2016 and beyond goals

Options

Replies

• daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I am super excited for AC HIM...found out from my Tri Club I get early registration...sweet! Also, from reviews and feedback, I think 2017 will definitely be IMLP.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    NJ State tri is in a rather disgusting lake. The year I did it the water temp was 89 and it was the most foul swim I had ever done (think diesel and goose poop). Rather boring but flat and fast bike course. Run was shadeless and I baked. Not my favorite event.

Tri AC is great through. Again, a Delmo race and he puts on a great show.
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Wow, I can't believe I have gotten good reviews on that!! A bunch of my friends love it and do it every year. I have already been leaning heavily - i.e., decided - towards Tri AC. I did the Int'l bike as part of a relay this year.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    so far i'm registered for Escape the Cape on June 12, and might be doing Rev3 Poconos.
  • emb369
    emb369 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    For those looking at Texas, it is almost sold out.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Big early season goal is Toughman Wisconsin 70.3 on June 18.

Tentative plans for 2016 before then are:

1) Chicago Winter Half (Jan 23)
    2) New Orleans Marathon (Feb 28)
    3) some biking event in the spring
    4) Either Galena or Gateway Tri (May 14 or 15)
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    A bit early, but think my focus in 2016 will be to improve on my initial Timberman 70.3 effort . I've committed to a formal swim program this fall and hope to really improve in this area during the off season.

My tentative race schedule for 2016:

Jan - Charleston, SC half marathon
    April - Ct Fastrak 15k
    June - Rev3 Quassy - Oly
    July - Litchfield Hills Tri - Oly (maybe)
    Aug - Niantic Bay Tri - Sprint
    Aug - Timberman 70.3
    Oct. - Hartford Half marathon
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    this year i did quassy olympic, and the next week i did a local sprint. the sprint was tough, as i was tired from months of training, and didn't recover well from quassy.

now i'm considering doing escape the cape olympic and then TWO weeks later doing trirock philly olympic because apparently i'm stupid.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    You should be able to load up on Olys in consecutive weekends if you are well trained for it. They aren't long enough to really beat up the body, even when raced fast. This year I did the Steelman Oly, Pocono Oly on consecutive weekends then Old Orchard Beach Oly only two weeks after that. Set my Oly PR at OOB.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    maybe... it would be smart of me to do a big build up, and then taper off over the summer when i'm in triathlon mode, since i'm planning on just doing olympics next year.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    this year i did quassy olympic, and the next week i did a local sprint. the sprint was tough, as i was tired from months of training, and didn't recover well from quassy.

now i'm considering doing escape the cape olympic and then TWO weeks later doing trirock philly olympic because apparently i'm stupid.

I don't think it's that stupid. I wouldn't do any actual training between races, obviously, but 2 weeks should be plenty of time to recover and keep yourself loose in preparation for the next race.

If TriRock is you're A race for the season, then I might reconsider... but otherwise I think you're fine.

* note - based on my personal experience... no lab coat data to support my claims.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

I don't think it's that stupid. I wouldn't do any actual training between races, obviously, but 2 weeks should be plenty of time to recover and keep yourself loose in preparation for the next race.

If TriRock is you're A race for the season, then I might reconsider... but otherwise I think you're fine.

* note - based on my personal experience... no lab coat data to support my claims.

lol

honestly, i'm suffering from FOMO, since it looks like that half my tri-club is going to be doing TriRock. I might not do it, and just do EtC and then Rev3 Poconos.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    FWIW... I did a trirock race a couple of years ago (Austin, not Philly) and it was a great event. Well run, well organized, and a very cool atmosphere especially during the run. I've been wanting to do Philly, but it's always on the same weekend as some other race.

As for FOMO (had to google it)... yea, I haz that 2.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Will be doing my first half-iron distance in August 2016: Timberman 70.3 -- I will also be doing a local sprint Tri for my area's YMCA in June (my Tri-club also sponsors it). There is also a good chance I'll be part of a team for the "Reach The Beach" in NH (mid-September) *and maybe, just maybe my 1st full marathon in November.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    i really want to do timberman, but i can't commit to it yet because i have no idea about a summer trip yet.
  • kchang77
    kchang77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Keeping the number of races short to maximize training for 2016.

April Fool's Half marathon - TBD
    Rev3 Quassy - half
    IMLP - My first full distance
    IMAC
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    MDLNH wrote: »
    Will be doing my first half-iron distance in August 2016: Timberman 70.3

Did this as my first HIM race this past August. Great setting. Will be back there next year.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Got an email a few days back saying I got a spot on Team USA for ITU Long Course Worlds. Now to rework the schedule
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    Got an email a few days back saying I got a spot on Team USA for ITU Long Course Worlds. Now to rework the schedule

awesome!!! congrats!!
  • lj3jones
    lj3jones Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You guys are making me a bit jealous with all your 70.3 and IM talk. I've done two IMs but I also have a 2 year old son and work full time in a professional field and have a 45 minute commute each way to work. Trying to get back into some semblance of shape, but it isn't easy! I did a mini tri when he was a babe and sprint this summer, but I've also been battling back problems from the pregnancy which seem to derail me for a couple of months at a time when I'm finally starting to get back into shape. Hoping to convince my DH to have another child, but if not, maybe I will do an olympic next year. I honestly can't see getting to train for anything longer than that for a while at any rate.