weight loss has stopped since starting weight lifting

Options
LorieJ35
LorieJ35 Posts: 16 Member
So I was losing at a consistent slow pace until I started weight lifting 2 weeks ago. I've had no loss since starting. Is this normal? Any tips or suggestions? I really need to drop more pounds before a work required physical that I have scheduled. Wondering if I should take a break from weights for a bit and then get back to it.

Replies

• ngaliyin
    ngaliyin Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    From my experience, it's normal to stall or gain after starting weight training due to water retention. This usually lasts 2 to 6 weeks. If after that time you keep stalling or gaining, it might be you're not eating enough. Also be sure your protein is set on MFP to about 30% or 0.8 times your body weight. Please make sure you're eating enough to fuel your workouts. All the best - you got this :smiley:
  • LorieJ35
    Options
    Thanks, I'm checking my protein consumption right away!
  • moonfruity
    moonfruity Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It took me two months to see progress in my weight, like real progress =21 lbs gone. It will come though. I had to switch to eating paleo.
  • LorieJ35
    Options
    Good to hear! I would be very happy with those kind of results. You are doing awesome.
  • doccnm
    doccnm Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi Lorie when you begin to lift weights you can gain weight as muscle weighs more than fat. If you are not eating more this may be the case. I have been lifting for a few years and had to make peace with the scale. It helps to take measurements (bust, waist, hips & thighs) and follow progress of inches lost. If you are losing inches but not pounds that's a good thing! Keep it up...the more muscle you have the more calories you burn after you work out.
  • sweetmandygreeneyez
    Options
    Measurements work better for me although I have to admit once I started lifting my weight went up and my waist measurements. I came to the conclusion I wasn't incorporating enough cardio into my routine (I basically had eliminated my cardio except for the 10 minutes of HIIT warmup I begin with). My body needs a balance of both so play with it, everyone's different. Your body will show you what it needs.