What's something I can make a cheesecake crust from?

Options
minties82
minties82 Posts: 907 Member
I can't find almond flour or meal etc, we seem to take a while to catch up in New Zealand when it comes to those sorts of products.

Can I blitz nuts myself to make almond meal? Or does it need to be dried out also? I'm wanting to make a no-bake cheesecake and want some sort of crunch on the bottom.

Replies

• Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Absolutely you can grind your own nuts to make nut meal. I use my Vitamix. You just have to watch that you don't process it too long, or you will get nut butter. You could use a food processor too. You can just use regular raw nuts, it doesn't have to be dried out at all. I've baked with almond meal, pecan meal, can't remember what else. You could also make a crust with coconut flour.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can use any type of nuts. If they aren't still damp enough to stay together themselves, you can add butter or coconut oil. I second the coconut flour crust - this is the best one I've found (from reviews, haven't made it yet). http://www.fitlivingfoodies.com/recipe-archive/gluten-free-crust-recipe/

But yeah, you could totally mix it up with any nuts there. :) I'd not worry about baking the crust if it is just nuts - or just a little to make sure it will stay together.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have made a crust from crushed almonds and pecans (ground in a food processor) mixed with butter and a bit of sweetener. It turned out great and stayed together well. The sweetener is not necessary, just depends on your taste preference.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    I have made a crust from crushed almonds and pecans (ground in a food processor) mixed with butter and a bit of sweetener. It turned out great and stayed together well. The sweetener is not necessary, just depends on your taste preference.

I've done the same. Pretty darn good.
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have made my own nut flours
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks! I'm tasked with making something sweet for Christmas day this year and want to do a test run first.
  • TBeverly49
    TBeverly49 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    Absolutely you can grind your own nuts to make nut meal. I use my Vitamix. You just have to watch that you don't process it too long, or you will get nut butter. You could use a food processor too. You can just use regular raw nuts, it doesn't have to be dried out at all. I've baked with almond meal, pecan meal, can't remember what else. You could also make a crust with coconut flour.

I'm going to try that!