Water weight loss - what is the average?

Options
mspr1nt
mspr1nt Posts: 30 Member
Hoping somebody can help me keep expectations in check. I'm wondering if there is a rough estimate for how much water weight you lose in the first few days? I know weight loss will bottom out eventually, but wondering if there's an average percentage of your goal which you can expect to be water weight initially?

I don't have a lot to lose (about 10kg/139lbs) but I want to keep my expectations realistic. I exercise at least five times a week (cardio and some resistance/strength)

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Probably not very much. Expect 5 pounds the first week, but don't be disappointed if you don't lose it, be pleasantly surprised if you do. You might want (or need) to go easy on the exercise the first couple of weeks while your body adjusts.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Hi. I lost 4lbs the first week, after that for about 3 months it was about one pound a week, now it averages .5 lbs a week. Started at 185, now 152. 5'1" GW mid-130s. 54 years old Female.
    Hope that helps.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Yes, the exercise will make your muscles retain water! But there really isn't an average water weight loss here. Maybe an actual research study could provide those numbers for you. Having only ten pounds to lose I wouldn't expect much (I may be wrong, and hope I am for your sake!). I know it would be exciting to see half of the weight gone ight away though. I hope it happens for you! Hang in there! :smile:
  • mspr1nt
    mspr1nt Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I've been doing OK with exercises, making sure I get max sodium and haven't struggled too much about four days into monitoring carbs closely. Have about 22lbs to lose, but 10kg :wink: so I expect progress to be modest, but just didn't want to get all heeeeehaaaa after a dramatic drop when I know it's just water.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I know what it is to be fat and to be desperate for every tick of the scale in the right direction.

I'm guessing that the more weight you carry the more water you may shed.

Because I'm morbidly obese I HAVE to almost ignore the initial amount because this is going to take me a year or two plus a lifetime of maintenance. It is for me a battle for a mind set - long term.

Too much excitement or too much frustration can knock me out of that and I'd wake up 6 months later 50 lbs up in a carb induced fog.

Know / learn your triggers and work around it. Attitude plus a plan that works is everything.