Top sources of carbs

Options

Replies

• jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Potatoes for me.....I resisted them recently while on holiday thanks to hubby being strong on my behalf! If he had said yes I'd have given in!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    So far I've not been on the wagon long enough to fall off but pre-diet I tended to eat a lot of potatoes in all forms and rice. I'm celiac so those made up a lot of my diet, plus all my breads and baked goods were rice based. I also had ice cream almost nightly.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    When I'm stressed I tend to grab Candy. I guess that's number 4. I do occasionally binge on peanut butter but don't consider that falling off the wagon.
  • AppetiteControlFreak
    Options
    FairLife skim milk is pretty low carb.

If I consume extra calories, it is usually just more steak. I don't carb binge. Maybe I'm weird. I would rather have another chunk of BBQ ribs...
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    @AppetiteControlFreak for low carb milk I now drink heavy whipping cream. I just add back some of the removed water if I like it to be more milk like. That helps me have milk without the carbs.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I have potatoes maybe once every two weeks. Occasionally I will have a pita bread or wrap. Once in a great while some pasta, like when I go to my mom's for dinner and she made spaghetti.... (but I eat a much smaller serving size than I would have before). Sweets are very rare, I had cake and ice cream for a birthday, but other than that I have stayed away from them.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,421 Member
    Options
    I haven't fallen off the wagon although I have been tempted a few times. But what I think I miss the most is buttery popcorn and pretzels. I'm surprised I haven't missed anything that is sweet since I used to devour cookies like they were going out of style :)
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    When I fall off the wagon it is ALWAYS face first into a bag of chips. Not a bowl....a bag.
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    For me, ice cream is my #1 temptation. Then #5.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I haven't strayed once since July 31st and then it was for a special occasion and I didn't even enjoy it. It was number3, birthday cake. In fact, sweets and candy are my biggest hangup and the things I crave most, although I do enjoy bread and potatoes as well. I cut out sugary soft drinks over a decade ago, so those aren't a big thing for me (in fact they make me gag). I was never a big pasta eater save for spaghetti once a week or so. So far I haven't eaten anything at all off that list save for the occasional dab of bbq sauce and never enough to kick me out of ketosis.

I'm going on vacation on Friday and I'd love to say I'm going to be 100%, but.... I'm not sure what we'll be doing and it's a large group of us so I won't be making all the decisions on where to eat. I know I am planning on a few drinks at Pat O'briens Saturday and I will be doing insane amounts of walking. (Hoping to hit 20k or more on my fitbit.) I'm hoping to eat at maintenance and balance out things with the miles upon miles I'll be hoofing it up. I may allow myself to have a burger with a salad. It really all depends on how I feel once there. At the moment, I'm not craving anything and have no concrete plans to eat all the things LOL. I'll also have both my BFF and hubby there to keep me in line. My BFF is doing keto as well (30 lbs down so far, go her!) and I'm sure we'll have to support each other. I'm so close to Onderland, I'd hate for one weekend to screw it all up. I'm already prepared to see a gain though, just in case. :D 3 days won't put back on 55 lbs I'm sure. o:)
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Before I started eating low carb, I ate LOTS of cookies & other sweets (especially ice cream), bread & bagels, cereal and pasta.

Now, if I am going to have something I don't normally eat it will most likely be some type of sweet (cookies/cake/ice cream/brownie).

The one thing I really miss is mac & cheese...I never tried a mac & cheese I didn't like. The really good home made stuff or even the cheap boxed stuff with the powdery mix...it was all good to me. At some point I need to try one of the low carb recipes. If anyone has one they really like, let me know.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I haven't strayed once since July 31st and then it was for a special occasion and I didn't even enjoy it. It was number3, birthday cake. In fact, sweets and candy are my biggest hangup and the things I crave most, although I do enjoy bread and potatoes as well. I cut out sugary soft drinks over a decade ago, so those aren't a big thing for me (in fact they make me gag). I was never a big pasta eater save for spaghetti once a week or so. So far I haven't eaten anything at all off that list save for the occasional dab of bbq sauce and never enough to kick me out of ketosis.

I'm going on vacation on Friday and I'd love to say I'm going to be 100%, but.... I'm not sure what we'll be doing and it's a large group of us so I won't be making all the decisions on where to eat. I know I am planning on a few drinks at Pat O'briens Saturday and I will be doing insane amounts of walking. (Hoping to hit 20k or more on my fitbit.) I'm hoping to eat at maintenance and balance out things with the miles upon miles I'll be hoofing it up. I may allow myself to have a burger with a salad. It really all depends on how I feel once there. At the moment, I'm not craving anything and have no concrete plans to eat all the things LOL. I'll also have both my BFF and hubby there to keep me in line. My BFF is doing keto as well (30 lbs down so far, go her!) and I'm sure we'll have to support each other. I'm so close to Onderland, I'd hate for one weekend to screw it all up. I'm already prepared to see a gain though, just in case. :D 3 days won't put back on 55 lbs I'm sure. o:)

The only place I have found so far that I could eat absolutely nothing on the menu was an authentic Mexican place where everything was beans, rice, and tortillas. They didn't even have a taco salad option. I don't think cheese was anywhere on the menu. I could have special ordered and got only meat and sour cream and guacamole or something, but I didn't want to pay $20 for a $5 meal, and the waitress had no idea how to ask what I was asking her of the cook (waitress was not Spanish speaking, and cook/manager? looked like her English would be broken at best, and she never even approached the table, even as we paid for our drinks to leave)...

