date night dinner recipes

Options
nikoba
nikoba Posts: 291 Member
I know there's been a number of posts about recipes, but I was wondering if anyone had some favorites for when they are specifically entertaining guests. I'm having a date over for a dinner/movie night, so I'd like to make something that would be appealing for for both of us and will still somewhat keep me on track. Budget is kind of a factor, otherwise I'd go all in and make my favorite beef tenderloin recipe :)

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I usually try to keep it simple. Steak or some other kind of meat (you might choose chicken or whatever is less expensive for you), a large vegetable side dish, and I will often make some rice pilaf or something else for my guests since most of them aren't also eating the way I am.
  • mspr1nt
    mspr1nt Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Google Tim Noakes chicken mole. Really delicious, but does use almond flour so won't be ideal if you're super low carb. Still, if your date ain't low carb, say the crumbs are bread. Serve with a spinach salad.

Or line fish with bacon bits and tomatoes, baked in the oven.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Speaking of date night, not a recipe but hubby and I go to this mongolian place which is the best. They have frozen shaved meat (chicken, beef, pork, lamb, calamari) and sliced vegetables (cabbage, zucchini, carrot, onion, capsicum, etc) and then pots of liquid (sesame oil, chili oil, soy sauce, sugar water, vinegar, garlic water, parsley water etc). You grab a bowl, put your meat, vege, and liquid in and they cook it on this great big round wood fire bbq while you watch. You can go back as many times as you like and this place is Keto heaven :)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I like to cook down some mushrooms in coconut oil, or butter (add other veggie of choice if desired), add enough hwc to make it creamy and return to heavy simmer. Then add bite sized meat, turn off and cover. The meat will cook pretty quickly. This is so good seasoned to taste! I like boneless pork chops. Cheap right now. I can feed me and hubby for ten bucks, or less! Plus, he thinks I've slaved over it, lol!
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Ok, these are proven winners due to sheer yummy-ness...
    http://www.closetcooking.com/2014/10/chicken-in-creamy-parmesan-and-sundried.html
    http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2014/08/low-carb-lasagna-meatballs-recipe.html#Af84hbKyCV1V5tVl.32
    This is what I'm cooking this weekend:
    http://healinggourmet.com/healthy-recipes/paleo-chicken-marsala/

Depending on what type of a guy it is, making a Fat Head pizza crust and making a candle-lit hand made pizza dinner may impress the heck out of him.

Also, maybe a dessert?
    http://www.snixykitchen.com/2014/10/07/bake-pumpkin-cheesecake-mousse/
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Thank you all...luckily dude isn't picky. But I'm also one of those people who can make a casserole type meal and eat it for days straight until it's gone...so I just wanted something that had some nice appeal to it. I've definitely tagged these ideas for future dinner gatherings...but I think I finally decided on mayo/parmesan baked chicken, a cheesy zucchini casserole, and prosciutto wrapped green beans. @Lillith32 I'm totally trying that pumpkin mousse...tis the season. Thanks again y'all!!
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I make a lower carb lasagna that my whole family loves. We love mushrooms so I add those in as well.
    I call it lower carb because I still use noodles and jarred spaghetti sauce, but just on the very bottom. It is a litte messy for lasagna but not too bad. It's very filling too because of all the meat and cheese.
    I guess it could be done totally without the noodles, but we like the one layer just to get the texture and consistancy of lasagna.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I make a lower carb lasagna that my whole family loves. We love mushrooms so I add those in as well.
    I call it lower carb because I still use noodles and jarred spaghetti sauce, but just on the very bottom. It is a litte messy for lasagna but not too bad. It's very filling too because of all the meat and cheese.
    I guess it could be done totally without the noodles, but we like the one layer just to get the texture and consistancy of lasagna.

Have you ever tried using zucchini slices instead of noodles? It is awesome. Kind of sloppy and comes out more like casserole than regular lasagna that you can serve in a square.
  • mspr1nt
    mspr1nt Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You can make carb free pasta with cream cheese and psyllium husks :)
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I need a noodle like substance, I will make egg crepes if some sort to act as a noodle layer.