pain from surgery

Options
tugsandpulls
tugsandpulls Posts: 111 Member
how long did your pain last ? did you take pain meds daily was is all the time or come and go?

Replies

• lioykavsg
    lioykavsg Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Mine was about 7 - 10 days. I remember my back hurt more that overnight stay in the hospital than the surgery. I could stay in one place comfortably and only had discomfort when I had to readjust my position. I found that the pain meds didn't do much for me. I got better results from Tylenol. Really, plan to rest/sleep. That was the best medicine.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,690 Member
    Options
    They had pain meds in my IV at the hospital (just overnight) so I wasn't feeling pain. After I went home there was no pain and I didn't take meds at first. I did have difficulty swallowing took pain meds for that because the nurse told me it would help get the liquids down.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I was on Tylenol only, both in the hospital (IV), and at home (liquid form). There was aching, but no real bad pain once 3 days had passed.
  • ThinGwen
    ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I didn't have bad pain once I was out of the hospital. Just needed Tylenol. If you feel lots of pain, you should contact your doctor.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I was on a pain pump my first 2 days, then was sent home with tylenol with codeine and used that for another day or two. By the end of day 4, I was using the tylenol at night, and had backed off to regular tylenol vs the tylenol with codeine because I hate the weird dreams and other side effects of the codeine. By a week out, I didn't even need the regular tylenol at night.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I only used pain meds the first night I got home. Do make sure you get liquid pain medication. If you need to take it a liquid will be easier to take.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    6 days or so. Days 2-3 were the worst, then every day was easier.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I only used the pain meds my first day home, and that was just to help me sleep. My pain was mild, so once in a while I just took Tylenol.
  • tugsandpulls
    tugsandpulls Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    i had 3 hernias so doc today told me thats why i have some pain still so im good to go gonna hit treadmill tom