Needing accurate strength training calorie trackers

Options
My report shows only 300 calories for a session I had with a trainer in which I was going all out. I'm a personal trainer myself, and when we work each other out, its no joke. Anyone have success finding good tracking system for calories burned during a strength training sess? (kettlebell swing/press; ab work; negative chin ups; plyometrics...)

Replies

• alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, strength training just doesn't have the calorie burns in line with cardio. On top of that, even if you are doing circuit training or HIIT, it's very hard to know an accurate calorie burn. :/
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Do you wear a heart rate monitor? Could calculate from that?
  • blueberry1935
    blueberry1935 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I always wear a heart rate monitor either polar or my garmin. It tell me my calories burned during the strength training session tho.
  • CaliDollFace
    CaliDollFace Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4 heart rate monitor. It has a chest strap, which makes it more accurate.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I use an HRM, Garmin Vivosmart, for my classes, some of which include the exercises you mentioned. I don't use it for when I am just lifting for sets/reps. I go all out for my classes but I feel that the calorie read out I am getting is fairly accurate based on what I am doing. It can vary from 350 to 550 depending on the intensity.
  • SonoraBlue
    SonoraBlue Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Isn't the question how to track the calories burned via myfitnesspal? I'd like any ideas on that, too.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    hrm won't accurately record eight training, they're best for steady state cardio. Calories burned with strength training alone is minimal I wouldn't worry about it, your heart rate goes up, sure but not because of the exercise. I read someone compare it to someone coming in and scaring you to get your heart rate up - if that was all it took I'd pay someone to scare me every hour every day.
  • LouLacy1989
    LouLacy1989 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    To add calories lost through weight training on MFP I just create new exercise in the cardio section ie weight training 400kcals then add the weight reps/sets individually on the weight training section