White butter?!

Options
minties82
minties82 Posts: 907 Member
I figure if anyone knows about butter, it's this group :-). I was googling "what makes butter yellow" for my 3 year old and came across this:

http://judithcooks.blogspot.co.nz/2010/05/white-butter-yellow-butter.html

I've never seen white butter in my life, is it really white in America?

Replies

• DissLocated
    DissLocated Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of white butter either (I'm in the UK too) looking at her explanation though, I believe that most of our cattle are grass fed anyway? Or at least only have hard feed in the winter. Something like that anyway! :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    My current butter is white. I can't find Kerrygold at most stores I go to and none of the butter at any of the most convenient stores for me is grass fed, so occasionally I end up buying what looks "the best" from the options I'm given. I chose an Amish butter this time and paid more for it... But it's white. It's certainly nothing special and I really need to just make special trips to the better store.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    I figure if anyone knows about butter, it's this group :-). I was googling "what makes butter yellow" for my 3 year old and came across this:

http://judithcooks.blogspot.co.nz/2010/05/white-butter-yellow-butter.html

I've never seen white butter in my life, is it really white in America?

Yes, looking at the butter in your pictures (linked) the one of the right, the white butter, is what all "commercial" butter looks like here, to my understanding. The only butter I've found recently that is the "yellow" kind is Kerrygold... which is the same price for half as much, so not on my list often...

And for the most part, if I whip my heavy cream the result is white, also, so I guess my heavy cream is corn-fed, too.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I knew about the difference and I have both in my fridge. The white butter is usually for cooking where I need butter and butter flavor, but it'll be mixed with other flavors and not prominent. The yellow butter is used for eating raw and in dishes where the butter will be the most prominent flavor. It makes a world of difference to me.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    It's my understanding that grass fed cows give actual yellow butter and that some companies add yellow coloring to butter to make it look healthier. The cheap butter (that's not so cheap) I buy is mostly white, faintly yellow. Yellow butter is supposed to be higher in vitamin K I think, too.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Tried the butter in Mexico (yellow) and do NOT like the taste. I suspect there is artificial color?

Use Kerrygold here in the States.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Kerrygold only
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    My butter is more white.

But it reminds me of the story my mother told me, when she was a girl (in the 30's), they used margarine. The margarine came with a yellow coloring to mix in to make it look like butter. The family didn't bother with the coloring unless they were expecting company, so she always knew company was coming when her mother or grandmother was making the yellow "butter".