How Important is Water??

ettaterrell
ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
I have never been a drinker of anything really. Before dieting i could buy a bottle coke and sip on it all day and still have 1/2 left at end of day. I've never gotten my calories from drinking (non alco. drinks) and I'm new to lchf dieting so I want to know how important water intake is? And why? I can get 16oz in a day but some where i read a comment a lady said "drink water like it's your job" so should I be forcing myself to drink water and if so how much...?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    I would try to increase your water consumption by 2 oz a day. You should be getting close to half your body weight (in pounds) in ounces of water. So for 240 pounds (me), my daily water goal (or fluids) is 120 oz.

Water detoxifies your body, carries away burned fats and their wastes, nourishes cells, and all manner of things. For me, getting enough fluids is critical to long term success. Particularly when low carbing, because carbs hold in water to process themselves, and when we don't hold in as much water, we naturally dehydrate.

Dehydration makes a sodium/electrolyte balance all but impossible.

Start a reasonable goal and bump up daily. Add lemon or lime slices to your water, or even the squeezy pod add ins if necessary at first while increasing. You may not need the double amount, but most low carb diets recommend a flat 100 oz as a minimum, etc.

Some folks get a lot of fluids in the foods they eat...so their drinking requirement is less. There are water tracking apps for nearly every smart phone platform.

I personally recommend increasing slowly, and finding the taste for plain water, even if you've never had it before, because it will serve you well over time... Good luck!
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    if you value your kidneys, drink your water.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    I never understood the advice to drink a bunch of water, so I ignored it. I figured thirst should be a pretty good signal.

I may have been wrong. I think I'm the only one on this forum to get a kidney stone while restricting carbs, and they say dehydration is the major factor in stone formation.

Now I drink more. I can't tell if it makes a difference.

In theory, you need about 2.5 liters/day of fluid intake. The source shouldn't matter. About half of that normally comes from food intake.

It MAY be different for low-carbers due to a couple reasons. The food we eat tends to be dehydrating (e.g., dry foods or high-protein foods). We can also lose a lot of sodium on this diet, and water follows sodium -- that's why there's a big initial water-weight loss. In the latter case, both sodium intake and water intake should help.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    thanks everyone, I love water it is all I do drink but just not a thirsty person so I forget to drink and before I know it days over and I'm chugging water before bed then I'm up peeing in the middle of night and the cycle starts over next day lol. I was hoping it was just something to make u fuller (it doesn't me) and if so I wasn't gonna worry with it all the time. You would think I would crave something if I needed it
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Large amounts of protein is hard on your kidneys, esp w/o consuming water-retaining carbs. Drink your water.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    I don't drink the "recommended" amounts of water either and I count everything liquid I drink if I choose to log water on any given day.
    I don't really measure my beverages since they don't have calories but if I had to guess I would say I average less than 70oz of water a day and only about 16oz of that would be plain water. I'm 138lbs so I'm only getting about half of what a goal would be based on @KnitOrMiss information.
    I haven't run into any issues in the last 5 months and even had a very easy Keto adaptation process due to understanding the sodium needs from the start.
    Hopefully, I don't end up with any kidney stones, but I should be a good test case because even after 5 months I still have higher blood ketone readings than what I expected at this point.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    I guess I'm a "middle-of-the-roader". I am like you and have to force myself to drink all the water the experts say you have to have. I drink 8-10 cups a day. The way I know I'm not dehydrated ~ is to see what color my pee is. When its clear, its good. If you Google Images:

urine color chart dehydration

You'll find dozens of charts to gauge if you're dehydrated or not.

With that said, I have only drunk less than 10 cups of coffee IN MY LIFE. If you are a coffee drinker, then you have to drink more water, or you'll get dehydrated. Coffee is a diuretic. There is some ratio of how many cups of coffee you drink and how many you should additionally drink to keep you from dehydrating. I don't know what the component is in the coffee that is diuretic, maybe caffeine. If so, to a lesser degree, you may supplement if you drink Tea with caffeine in it.

You have to drink more if you do any exercise or sweat.

