How much weight did you lose in 6 months? And how many carbs. did you eat.

Options
I'm 60 yrs. old and have a wedding to go to in 6 months and would like to know how much everyone lost during that amount of time and how you did it. I weigh 198 and am 5' 1.5".
Any suggestion would be welcome.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I've only been doing a LCHF diet for three months, but I've lost 30 lbs. I'm at a normal weight now, so I am guessing the next 15 lbs or so will take another 3-4 months. I'm hoping for a total loss of about 40-50 lbs in 6 months

I'm 5'8", 157 lbs and 41 years old. I eat a ketogenic diet of about 1500 calories, give or take 500 calories.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    We all differ so it's really hard to tell you how much you can lose. I'm 5'8, 34 years old, started at 230.8 lbs and now 4 1/2 months later I'm 195.8 pounds. I probably could lose quicker but I have my calories set to 1900. I don't want to end up at 1200 calories when I get to my goal weight so I'd rather lose slower at a higher calorie range. :)
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"7, started at 237 and am now 210. I'm just a little at 3 months on plan. I'm averaging 2 lbs a week and I'm pretty okay with that. Everyone is different on the rate of loss though. My body loves to hold onto water, so I can go a week or two without seeing that scale drop at all, but I'm losing inches like crazy. And honestly, I'd rather lose the inches than the number any day.
  • sunnyazgirl
    sunnyazgirl Posts: 271 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I am new at this and haven't actually started low carb yet. I am still CICO ( I have lost 108 lbs, but have another 52 to go & things have slowed down to almost a stall). I plan to start low carb when I return from a three week vacation, so am trying to learn about it now. I do plan to continue to log. Do you all set your macros? If so, where do you set your carbs/protein/fats for weight loss? My calories are set at 1200 right now. I am ok with that and am seldom hungry, but I want to shift my macros within my calories so that I am low carb. I am a 62 yo woman, 5'2" and currently at 184 lbs.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of wiggle room in the macro settings. Some go literally zero carb. Those in ketosis will have carbs set the lowest, many keep carbs under 20 or 30g (often 5% up to 10%), but the more active members have carbs well over 100 g. Low carb is generally considered to be under 100 or 150 g, but it can go up with activity.

Most low carbers seem to do moderate protein (15-30%). I would guess that we all have fat over 50% and up to 85%.

Try reading Atkins or Protein Power for ideas.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"1", 54 yrs. 6 months ago 184 lbs, today 153. Total so far= 31 lbs. I have at least 35-45more to lose.
    I started a carb average around 60g carbs, but gradually experimented and lost the most consistently around 20g carbs. Average 35 -45 carbs. I dropped very quickly at first, now averaging .6-1lbs week, but seeing more body changes and smaller clothing size. Main exercise has been fast pace walking. Find some pictures of things you'd like to wear and keep excited! Set mini-weekly and monthly targets.
    Good luck!
  • Tandis729
    Tandis729 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8", 39 years old, and have gone from 217 to 188 in six months. I average 20-30 carbs and about 1300 calories a day. Probably could have lost more in that time period but life and cheating occasionally got in the way.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I am new at this and haven't actually started low carb yet. I am still CICO ( I have lost 108 lbs, but have another 52 to go & things have slowed down to almost a stall). I plan to start low carb when I return from a three week vacation, so am trying to learn about it now. I do plan to continue to log. Do you all set your macros? If so, where do you set your carbs/protein/fats for weight loss? My calories are set at 1200 right now. I am ok with that and am seldom hungry, but I want to shift my macros within my calories so that I am low carb. I am a 62 yo woman, 5'2" and currently at 184 lbs.

I have my macros set to 10% carbs, 20% protein and 70% fat. I do however count NET carbs so even though i'm allotted 45 grams of carbs with the 10% I actually try to eat 20 net carbs, and 30ish total.

ETA congrats on the 108 lbs lost! That is amazing!!! Good job!
  • sunnyazgirl
    sunnyazgirl Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    There's a lot of wiggle room in the macro settings. Some go literally zero carb. Those in ketosis will have carbs set the lowest, many keep carbs under 20 or 30g (often 5% up to 10%), but the more active members have carbs well over 100 g. Low carb is generally considered to be under 100 or 150 g, but it can go up with activity.

Most low carbers seem to do moderate protein (15-30%). I would guess that we all have fat over 50% and up to 85%.

