Seniors on paleo / primal

Options
annk18
annk18 Posts: 85 Member
edited October 2015 in Social Groups
I am 70 years old and started gradually becoming primalpaleo about 6 months ago. My husband has celiac, so I have been gluten free for about 5 years. I have been gradually increasing my exercises( Pilates, yoga, walking, and a senior exercise program at the Senior Center), but i fine many of the other suggestions much too difficult. I have adult onset stills disease and fibromyalgia but both are under good non medicine control.
Are there any other seniors out there and would you like to keep in touch?

Replies

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I am not a senior but I know there are some out there...hopefully you will find some here! If not, just post general questions or issues, we still may be able to help you.
  • pope705
    pope705 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Paleo is all about listening to your body and doing what is best for you. Keep it up!
    I'm curious though as to which paleo/primal suggestions you find to difficult to follow?
  • annk18
    Options
    What I find hardest is the push to exercise more intensely for short periods. Aerobics, other than aqua aerobics, I do slowly. A mile walk takes 22 to 25 minutes depending on the day.
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I am with pope705. for you a 22 minute walk may be intense. You have to listen to your body. Nothing says you can't maximize your potential, but your max will be different than someone elses. it is all subjective.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Ann… you can friend me if you like…..I'm 66, and have physical limits after a head on collision in 2009..my right side never recovered, so basic walking is the most for me.

I think the "burning" energy of weight lifting, etc is meant to spark the fat burning…but we may just not have that option….maintaining daily activity, forever, is best. I get my old dog out 2x a day and we walk as long as I can, usually 40-50 min.

Because of chronic kidney disease I am following a low carb high fat vegetarian diet..amazingly it works great as I can put fats on all my veggies. (I eat no "processed" foods)

Most are not aware that their kidney function drops with age, overweight, pre-diabetes both are connected to failing kidneys. While 70% of people are aware if they have diabetes, or are pre diabetic , most people have NO idea that 1 in 9 adults already have a problem, but do not learn this until they wind up in the ER or their doc finally tells them..then it is a big shock!

People think it's odd I don't eat meat, but my health improved, along with kidney function on a specific diet for CKD. I do miss MuShu pork, and spicy asian chicken..but can use the same spices on veggies. It is a small price to avoid hemodialysis in the long run.
  • annk18
    Options
    Sorry it has taken me so long to reply to your very interesting communication. I have had an extremely bad cold for a long time now. It is slowly improving and now I can do some more exercises. Walking is still my go to exercise when I have extra time. Otherwise I do practice yoga and Pilates and have a mixed weight/arobics exercise session at my local Senior Center.
    Right now food seems the most problematic . I am fine when I am home and cooking. But eating out, which occurs very often, is difficult as I tend to go back to non paleo but gluten free food.
    I am sorry about your kidney disease. How did you find out about it? And what are the symptoms for the people who don't know they have it?
    Please friend me if you'd like.
    Ann