Coconut Oil Cravings / Musings

Options
nicintime
nicintime Posts: 381 Member
Part of my routine, and a "new" discovery for me personally in the last 4 months has been so called Bulletproof Coffee in the morning. I brew my coffee, heat a large Starbucks cup in the microwave for 30 seconds, then put it in a blender with 15-20 ml of unrefined Coconut Oil, and about 15 ml of KerryGold butter, no artificial sweetener because I've never really liked sugar in my coffee anyway.

Delicious!

I expected to not like it (think "butter in my coffee?!? yuck!") and was surprised how good it is.

Now keto adapted my cravings are gone, but I have a new one - more of my BPC! I still only drink it in the morning, but I find myself craving it. A lot.

So it has me wondering if that butter and coconut oil are being "anticipated" by my body now in the morning. Because I'm primarily fat burning, it seems like this is way more than me just "liking the taste" of that coffee in the morning, or more than just my caffeine addiction.

The 260-300 calories of wonderful fat plus being keto adapted mean I'm not hungry until mid afternoon and allow me to Intermittent Fast without even trying.

But I find myself anticipating that morning fat jolt way more than I thought I would, and wondering if something is going on besides just good coffee.

Sorry for the ramblings.....

Replies

• Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but somehow Asprey has been able to sprout this nonsense that BPC is fasting. 300 kcal is more than enough to chase glucagon away. One of the hormones vital for lipolysis. the body's mechanism for burning from STORED fat away. Meaning, when you have BPC easy cals, the body gets busy metabolizing the caloric intake.

If you really enjoy drinking BPC for satiety, then do it as a choice, a liquid breakfast. And, IMO, if it works for you...why not? :)
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    NIC--I also have come to live the butter morning coffee..really enjoy just ONE cup..when I try 2 it isn't a satisfying and blows 300 calories I need for later ( 1450 a day)

I thought the same..butter? but WHAT is butter?.. but heavy cream that got all beat up to thicken into butter, eh? ( my mom had an old wood paddle churn, and I got to make butter and learn it isn't yellow… and that the butter council FOUGHT like crazy to keep yellow dye out of margarine products as it implied 'butter'.

Having BOTH is lovely, where I am fasting or not…it works for m and I don't eat until 2-4 pm.

"somehow Asprey has been able to sprout this nonsense that BPC is fasting."
    FOAMROLLER-- do you mean 'spout'? most people may not know who/what Asprey is.
    I've also seen good argument that a real breakfast of real food calories is better nutritionally..but of course MOST people are used to 3 meals a day.

those of us who NEVER like breakfast are happy to buy into the "all fats" coffee, if it works, even psychologically, why not.
  • nicintime
    Options
    No bubble bursting here - I realize that bpc is not fasting. If I am doing a "formal" fast the coffee is black. My post was about my body and the fat, not about fasting.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Ever since I started adding coconut oil to my coffee, I find I want more. It is to the point where I usually skip breakfast, and often lunch, because I would rather have my BPC... Weird. I wasn't like this when i just added coconut cream of heavy cream. There's something about the oil I think....

I try not to fuss about it. I also add a half serving of protein powder to my coffee along with the coconut oil and a bit of cream. I get my fat and some protein. Each coffee is between 200-400 calories. I'm good to go until mid afternoon. I'm still nursing a BPC along now (1pm).

The only problem is the caffeine. I now have to add some decaf to my morning coffees or it is just too much caffeine (I'm up to 8 cups per day on my coffee maker, or almost 3 large coffees).
  • nicintime
    Options
    I love it, but something in the back of my head bugs me a bit too.

I may do a week without as an experiment.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    My first cup is make up of coffee, cacao, coconut oil, Heavy Whip Cream and Shilajit. At 800 calories it is far from fasting plus I eat another 500 calories with the coffee for breakfast.

I do LCHF (started by accident for pain management before I heard of the term LCHF) for pain management because after cutting out sugars and grains it worked well in only 30 days. That was a year ago. I think the 5 tablespoons of coconut oil every morning helped hear my leaking cut issues perhaps.
  • Foamroller
    Options
    nicintime wrote: »
    No bubble bursting here - I realize that bpc is not fasting. If I am doing a "formal" fast the coffee is black. My post was about my body and the fat, not about fasting.

Oops, I'm sorry! You're right. Ouch, didn't mean to threadjack.

Well, the CO and MCT even more so provides fast energy. MCT is metabolically like keto candy. So maybe that's what you «crave»?

• Foamroller
    Options
    @KETOGENICGURL. Yes, lol. Sorry, English is not my native language. I'm terrible with pronouns fex. Good catch! :)
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I've had a bit of the opposite effect, unfortunately. I overdid it for awhile (in coffee, cooking with it, drizzled on my food, off the spoon sprinkled with a little salt) and now I find too much makes me nauseated.

However, I'm going to try to add a little to my coffee and heavy cream in the morning, maybe a smidge of butter, too. I do like how full it makes me. I just went coconut oil crazy for awhile!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    I've had a bit of the opposite effect, unfortunately. I overdid it for awhile (in coffee, cooking with it, drizzled on my food, off the spoon sprinkled with a little salt) and now I find too much makes me nauseated.

However, I'm going to try to add a little to my coffee and heavy cream in the morning, maybe a smidge of butter, too. I do like how full it makes me. I just went coconut oil crazy for awhile!

I did that and had to stop it for a month. Started adding it back in, switched from refined to virgin, and other than taste adjustments, couldn't be happier. In that intervening month, I also added in Kombucha to balance gut stuff, and dropped most vinegar products...
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Azuriaz wrote: »

I did that and had to stop it for a month. Started adding it back in, switched from refined to virgin, and other than taste adjustments, couldn't be happier. In that intervening month, I also added in Kombucha to balance gut stuff, and dropped most vinegar products...

I love red wine vinegar, but I just read about Kombucha, sounds interesting.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    For anyone talking about how the BPC blows your calorie limits, you don't have to put in the exact "recipe" amounts you see online.
    I only use 1tsp CO and 1TBS HWC and I skip the butter unless I plan to skip lunch that day. Or I only add 1tsp. It's less than half the calories that way and still great tasting.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I have thought about backing my 800 calorie cup of coffee each morning down but have not yet. If I do IF 2-3 days a week I can loose some and still eat 2600 calories a day.
  • nicintime
    edited September 2015
    Options
    My first cup is make up of coffee, cacao, coconut oil, Heavy Whip Cream and Shilajit. At 800 calories it is far from fasting plus I eat another 500 calories with the coffee for breakfast.

I do LCHF (started by accident for pain management before I heard of the term LCHF) for pain management because after cutting out sugars and grains it worked well in only 30 days. That was a year ago. I think the 5 tablespoons of coconut oil every morning helped hear my leaking cut issues perhaps.

Wow Mr. Hawkins! That's a ton of calories! And wonderful results! I love that it is working for you!

I am super happy that you've experienced the pain relief. Every time I hear of someone with chronic pain issues I want to cram LCHF down their throats! ...but I restrain myself, thankfully. :smile:
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing BPC, but I'm doing one of the "drinks" from healthful pursuit, and combining it with IF, has made me a happy camper, too. That scale still won't agree, but I'm in my "skinny" jeans, so I love this right now. The biggest thing is that it's really helping me control the mid-day hungries! I think that's my biggest boredom-eating risk zone...