Another Net Carb question...

Options
briteyes
briteyes Posts: 435 Member
When tracking your food for the day, do you count total net carbs for the day - as in subtract total fiber from total carbs to get your net carbs for the day? Or do you count net carb per meal, or individual foods, etc?

For example, I am currently sitting at 11 grams of total carbs eaten for the day, with 11 grams of fiber, meaning I'm at 0 net carbs???

I've always counted the total for the day, but now I'm wondering if I'm doing it correctly; would it be better if I did it per meal?

Replies

• nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Seems like mfp just records total carbs.

I go with that and don't need to mess with any other calculations. And per day is all that is necessary.

No muss, no fuss, and ketosis keeps on burning!
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    And 11 grams is a GREAT happy place to be! :
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I think something is off there because you have macadamian nuts in there which definitely are not zero carbs. I can't see on my phone. I'll log onto the computer later and look.

I count net carbs.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I count net, per day. I could see doing per meal for something like diabetes, but they may need to count total as opposed to net(not my area of knowledge). Also, 11 carbs and all of them being fiber is nearly impossible unless it was like 11 outer romaine leaves....
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Avocado Half 4 carbs & 10 fiber I have my doubts.
    This is why I do just total carbs, it's only 1 number to get wrong.

>:) OR o:)
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    @KenSmith108 you might want to use a different diary entry. Avocado should only have about 75% fiber of total carbs.
  • AngInCanada
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    @KenSmith108 you might want to use a different diary entry. Avocado should only have about 75% fiber of total carbs.

He was looking at the OP's diary entry I believe. Her entries are not correct which unfortunately is common.
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I am confident my macadamia nuts entry is correct since I used the barcode scanner but I'll have to try to find a better avocado entry.
  • AngInCanada
    Options
    briteyes wrote: »
    I am confident my macadamia nuts entry is correct since I used the barcode scanner but I'll have to try to find a better avocado entry.

My barcode scanner has come up with errors before. Sucks cause i have to double check everything.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options

This looks like a UK entry to me...
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    There will always be conflicting opinions on this topic. Try not to let it confuse you. I don't eat much fiber, but will subtract it from the total at the end of the day (in my head) when I do. Try not to allow this to stress you. Once you learn the macros of the foods you love, you will know what you are eating without having to use the wonderful diary tool (it taught me what I know!). It does get easier!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I have had barcode scans be so incredibly wrong they were not even the same item. Gotta use that usda site or if in an absolute rush, add the term usda with your MFP search.
    I go with a flexible carb range of up to 30g with the main goal of staying around 20g. Having a range makes more sense to me and I count total carbs. If I go over 30 for any reason it would have to be because of fiber. I wouldn't allow myself to push it further due to sugars, sugar alcohols or the sneaky carbs in Splenda and such.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    " the sneaky carbs" I like that! They're my ??? carbs.
    I count them, but they do subtract from my dinner veggies.
    I spend my days remaining carbs on veggies at dinner.
    So if I want the veggies I luv, I gotta watch "the sneaky carbs".

>:) OR o:)
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I count net, because I eat chia and fibrous veggies, so it really bumps up my total carb number.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »

This looks like a UK entry to me...

That's what I was thinking. 10 fiber, 4 non-fiber carbs (starch, sugar, etc). Combine the two, and you get 14 total and about 70% of which is fiber.

It's not wrong, but if you use such entries, make sure you're consistent with them, otherwise your totals will be at best confusing and generally incorrect if you don't remember to take the time to sort out what is and isn't fiber.
  • pjwoodhouse
    pjwoodhouse Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have the same macadamia nuts except with salt and the label is exactly the same as @briteyes posted. The real problem with those is sticking to just one serving! :)
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    briteyes wrote: »

My barcode scanner has come up with errors before. Sucks cause i have to double check everything.

Ditto on wrong barcode scanner entry....also the "verified" entries have been wrong too. *sigh*