Chocolate cake-like creation

Options
phxteach
phxteach Posts: 309 Member
In this month, we get tempted, right?
I fought back only so far... and succumbed to a low-carb chocolate/brownie creation.
I must say, I thought it came out pretty tasty. Sorry, not even a crumb left for you to taste!

Here's the recipe if you wish to try it:

dry stuff:
1/4 cup Carbquick flour
1/4 cup Bob's Red Mill unsweetened coconut
1 tbs. Hershey's dark cocoa powder
1 tbs. erythritol
1/2 tsp. baking powder
---
wet stuff:
1 large egg
1/2 tbs. coconut oil
maybe 1/2 tbs. coffee/mocha concentrate (you could use leftover coffee or even skip it)
maybe 1 tbs. Toroni sugar free vanilla syrup

why maybe? You mix the dry ingredients and add it to the wet ingredients. If the dry ingredients don't seem sufficiently moistened, add some more liquid (coffee, syrup, etc).
Put the mixture in a microwave safe bowl sprayed with non-stick spray (Pam), microwave on full power for 2 minutes. Mine took 3 minutes, but... it's slower than most.

Hot, kind of an in between a brownie and cake texture. Little bit of crunch from the coconut flakes. And it made a very generous portion in my 4 inch round bowl.

MFP came up with 19 real carbs, 14 fiber, so 5 carbs for this. Around 300 calories. Considering how large the serving it was - and we all know we'll likely eat the tasty treat all gone -- not a crazy calorie count.

Bon appetit !

Replies

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    thanks - do you know what carbquick flour is made from? - not sure we have it in the UK so would like to try and see if there is an equivalent.
  • RisiM
    RisiM Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I bought almond flour and coconut flour - but not baked yet. Got those in Tesco.
  • phxteach
    phxteach Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    This is from their site: Carbalose™ is made through a unique process and contains Enzyme-Modified Wheat, as well as Plant fiber, Wheat protein and some unique conditioners, enzymes and emulsifiers. Carbalose™ does not contain any soy protein, sugar-alcohols, dairy, animal-originated, trans-fatty, or saturated fat products.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I think I read somewhere that carbquick is mostly vital wheat gluten with some things added to make it have less of that vital wheat gluten taste. I get vital wheat gluten at winco. Sadly they don't have carbquick around here and I haven't wanted to ship a powder since the UPS guy likes to toss things in the yard. :/