a1c down, when to quit meds

Options
phxteach
phxteach Posts: 309 Member
Diagnosed maybe 6 years ago with type 2. Gradually worsened to a1C of 6.8 and up to 1000mg Metformin twice daily. Then went low carb, lost around 19 pounds, and a1c reading of 5.6 after doing LC (usually less than 50 net daily) since mid-June. Messed up mid-Aug to mid-Sept and had more carbs than desired, but those factors are now no longer in play. My other blood markers are improved as well. The physician assistant wanted me to totally discontinue the Metformin since she thought 5.6 was 'normal' for non-diabetics. I plan to keep eating lower carb and slowly loose maybe 10 to 15 more pounds. I suggested that I begin 1000mg extended release rather than going cold-turkey. Will I likely suffer from gastric distress on switching to an ER form? Anyone else gone down this path of medicine reduction and am I correct in thinking it is too soon to remove medicine support?

Replies

• Dragonflize
    Dragonflize Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My Doctor also told me when I can reach a level of 5.7 I can stop Metformin ,,she will lower the dose to one a day ,,,then no more. I will be re checked every three months with a in office finger stick . In the meantime I will need to do a blood sugar reading a few times a day .