Stalls, maybe a good thing, sometimes?

Options
KarlaYP
KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
I know we've had several stall threads lately. I just haven't wanted to bust into them with my feelings on them, in relations to me. Though, it may help someone else.

Stalls suck! They truly do! Every time I've given up on any particular woe was because of them. I had weight loss surgery and didn't lose any weight for a total of six months out of the first year post op. That's not supposed to happen! But it does. I have been forced to accept them as part of my weight loss. I've thought so much about the healing that my long sick body is undertaking. That is a process that won't ever be fully understood, but I am glad it's happening! I've started looking at them as "Healing Phases". My body is too busy healing itself to lose weight, and it's during the pause between these healing phases that it's able to lose weight. All the while revving back up for the next healing phase.

This is my theory alone. But it does make me (sort of) look at them as a good thing, sometimes!

Replies

• mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great perspective. I like the idea of "Healing Phases".

I also saw where someone posted once, in response to someone complaining about a stall, "Congratulations, you're no longer a beginner." I like that, too.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I like "healing phases." I dubbed them "unplanned maintenance" myself a while back.

I have learned to develop faith in this process. My body FEELS well. So if my body is stalling, there is a reason.

I have not lost any weight and maintained it since April. However, I've dropped a full pants since and shrunk out of my undergarments, upper and lower. So obviously something is happening.

I know that when I stopped focusing on lost weight and started focusing on gaining health, it was a whole mental shift for me!

I love that we're all finding our Zen finally ... even knowing we have a ways to go!

I also think that maintaining, for whatever reason, is essential to permanent success, and to give our metabolisms a break, and to reboot our sanity so we can survive this whole process. Just sayin'! Because we all know it isn't fast, and "ain't nobody got time for that."

I honestly thing losing slowly is the best, because our minds can keep up or at least stand a chance of it. Also, I still say losing weight is a mind game. If you mind isn't in the game, anything you lose will come back. When we get our minds in place and a good plan, the weight will come off eventually. We just have to be patient - which is hard normally, but harder when you see progress! We all want to ramp up when we really just need to sit back and enjoy the ride.

:D

EDITED TO ADD: I ROTFL at "congrats! you're no longer a beginner!" That's so much awesome.
  • sunnyazgirl
    sunnyazgirl Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Very nice perspective. Thank you. I know that I have more stalls than losing phases any more. But when I do drop it seems to be several times all at once, then I stall (or begin to heal) once again. :)
  • cynlyn2010
    cynlyn2010 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the perspective!
  • asyroyez
    asyroyez Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    After reading this, stalls have not bothered me: LINK
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I think that's brilliant. A healing phase I'll call them from now own.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    We know stalls can be helpful in preventing 100%+ regains. I reading what Dr. Kruse posts in his blog there seems to me more than we currently understand that impacts our weight that is well beyond what we eat.
  • sunnyazgirl
    sunnyazgirl Posts: 271 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    We know stalls can be helpful in preventing 100%+ regains. I reading what Dr. Kruse posts in his blog there seems to me more than we currently understand that impacts our weight that is well beyond what we eat.

I also find that stalls help our body accept the new weight and help prevent us from gaining back what we lose. Before I went on a cruise last May I had a big drop just before we left after a stall of about three weeks. I regained on the cruise exactly up to where I had been during the stall, no more. I did lose that quickly after returning, so I attributed the gain to water weight from excess sodium. But, since the weight gain did stop at my stalled weight it made me think that the stall protected me from gaining more.

We leave on another long cruise next week (19 days). I had been stalled for a few weeks once again until yesterday, when I had another big drop. So, my theory may be tested once again! :o I do plan to make lower carb choices, but when I am not cooking it there is really no way to know exactly what I am eating, especially when it is every meal, every day for 19 days.
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options

asyroyez wrote: »

I love this! I was getting so frustrated at my stall, and the fact that I'm craving more carbs now. But holy cow, I lost almost 40 lbs in 5 months. I think my body needs a rest.

The bottom line is, it's gonna take however long it takes. If my body wants to stay here for a while, I think I'd better listen.

• gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I had a stall for about 6 weeks and during that time I actually noticed that I was feeling a bit apprehensive about my weight loss. I was at a point where I was feeling a shift from being "fat" to skinny. My entire being was feeling different and I was getting nervous about it. So, I did a little thinking about it, a bit of visualization of the new me I wanted to bring about, some reassurance that it would be ok to continue to lose weight (currently 185lbs 5'4") and looked at all my negative associations I had with "skinny" people. The next week my stall broke and it has been melting off faster than normal since!

So I second all here who have said it's a mind game. Whatever you want to call it, or however you want to view it, I do believe it is more than just a matter of your body weighing less. Someone above said you have to be prepared for it and have your mind in the right place and I believe that is crucial.

here's to everyone, reframing and rewiring to reap the rewards. "R" you ready? (sorry, couldn't resist)
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    asyroyez wrote: »

Thanks for that. There were a few gems in there that I will hang onto as well. I like that concept.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    All of your responses inspire me! You all are awesome!! :smiley:

@asyroyez, thank you for posting the link. I'm on a kindle and it would take me to the page but I was unable to scroll down to read the article :neutral:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Think of a weight loss plateau as successfully maintaining body-weight rather than failing to lose.

Periods of weight maintenance can be beneficial. I'll add that it can also be helpful to intentionally go through periods of weight maintenance by taking periodic phases where you bring calories up to maintenance.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I've had several stalls. While in some ways they can be frustrating, I think they are a good thing in the long run. As others have mentioned, it gives the body time to adapt to a new lower weight.

But I also think there is a psychological benefit. It is easy to feel inspired and stick with healthy habits when you keep seeing the numbers on the scale get lower each week. But when you reach your goal weight, the numbers won't drop anymore. If that is what is keeping you going...the excitement of a new low...then without that I could see some people getting bored and losing interest and slowly drifting back to old habits.

For that reason I try to look at stalls as maintenance training...just keep doing what you're doing, knowing it is good for your body, and don't rely on a loss to keep you motivated.