Caffeine

Options
Moe4572
Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
Hi all....I am still in pre op phase of this journey. Everything is done, just waiting for a surgery date at this point.
My question is about Crystal Light....when I was seeing the nutritionist, I wrote down Crystal Light Iced Tea, and she never questioned it. I assumed it was caffiene free....I did look it up online and some sites say that it is caffeine free, however I noticed on the box of add in packets, it states "98% caffeine free"........do any of you drink Crystal Light Tea, ever had this come up?

Replies

• ThinGwen
    ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about small amounts of caffeine
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    The nutritionists at my hospital were not concerned at all about small-to-moderate caffeine intake past surgery. They just recommend it's in moderation (like a cup of coffee a day, maybe two, not 40). In that small of an amount, I wouldn't worry about it. I've been drinking a cup of coffee a day probably since month 4 and it has not impacted my weight loss.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    No, but I was told to avoid caffeine because of the desire to piggy back sugar calories into it. That may have only been part of the story, but that was the only story we were told about why no caffeine. (And when someone asked if they could have 2 teaspoons of sugar per day in her iced tea, the Dietician sighed and said "Fine.")
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Have a pressing of regular coffee in my morning protein shakes, and have not had any issues. YMMV. I think they want you to avoid it for the first month or so, due to the acid that it can trigger, especially in coffee/tea
  • creepykbear
    creepykbear Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I know each surgeons office differs, but mine preop lady did say I could have 1 cup of coffee a day post op. I drink the cold starbucks in my protein shake with some sugar free torani syrup. Yum.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    My surgeon's office said not to have coffee for six months post surgery. They said that it's better to avoid it during healing because it's acidic. Six month and one day post surgery, coffee and I were reunited and we are living happily ever after. I usually have one to two cups a day.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Good to know. I drink more black tea than coffee (although I do have the occasional small latte). My acidy-heartburny symptoms are better, but I will cut back for a couple months. I love my morning hot tea and milk.
  • ssflbelle2012
    ssflbelle2012 Posts: 314 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    oops so sorry I though I was replying in a different group about another program.
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    How crazy! I just picked up Crystal Light lemon tea today! I didn't think about caffeine in it. Glad I only picked up a 3 single pack to try it. I am also pre-op and was told to wean off caffeine before surgery. The reason I was given is that caffeine is a diuretic. I was told after surgery once I get up to 64oz of fluid a day I can have my regular coffee back. I have an appointment with my nutritionist on Monday and I'm gonna ask her about the Crystal Light tea. I hope its no problem because I like tea much better than the fruity flavors.
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    About a month after surgery I started drinking some of the caffeinated crystal light. It never really grew on me and would be very occasional. 4 months out I found this stuff called Morning Spark and it's the same premise only it tastes way better and has added vitamin c. I usually drink one packet per day. It says to mix with a 16 oz bottle but I mix with 24-32 oz because it's pretty sweet and that gets me more water. I would avoid specifically caffeinated beverages until a month or so after surgery due to low liquid intake and it being a diuretic. But I wouldn't worry about incidental amounts before surgery/early on or full beverages once you are out of the initial healing phase.