time tracking actual TDEE

Options
luv_2_lift
luv_2_lift Posts: 38 Member
Hi Sara & SS, I’ve been trying to find my maintenance calorie target for quite some time now and have been tracking all my data in a spreadsheet for several weeks. I want to use actual numbers to determine my TDEE to see if I can get to a maintenance point as I’m still dropping weight and I don't want it to hinder my lifts. I’ve read your post on setting calories and macros but was wondering the best time frame to use for the actual data or does it matter? Would 4 weeks or 10 weeks of data be more helpful? Also, once I calculate it, how much and how often should I raise the calories to find what works? Thanks in advance and I love this group. I’m learning so much!

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Assuming your activity has remained relatedly stable, I would use an 8 week period.

The 'how often' depends on how much movement you have week to week. If you only have a small fluctuation (less than 1lb) then I would not adjust that week and see what the next week does. If you still go up, and it is not due to expected water weight increases due to your cycle, then cut back by a bit. Repeat this until you get to a level where you only have small fluctuations.

I also find it helpful to use a weekly average weight rather than a spot number so as to even out any normal day to day fluctuations.
  • luv_2_lift
    luv_2_lift Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Luckily I have my averages as I've been recording my daily weight since I started trying to figure out maintenance. I lift 3 days a week consistently, fit in yoga once or twice, and intervals about once a week; but, I usually participate in some sort of fitness challenge event or competition every 2 or 3 months so I change up cardio training to fit the event coming up. Not sure if that will throw anything off but I'll give this a try and see how it works. Thanks Sara!
This discussion has been closed.