C25k: Time or Distance

Options
Just finished w5. Noticed that it said jog 2 miles or 20 minutes. I can do the 20 (even 22), but because I'm slow, I certainly don't get 2 miles in. Should I work to get to the mileage level or continue meeting the time?

Replies

• ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Choose 1 and just stick with it, most people tend to stick to time but recognise that at the end of the programme you are unlikely to be running a 5k in 30 minutes or less. C25K is about getting you up and about and letting your body adapt to running. If you are slow as you suggest, I would tend to recommend doing the time based version as the last thing you need is for sessions to drag on and on, and there is a tendency to run to fast just to get the session done. By concentrating on time you spend more time running with a fixed time commitment. Good luck on your journey
  • frankie5152
    frankie5152 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Stick with the time for now the distance will come
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i prefer time. i feel distance will come in time. like the others said
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Time it is! Thanks for your input!! :)
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Just finished w5. Noticed that it said jog 2 miles or 20 minutes. I can do the 20 (even 22), but because I'm slow, I certainly don't get 2 miles in. Should I work to get to the mileage level or continue meeting the time?

I am a firm believer in time. As your cardiovascular system gets stronger, distance will take care of itself. But if you doubt, get a decent running ap on your phone (I use RunKeeper but there's lots out there including some that MFP promote) and just look at your stats. You will notice your average pace getting quicker and quicker.

When I started running, it was tough to get through 20 minutes of mixed running/walking at ANY pace. After less than two years, I can do 2 1/2 hours of run/walk at maximum and my pace is close to a 10 minute mile for what I now consider a "short to medium" distance run.

So where the (shoe) rubber hits the road is: 20 minutes at one point meant about 2 miles. 20 minutes is now closer to 4. So if you combine about double the speed with a stronger system, you reach where I am now...training for a half marathon. :smiley:
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Holy moly, that's awesome! I'd like to simply run a full 5k under 48mins. That's goal #1. And I use Runkeeper, but I'm not so sure on its reliability.
  • BabyLovesToRun
    BabyLovesToRun Posts: 120 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Once I purchased my Garmin I quit using the phone Aps. I used the Garmin and RunKeeper to compare a couple days, RunKeeper was off by up to .20 of a mile. I also noticed that, after paying attention, it always marked my 1 mile mark in a different spot every day. Also, just focus on the time, don't worry about how much distance you cover it in.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I've found my garmin to be the inaccurate one. runkeeper is closer to the actual mileage per google maps.

Some people recommend Strava but I have no exeperience with it.