You have to drink more water if you eat a lot (and I mean a lot) of salt.

And I agree with WAB, if you don't drink enough, stones will form and they are very painful. I think if you study Bariatric Surgery results, that there is some dynamic with rapid weight loss that causes stones to form. If I remember correctly, they recommend that a person drink a lot of water. I'm not saying you are getting Bariatric surgery, but that "rapid Weight loss" of any diet can cause stones.

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    Current weight: 198.5, 115.5 pounds down, 19.5 to go. 13 months on diet
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric Surgery! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Previous Discussions on the LCD & Keto Groups
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Sub Groups Blog
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Water is important for kidney function and for blood volume/blood pressure. I know for me that the color of urine has little bearing, it can be clear but my blood pressure is too low(headaches, seeing spots, etc) and that means I need to drink. If you're feeling light headed and your sodium intake is good, you need to drink.
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited October 2015
    DittoDan wrote: »
    I guess I'm a "middle-of-the-roader". I am like you and have to force myself to drink all the water the experts say you have to have. I drink 8-10 cups a day. The way I know I'm not dehydrated ~ is to see what color my pee is. When its clear, its good. If you Google Images:

urine color chart dehydration

You'll find dozens of charts to gauge if you're dehydrated or not.

With that said, I have only drunk less than 10 cups of coffee IN MY LIFE. If you are a coffee drinker, then you have to drink more water, or you'll get dehydrated. Coffee is a diuretic. There is some ratio of how many cups of coffee you drink and how many you should additionally drink to keep you from dehydrating. I don't know what the component is in the coffee that is diuretic, maybe caffeine. If so, to a lesser degree, you may supplement if you drink Tea with caffeine in it.

You have to drink more if you do any exercise or sweat.

You have to drink more water if you eat a lot (and I mean a lot) of salt.

And I agree with WAB, if you don't drink enough, stones will form and they are very painful. I think if you study Bariatric Surgery results, that there is some dynamic with rapid weight loss that causes stones to form. If I remember correctly, they recommend that a person drink a lot of water. I'm not saying you are getting Bariatric surgery, but that "rapid Weight loss" of any diet can cause stones.

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    Current weight: 198.5, 115.5 pounds down, 19.5 to go. 13 months on diet
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric Surgery! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Previous Discussions on the LCD & Keto Groups
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Sub Groups Blog
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs

I recently read an article, regrettably, I can't recall where, but it stated that the whole thing about coffee being a diuretic was overblown and not nearly as much of an issue (like way less than half what they say) as it was made to be. It had more to do with heart doctors not wanting folks to drink the caffeine or something. If anyone else read the article or knows what I'm talking about, please share.

Here is one I found, though this isn't the one I read initially. http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/01/13/262175623/coffee-myth-busting-cup-of-joe-may-help-hydration-and-memory

Another: http://acsh.org/2014/01/hydrate-coffee-maybe-new-study-says-diuretic/
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    KnitOrMiss - I was about to type this too. Here's a bit of a summary of the science: medicinenet.com/caffeine/page4.htm

I count my coffee as fluid. I'm not a huge water drinker and go by instinct - if I get thirsty, I drink.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss - I was about to type this too. Here's a bit of a summary of the science: medicinenet.com/caffeine/page4.htm

I count my coffee as fluid. I'm not a huge water drinker and go by instinct - if I get thirsty, I drink.

I agree. While my goal is the 120 oz or whatever, I consider it kind of random, similar to my calorie goal...lol. I drink if I'm thirsty. The only time I'll force it is if I'm under 40 oz for the day. What's really odd though, is I struggled for over 2 months (July and August, I think) averaging about 80 oz or less, and then September was good, as I started tracking everything again.

Last night, I was just under 90 oz, and this morning I woke up with my lips dry and flaky. That hasn't happened since I was doing the all day outdoors event I worked back in April! Nothing else was different, other than I broke out in a weird facial rash, I think it was Monday? So strange! So I'm focused on at least breaking 100 oz. today.

