Traveling

Unexpected last minute trip to see my sick father. So far so good but somebody already snuck some champagne vinaigrette in on me. I bought some Newman's Own O & V. I have all my stuff for butter coffee. How do my fellow ketobuddies desk w this?

Replies

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    edited October 2015
    Stick to the fats, buy own stuff for protein (or bring it), eat salads, bowls of soup. I also expressly say to people around me: I'm on quite a strict diet, I'm restricting myself in what I can and cannot eat, so I eat my own meals. I'm happy to cook yours though, should you wish that. I also tell people I'm very boring, dinner-wise. I do make sure I get sufficient calories, ie I don't starve myself, even if that means going over the calorie goal for a few days. But I will stick to my macros religiously, and like you, I keep control over "small ingredients" that may push up the carbs. I figure it's more important to stay in keto, and not having to go through the whole carb withdrawal - ket flu again.

I'm in a religious/spiritual culture where food is very, very important (kitchen religion we say) and where the sharing of food is an important part of "who we are". The last time I was at a gathering, all I could have was the salad and some vegetables with fresh cheese, and that in very small quantities. So that's where I did my "i'm on a restrictive diet, very boring etc" spiel. Oh, someone said, you're FASTING! So now I'll say I'm fasting, and that's it.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Hello @ScaryCarrie444, traveling can be a stressful time on this woe. Try to keep low carb snacks, keto friend, of course, like jerky, cheese(duh!), low carb nut of choice, pick up some pepperoni and microwave to make crisps and dredge through mayo....but, I'm not a fan of starvation either (fasting is different). When there's nothing else around and it's beyond your control, make the best choices possible. Keto flu is tough to get through, but will be a much easier transition (imo based on experience) to get back into if you are thrown out, so to speak. Side effects of eating higher carb may not be fun (GI distress, runny nose...) but will pass too! I hope your father is able to recover without any difficulty and your travels are easy! :smiley:
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Stressful with your dad sick, so really watch your eating. Even worse if he's in hospital as meals are not easy for visitors.
    Gr8 info above.
    I travel a lot and insist on being in control & tell people before I eat with them. Also buy meals when out and throw out a lot of the carbs. I order Burgers bunless eating salad & meat & if they don't understand bunless I get the bun & throw it away.
    When I explain I have worked hard for 16 weeks & lost a lot of weight not one person has been negative - but they do think I eat weird & have their opinion (even though it is uneducated & old fashioned - LOW FAT DOSNT WORK FOR ME - IT GOT ME IN THIS SITUATION).
  • ScaryCarrie444
    ScaryCarrie444 Posts: 13 Member
    Thanks y'all. Today wasn't stellar. Dinner was sweet potato cooked in lots of coconut oil. Still, my macros were good. It's an emotional powderkeg here. I didn't want to complain about sweet potatoes.
    I can make more preparations tomorrow and Joe's I didn't get knocked out of keto.
  • ScaryCarrie444
    ScaryCarrie444 Posts: 13 Member
    Thanks y'all. Today wasn't stellar. Dinner was sweet potato cooked in lots of coconut oil. Still, my macros were good. It's an emotional powderkeg here. I didn't want to complain about sweet potatoes.
    I can make more preparations tomorrow and Joe's I didn't get knocked out of keto.

Joe's = pray. Not typing well today.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Hang in there
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Sending hugs. Lots of good ideas here and in the thread about how to eat while daughter's in the hospital. Hang in there. A sweet potato is far from the worst thing you could eat! (hugs)