Healthier banana bread

Options
I have tons of bananas in my freezer and we all love banana bread, but don't love all the oil/butter and sugar that it takes to make them. So I played around with the recipe and came up with this one. It is so good and only about 105 calories per slice and about 8 grams of sugar. I am still trying to lower that but for now this recipe is a keeper.
RECIPE: Healthier banana bread recipe. 4 ripe bananas mashed. 2 large eggs, 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour (I have also made this is quinoa flour) 1/4 cup honey or pure maple syrup, 1/2 cup sour milk (put a tsp of white vinegar in the milk and let rest for about 10 min) 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp vanilla. You can also add nuts or chocolate chips if you like. Combine milk, eggs, honey, vanilla and mashed bananas, add the baking soda, baking powder and flour. Combine well for about 3 minutes. Pour into greased loaf pan and bake in preheated oven 325 degree F oven for 1 hour I also sprinkled about 1 tablespoon of brown sugar on top before putting in oven. Serves 12 and about 105 calories for one serving

Replies

• ohmyllama
    ohmyllama Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    This sounds SO good! I love banana bread. I'll be trying this out for the holidays!
  • CherryBerry0611
    CherryBerry0611 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I LOVE banana bread! I also have loads of frozen bananas that I need to put to good use, so thanks for the recipe!
  • akuapih262
    akuapih262 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good one
  • saitiffeh
    saitiffeh Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Sounds awesome!!
  • dawnz75
    dawnz75 Posts: 579 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Your banana bread sounds wonderful! I may have to try it, ty for sharing! I love the smell of any baking bread, but it is even nicer when it is healthy enough that I can eat some of it too! My go to banana bread recipe for the past couple months has been

http://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/2013/11/whole-wheat-oatmeal-applesauce-banana-bread-healthy-vegan-friendly/

Ingredients
    •Cooking spray
    •1 heaping cup mashed banana
    •1/3 cup honey
    •1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
    •1 teaspoon vanilla
    •1 egg
    •3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or skim, coconut, etc.)
    •1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
    •1 cup rolled oats
    •1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    •3/4 teaspoon baking soda
    •1/4 teaspoon salt
    •1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

133 calories per 1/12th of loaf. I use grade B maple syrup instead of honey, but either way comes out wonderful. I like that it has some oatmeal in it along with lots of other healthy ingredients.

Good luck to everyone!