. He told me I am only the second person he has done that with and both of us used LCHF to do it.

Amazing! So many people need to know about this. So few do.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    Amazing! So many people need to know about this. So few do.

So true. I have a hard time not preaching LCHF to every person who complains about weight/mood/blood sugar issues. Folks, please, don't suffer, lower your carbs...
  • jillmcafee
    jillmcafee Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    KSMussey wrote: »

Wow! That is so cool! Congratulations! And kudos to your doctor for recognizing a solution for you.
  • TBeverly49
    TBeverly49 Posts: 322 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    This is basically where my doc and nutritionist come from. Its fantastic! It also shows that there are more than one theory to which one is right or wrong. I go with Dr. Hallberg!

PS I'm going to share this article with family and friends!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    LCHF seems to have stopped my prediabetes too. :)

I wish my old doctors had seem that. My endocrinologist told me to eat more fruits and veggies, leaner meat, and follow up with my GP. I never went back. LOL
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the article. It is encouraging for the future health of the country. Getting off sugar and all grains was a game changer for me at the age of 63.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    "Some people that try the rigorous diet find that sticking with it can be tough"
    Really? Probably has nothing to do with carb addiction or not correcting for sodium loss huh?
    And don't people find sticking to any new diet tough? This kind of language plants seeds that grow into "that sounds too hard" or "I could never go without bread". :/
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    "Some people that try the rigorous diet find that sticking with it can be tough"
    Really? Probably has nothing to do with carb addiction or not correcting for sodium loss huh?
    And don't people find sticking to any new diet tough? This kind of language plants seeds that grow into "that sounds too hard" or "I could never go without bread". :/

I think it is tough. Then again, I think anything not involving as much cake and ice cream as I want to eat every day is tough. Even though I know it improves my energy and mood to avoid these foods.

And avoiding the cake and ice cream doesn't sound nearly as tough as going blind and losing limbs and then dying horribly and painfully from the effects of diabetes sounds.

Imagine if we still had the Fairness Doctrine and after every Nutella commercial we got to see what a gangrenous diabetic foot looks like?
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Lillith32 wrote: »
    I love the fact that the doctor interviewed said that it boggles her mind that the diet and lifestyle change is ignored in favor of medication. Of course it would. A change in diet and lifestyle is more or less free. Medicine costs money. Medicine that manages a chronic condition instead of curing a disease costs money for life. Of course doctors/pharmaceutical companies would rather create repeat customers.

SO GLAD TO KNOW I NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO HOLDS THIS VIEWPOINT!!!! Hear, hear!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

I think it is tough. Then again, I think anything not involving as much cake and ice cream as I want to eat every day is tough. Even though I know it improves my energy and mood to avoid these foods.

And avoiding the cake and ice cream doesn't sound nearly as tough as going blind and losing limbs and then dying horribly and painfully from the effects of diabetes sounds.

Imagine if we still had the Fairness Doctrine and after every Nutella commercial we got to see what a gangrenous diabetic foot looks like?

That's what I mean though. No matter what, they tell you to change your diet and it's tough for pretty much everyone. And you're right, if someone thinks not having carbs is tough, well it's gonna be a sad day when life gets really tough because of disability.
    I see this happening with my sister.
    A few years ago it was "I'm just hypoglycemic, I just need to eat this high sugar/carb food and I'll be fine." Then it became "I've gained so much weight and I'm in a lot of pain from fibromyalgia and arthritis so I can't do anything about it". Then it was "I'm pre-diabetic and I don't want to take medicine because of the bad side effects so there's nothing I can do about it". Now it's "I'm diabetic and on medicine so I'll get better now, but I don't feel good and my pain is worse than ever and I just keep gaining weight. Pass me the sugar so I can put more in this sweet tea cuz it doesn't taste like it has any in it".
    Her life is becoming increasingly difficult and painful and the hardest thing in the world she can think of doing is not having her sweets and satisfying every craving.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options

That's what I mean though. No matter what, they tell you to change your diet and it's tough for pretty much everyone. And you're right, if someone thinks not having carbs is tough, well it's gonna be a sad day when life gets really tough because of disability.
    A few years ago it was "I'm just hypoglycemic, I just need to eat this high sugar/carb food and I'll be fine." Then it became "I've gained so much weight and I'm in a lot of pain from fibromyalgia and arthritis so I can't do anything about it". Then it was "I'm pre-diabetic and I don't want to take medicine because of the bad side effects so there's nothing I can do about it". Now it's "I'm diabetic and on medicine so I'll get better now, but I don't feel good and my pain is worse than ever and I just keep gaining weight. Pass me the sugar so I can put more in this sweet tea cuz it doesn't taste like it has any in it".
    Her life is becoming increasingly difficult and painful and the hardest thing in the world she can think of doing is not having her sweets and satisfying every craving.

Been there, done that!!!
    Got my loud wake up call.
    Moving on down the road!!!
    It's a shame it works that way.

:naughty: OR :innocent:
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

Been there, done that!!!
    Got my loud wake up call.
    Moving on down the road!!!
    It's a shame it works that way.

:naughty: OR :innocent:

I know. I just wish people struggling could know what so many here have learned. I wish people didn't have to get so sick before they decide to help themselves.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Sounds like my in-laws. It's so disheartening to have the solution to their problems and not being able to get them to even try for a month.

I think they do it intentionally. They put out the headlines to get people to read and talk about it, because people are doing it and starting to talk about it anyway, but then plant the "but it's really hard (*whispering voice* and could be dangerous *end whispering voice*)" seed to keep people toeing the ADA/AHA/Pharma party line. They try to have their cake and eat it too, basically, so they can say "but see? We say it's a good thing (for the people that can stick with it)!"
    Lillith32 wrote: »

I'm starting to think it's a long game for population control while making bank off of the populace in the meantime. Get them fat and sick before they even hit puberty, and they'll die of it or the drugs at a younger and younger age. Picture what it will look like in about a century -- people die young enough, and you don't have this three-generation workforce, because two of the generations are dead, and you have a population a third of the size it is now (and no, birth rate isn't likely to go up drastically to compensate, with sickness comes reduced fertility and increased miscarriage rates).
  • Standsfast
    Standsfast Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Many people forget or don't realize healthcare is a business.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    I'm starting to think it's a long game for population control while making bank off of the populace in the meantime. Get them fat and sick before they even hit puberty, and they'll die of it or the drugs at a younger and younger age. Picture what it will look like in about a century -- people die young enough, and you don't have this three-generation workforce, because two of the generations are dead, and you have a population a third of the size it is now (and no, birth rate isn't likely to go up drastically to compensate, with sickness comes reduced fertility and increased miscarriage rates).

SO THIS!!!! I've held this thought personally for the past year. I usually don't openly express because it sounds sounds rather conspiracy theory to other people. Just our good ol' government in its myriad forms helping us die right on time (according to THEIR schedules). Thank you very much but no, I'll pass on that option and stick to my own scheduled LONG, HEALTHY, HAPPY life. lol