What's up with my nose??

Options
DianaElena76
DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
Seriously, I am SO sensitive to smells now! I can't walk into a department store or down the hall in my office if there are any perfumes or colognes around without my eyes burning, my sinuses swelling, and my stomach turning. I've posted recently about other smells making me nauseous. If my husband puts on body spray or cologne in the morning I want to throw up. I can't even use certain shampoos or lotions anymore because the scent is nauseating. Is this a function of low carb? Has my body finally started telling me how bad unnatural things are for me? Is there anything I can do about it besides avoiding the world and everyone (who smells good) in it?

Replies

• greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    You sure you're not pregnant? LOL! I was always hyper sensitive to smells when I was pregnant.
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    You sure you're not pregnant? LOL! I was always hyper sensitive to smells when I was pregnant.

Good golly, no! But that's what it feels like! I got fixed last November. :blush:
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I am the exact same way when I'm in ketosis. It's so strange. I can cut an onion and 5 days later can still smell the onion on my hand even though hubby says he can't. I work in a nursing home as a care aide....so the sensitive smell is NOT a good thing ;)
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I am the exact same way when I'm in ketosis. It's so strange. I can cut an onion and 5 days later can still smell the onion on my hand even though hubby says he can't. I work in a nursing home as a care aide....so the sensitive smell is NOT a good thing ;)

Right there with you. When I cut dairy too I turn into a bloodhound. It's not always a good thing!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    At first I thought you wrote "What's up my nose?" and I thought that was an awfully unusual game to play. LOL

I've always had a sensitive nose. I can't say I've noticed it increasing. Pregnancy was the worst for me. The smell of my skin, upper lip included, made me sick. I must have washed every hour for 3 months. LOL
  • DianaElena76
    Options

Oh no!!! I am nauseous just THINKING about some of the smells you must encounter on the job.....
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    At first I thought you wrote "What's up my nose?" and I thought that was an awfully unusual game to play. LOL

I've always had a sensitive nose. I can't say I've noticed it increasing. Pregnancy was the worst for me. The smell of my skin, upper lip included, made me sick. I must have washed every hour for 3 months. LOL

Hahaha, yeah, so for my 2yo the other day it would have been the spout of her sippy cup. My husband says, "Why is she the nasty one?" So I reminded him that our 3yo picks her nose and eats it if I don't catch her with a tissue first. LOL
  • AngInCanada
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »

Oh no!!! I am nauseous just THINKING about some of the smells you must encounter on the job.....

....yeah.....not good. ;) If only worked in a bakery. Mmmmmm. A low carb bakery that is.
  • DianaElena76
    edited September 2015
    Options

....yeah.....not good. ;) If only worked in a bakery. Mmmmmm. A low carb bakery that is.

And equally oh no! I just realized I'm probably going to have to encounter many such nostril offenders on my new job in a geriatric psych unit. :neutral: ETA: ANY inpatient unit would be bad!
  • AngInCanada
    Options

And equally oh no! I just realized I'm probably going to have to encounter many such nostril offenders on my new job in a geriatric psych unit. :neutral: ETA: ANY inpatient unit would be bad!

LOL My trick.....a tiny little container of vicks to keep in your pocket. A little rub of vicks under the nose before doing my job and it helps. :)
  • DianaElena76
    Options

LOL My trick.....a tiny little container of vicks to keep in your pocket. A little rub of vicks under the nose before doing my job and it helps. :)

Great idea! I actually have a tiny sample bottle of Digest-Zen essential oil blend that I keep on my desk at my weekday job. It helps when I start feeling queasy. I may just carry that with me on my weekend job as well. I dab a bit on the back of my hand sometimes at work for easy and less obvious sniffing. Perhaps a dab under my nose will help on the unit.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Coffee beans in a tin would help, too, D. That being said, I have lost a lot of my sense of scent due to allergies. So maybe the low carbing cut down on your mucus production that may have been inhibiting that sense of smell previously? I'm finding that my smeller is cutting in and out now, so I have some minor hopes that it will return.

Though, I've always been super sensitive to perfumes and colognes, and still have to leave the room if my guy puts his on... I love the scent of it, just makes my nose burn and my stomach knot up if he puts it on when I'm in the room or I'm near him in the next 5-10 minutes. Maybe the alcohol content?
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    Well, as I was doing payroll at the nursing home today....where I used to be a health care aide too years ago....the housekeeper came into my office this am and started squirting spray cleaner around the room and wiping down the desk as I worked. It instantly made me feel nauseous and I told her I felt like I was going to throw up. She continued on, while I had to get up and leave the room.
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    And there's no way I'm pregnant either, lol !
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how sensitive I am when in ketosis.

I don't want to sound all mystical and crap, but in a ton of ways it feels like I'm more aware and in tune with my body and it's senses.

Plus, eliminating sugar and carbage removes the dulling from overload and you notice stuff you didn't before.
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    That's true, I do feel like my senses are working better all around, and my energy if through the roof ! I feel like Wonderwoman !
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I have a cold, and am strangely grateful for the lack of super sniffering! It's a special kind of hell to walk into class and smell, distinctly, at least 15 perfumes. The rest blend together to smell like dead animal every.single.time.
  • phxteach
    phxteach Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I had to have myself declared ADA 'disabled' by my perfume sensitivities so [b]I [/b]wouldn't get in trouble when my students kill me with perfume, hand sanitizers, you-name-it. Pregnancy compounded that for me. I think those of us 'allergic' to carbs are more sensitive to a lot of the environmental smells/toxins. I use Kirk's unscented Castille soap. It's natural, probably LCHF even :)
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    nicintime wrote: »
    It's amazing how sensitive I am when in ketosis.

I don't want to sound all mystical and crap, but in a ton of ways it feels like I'm more aware and in tune with my body and it's senses.

Plus, eliminating sugar and carbage removes the dulling from overload and you notice stuff you didn't before.

Yeah, I guess this is what I'm wondering. Increased sensitivity to a lot of things really.