Getting back in ketosis

Options
catjrow3
catjrow3 Posts: 681 Member
Does anyone have any good ideas of getting back into ketosis after a cheat? I was ranging around 0.8-1.4 on the blood ketones, had a cheat, back on for a day or two, then another cheat (worse the second time). Been back on more or less for about a week and still only ranging around 0.2 or 0.3... I feel like I am eating the same as before, but not getting the same numbers. Anyone who can help?? Will it just take longer this time?

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of measuring, but there are multiple factors. Obviously the biggest one is the degree of carb restriction. And, of course, fat content matters too.

More fat won't help you lose weight, but it will increase ketone levels. Shorter-chain fats (like in coconut oil and butter) will make more ketones.

Exercise matters. A lot.

Fasting can boost ketones. A lot.

And even the time of day you measure can matter.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Your blood ketones will fluctuate throughout the day. Did you have a few more carbs in the meal shortly before testing, or were you inactive not really moving or doing anything physical?
    If you want to see the numbers go up, go for a brisk walk for 30 minutes. Do it while fasted in the morning before eating for better results. But the reading you get will vary even in full ketosis.
    I know I've heard that "technically" ketosis is defined as being .5 or more, but any presence of ketones shows that fat is being used.
    I have no idea if this is an accurate way to think of it or not, but I kinda think of it like an engine. If you're idling or have alternative fuel (even in small amounts) available, then you can expect the rpm's (ketones) to be low, but it doesn't mean you aren't still burning them. If you're revved up (active or fasting), you can expect the rpm's (ketones) to go up. You can't stay revved up all the time of course, so the lower numbers are just to be expected sometimes. The amount of ketones present will depend on the amount of energy being converted.
    Were you "idling" when you tested?
  • catjrow3
    catjrow3 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Ok should mention, only check Fasting in the morning. I try to keep carbs under 30, and I exercise everyday just about, walking, spinning, running, kickboxing. I never check ketones during the rest of the day
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Try measuring later in the day, especially after exercise, if you want to see a bigger number (and to get an idea of how useless the measurement is).

Here's a guy who was in a metabolic chamber for two days. The two graphs are ketones (lower) and glucose (higher).

a42kbhb5jyg3.jpg