Anywhere else, stick to meat, shredded cheese, steamed veggies, really butter, and all the fatty things your skinny friends are jealous that you can eat. If you have to have something, pick something you can have a bite or three of without setting yourself way back - or share with your hubby or BFF... Or pick one meal a day to have a higher carb item. Best meal is to do it earlier (breakfast or lunch) so you've time to burn through your carbs... :) Enjoy!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    Before I started eating low carb, I ate LOTS of cookies & other sweets (especially ice cream), bread & bagels, cereal and pasta.

Now, if I am going to have something I don't normally eat it will most likely be some type of sweet (cookies/cake/ice cream/brownie).

The one thing I really miss is mac & cheese...I never tried a mac & cheese I didn't like. The really good home made stuff or even the cheap boxed stuff with the powdery mix...it was all good to me. At some point I need to try one of the low carb recipes. If anyone has one they really like, let me know.

How about using your cheese sauce, whatever you like, and putting it over ground meat like hamburger or scrambled eggs? Cheesy goodness or lousy imitation? ;)
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    Every now and then, I'll make shiritake noodles and cheese made with butter, HWC and cheese, low carb and tastes satisfying to me. I add a smidgen of onion powder to it, yum.
  • NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I do not eat any of the things on the list on a regular basis. the last time I strayed was for a piece of apple pie. I can resist most everything else (for the time being anyway.) No current cravings. I usually manage avoiding temptation as long as I have a suitable alternative available. For example, I avoided a homemade cheese braid by having low carb apple cider donuts available instead.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

How about using your cheese sauce, whatever you like, and putting it over ground meat like hamburger or scrambled eggs? Cheesy goodness or lousy imitation? ;)

@Dragonwolf had a basic cheese sauce recipe she posted a while back... It's great on chicken, veggies, or anything!

2c unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice), 1/4c heavy cream (optional, but adds creaminess to it), 1tbsp tapioca starch (or equivalent starch, such as arrowroot powder or corn starch), ~2c cheese (strong-flavored cheeses work best -- sharp cheddar, monterey, etc.). Put milk and cream in a pot on med-low heat, whisk in starch, allow to heat up and thicken a little (~10-15mins), keep whisking gently to ensure nothing sticks and burns. Add in cheese a few tablespoons at a time to allow it to melt fully. Keep adding cheese until it reaches the thickness/consistency you want/need (if you only have 2c cheese and want it real thick and creamy, start with 1c milk).
  • DrawnToScale
    DrawnToScale Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Pasta has always been my biggest weakness. I'm afraid of it now, because once I start - I can't turn off the switch. Haven't found a suitable substitute. I constantly battle the urge to eat the mac & cheese that my 4 year old leaves on his plate. Occasionally, I eat some low carb ice cream or fruit or slice of bread. I regularly use milk in my morning cappuccino.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    Every now and then, I'll make shiritake noodles and cheese made with butter, HWC and cheese, low carb and tastes satisfying to me. I add a smidgen of onion powder to it, yum.

I do this. :smiley:

Myprotein sells konjac fettuccine noodles here in the UK... at least once a week I make my version of fettuccine alfredo with bacon, heavy cream and cheese.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

Which of these do you eat now? Which do you eat when you fall off the wagon?

[...]
    1. yeast bread
    2. soft drinks/soda
    3. cakes/cookies/ quick breads/doughnuts
    4. sugars/syrups/jams
    5. potatoes (white)
    6. ready-to-eat cereal
    7. pasta

4. I have "planned falls" once or twice a month. It will always be some form of dessert with real sugar, usually cheesecake (minus the cake) or homemade ice cream. I make it as rich as possible in fat and follow with two days of nothing but animal foods to cut any lingering addiction.

I no longer crave anything else on the list, yay me! o:)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

It's not a substitute, per se, but the cheese sauce @KnitOrMiss reposted is awesome on broccoli and/or cauliflower pieces. Steam up some broccoli and/or cauliflower (or heat up a bag of frozen) and smother in the cheese. Nom, nom, nom.

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one that actually likes that cheap boxed stuff with the powdery mix. My stepdad has the best method, too -- mix up the milk and powder when you first start boiling the noodles. It gives it time to thicken into a real sauce and makes the final dish creamy goodness. This works especially well with the really cheap brands that still need like a quarter cup of milk (as opposed to Kraft's reformulation or redo of the recipe to only call for like 2 tbsp).