But, it also seems like the more I drink, the more I crave. It has actually gotten to the point that even when my urine and tracker indicate I should be well-hydrated that I've got dry mouth and constant thirst - and now I'm freaking about possible diabetes - and the possibility that my hypothyroidism has flipped and become auto-immune hypo (I have other symptoms and tests pending)...

I don't know of any normal reasons to have perpetual dry mouth feeling - does anyone else?
  • TBeverly49
    TBeverly49 Posts: 322 Member
    I have been told by both my doc and nutritionist to try to drink 10 glasses of water/liquids a day. I see my doc today and will ask her. I had usually had about 2 to glasses of water a day in addition to other drinks, makes sense to me.

I have had kidney stones and they are like going through labor for my children, only longer! One time I was really sick and dehydrated and had to be given an IV to get fluids every day for a week.

I drink water during the day. I keep one of those water bottles with me most of the time. I don't drink coffee, but I do have diet Dr P about 1-3 times a week. I do put Mio or crystal lite in my water sometimes, but not generally. Anyway, these are only my thoughts not a scientific conclusion.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Sjogren's can cause dry mouth so if it persists you may need to check with your doctor Knitormiss

I too am rarely thirsty. Since starting keto I have significantly upped my daily "real" water total to approximately 32 oz. The rest of my drinks are unsweetened hot or iced teas and coffee. So far I seem to be doing ok and not showing any signs of being dehydrated. I find it really hard to drink when I don't feel thirsty.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    I find that I drink more if I keep a bigger bottle. At home on the weekends I drink coffee until mid afternoon and then I struggle with my 24oz water bottle to keep up (I am for 75 oz minimum, 150 max unless there are good reasons to drink more). At work I stop drinking coffee before I arrive, start drinking from a 32 oz bottle, and I've had 64 oz before lunch!

Not drinking my coffee with cream makes it easier for me to transition to water (the cream isn't coating my mouth and making water taste bad). So now I only drink creamed coffee when I'm well on my way to my daily goal.

It's not that I'm thirsty, but when my hand reaches for the water bottle, I guess that means I am. Having a bigger bottle makes water more available. When it runs out I have to fight being lazy to refill it (getting a Fitbit helped to motivate me to move).
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited October 2015
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    Sjogren's can cause dry mouth so if it persists you may need to check with your doctor Knitormiss

I too am rarely thirsty. Since starting keto I have significantly upped my daily "real" water total to approximately 32 oz. The rest of my drinks are unsweetened hot or iced teas and coffee. So far I seem to be doing ok and not showing any signs of being dehydrated. I find it really hard to drink when I don't feel thirsty.

Glad to say that dry eyes (another common with Sjogren's) are not something I suffer now, nor have ever...

I see my endocrinologist for my 6 month check up on the 16th, and I just sent him a request for bloodwork prior to the appointment, so I'll report back if I learn anything.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Winter is vital for organs to function, plus it helps the kidneys function optimally. Look at the charts that @Dan recommended. Strive for a level. Set alarms throughout the day to remind you. Do whatever it takes to help you remember. Waiting for the sign of thirst isn't always the best idea.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Yes, I remember hearing for years, by the time you feel thirsty, you're already dehydrated. I don't know if it is true, but...
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    I drink about a quart in the few hours before I go to bed with the last glass right before I get in bed. Typically I sleep 7-8 hours without waking up. This will produce about a quart of urine overnight. The daily total is around one gallon that I drink which I have done for years to decrease my joint pain.
  • KnitOrMiss
    It occurred to me that I retain water when I don't get enough salt, and not in a fun way. Since I started midday fasting, sometimes I'd added salt midday, and sometimes I hadn't. On a whim, I added some salt just now, and the dry mouth feeling is gone. I'll repeat next week to see if it works again.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Yes, I remember hearing for years, by the time you feel thirsty, you're already dehydrated. I don't know if it is true, but...

I've always heard that it's NOT true for a generally healthy adult with normal liquid needs, but IS true for children, those of us who have higher needs in general, when doing sports, when it's very hot or when you are ill.....