Try reading Atkins or Protein Power for ideas.
    Thank you! Good advice. :)
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Same height as you, 38 years old, started in February at 236, 6 months later weight 192 (44 pounds lost), carbs bounced around but probably around 30ish most of the time.
  • loveswalking
    loveswalking Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone who has gotten back to me. This is very helpful.......
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I am 39, 5'4" tall, female, currently around 240-245. I started low carb on 1/15/15, switched to Keto on 2/18/15. I have lost roughly 20 pounds, but I haven't calculated the inches recently. I have however lost 3 full pant sizes (even when the scale decided not to move for a while). I have shrunk out of my undergarments - upper and lower. I have also lost at least a full half shoe size. So while the scale may not be playing nice with me at the moment, I'm more than thrilled with my current body recomposition!
  • Standsfast
    Standsfast Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    @loveswalking I am 53, 5'2". I started at about 215, am at 179 now. Took me 4 months so far. I have kept carbs to <30 most days. (Depends on how loudly the salted nuts are yelling for me) I wish you determination!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Hello! I began LCHF in March of this year. Have spent the majority of that time at the zero carb level (10 or less). I've lost a total of 37 pounds (231 to 194 pounds) so far. I'm 48 years old and 5'8". The scale has been a rollercoaster ride! Seems once I celebrate a loss the scale jumps back up before finally dropping again to repeat the process. Don't expect a downward slope to weight loss, but don't let it discourage you either. Hanging in there through the scale ride helps you grow stronger. We all lose differently. I read a post earlier where someone gained two pounds on the scale after only having negative numbers since June (what I wouldn't give for that!). Increases can happen, knowing to expect them is vital too. Don't allow it to derail your efforts. When you remain on plan the scale will catch up. We are all different and have to find what works for us. Mfp has been instrumental in helping me get to this mind set about food and this group has been the support I needed to change my life! Best to you!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,052 Member
    Options
    I am 53, female and 5'4" tall. I've lost 30 pounds in 6 months, 57 pounds since last September and 97 pounds since I began. I've been eating LCHF since the beginning of March. I find sustainable weight loss to be much easier to achieve eating this way. I aim for 5% carbs, currently around 15 g daily, but sometimes go over that, and sometimes under. I am currently 187 pounds, and want to continue losing weight until I reach my goal of being in the normal BMI range. After that I want to continue to eat low carb, never stop!

Being female and over 50, I think it is harder to lose weight. I do count calories too, and get a lot of walking in! I also love to fast for weight loss and to feel great.
  • loveswalking
    loveswalking Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone....I will be sure to take my measurements at least once a month.
    I'm also going to do 5:2 fasting with LCHF. I seem to have to lose at least 30 lbs. before I notice a size change. I hope this will be different eating this way.
    Everyone is doing a great job.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone....I will be sure to take my measurements at least once a month.
    I'm also going to do 5:2 fasting with LCHF. I seem to have to lose at least 30 lbs. before I notice a size change. I hope this will be different eating this way.
    Everyone is doing a great job.

Remember, too, that going low carb, you'll be burning more fat that some other weight loss plans. I've lost 20 pounds, maybe, and 3 pants sizes - and in the biggest sizes, sometimes you have to lose 50 plus to be noticeable for one size difference! It's all about recomp and embracing the diet again...
  • TBeverly49
    TBeverly49 Posts: 322 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I am 66 yr 5'-5" and starting weight was 278 pounds two years ago. I have been losing weight for a long time with starts and stops. 2 1/2 months ago my doc and nutritionist put me on a low carbs (60 grams) & high proteins (140 grams)and fat (60-70 grams) eating plan. I was at 214 have lost 14 pounds. This has been a God Sent to me. Its working and I am not starving nor am I struggling with cravings.
  • Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm 37.. I started 11/9/14 dieting and switched to LCHF 2/15/15. I'm 5"10",my starting weight was 334:( and I'm currently 229. I think I lost around 70lbs in the first 6 months months(due to having so much to loose). I suggest taking measurements and full length pics in the same clothes in addition to getting on a scale. I think exercise helps speed up the process along with toning along the way....
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    These survey questions made me realize something. Can you imagine the resources MFP has from thousands of dieters who record everything they eat and all their exercise. You would think they would have come up with some sort of statistical analysis at this point. Or perhaps MFP is owned by food manufacturers, and they want to keep their information under raps.