Carb counting

mstrange17
mstrange17 Posts: 12 Member
Does everyone subtract their fiber from total carbs to get their net carbs & use that number?

Replies

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    I kind of do both... here in the UK fiber is not included in total carbohydrates, so by default I'm using net carbs if I use a UK entry. I'm sure I use North American entries too, but I don't bother subtracting the fiber.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Nope.

I do total.

Keeps it clean, simple and works for my goals / needs / mindset.

Some do, however and are just fine.

Look for the dozens of discussions on net vs. total carbs.
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    I have net CA bs setup as I saw the link & opened it - but I don't use it as my Protein shake has fibre in it I'm not worried about the probs that come with low fibre.
    I'm trying to keep it simple
  • MizTenaciousT
    MizTenaciousT Posts: 69 Member
    edited October 2015
    I do. I just feel better having the fiber in my diet and it allows for a wider variety of foods. I know lots of people do total carbs though and that works very well for them! I think you have to really tune into your personal goals and needs. I will say that it was easier to keep to 20g total or less while transitioning into nutritional ketosis, but now I work to keep my net at 20g and my total under 50. I rearranged the way the macronutrients are displayed on MFP so my carbs and fiber counts are right next to each other. It makes it easy to calculate my net that way :)
  • walker1world
    walker1world Posts: 259 Member
    I subtract the fiber. It makes things a lot simpler and has added more total carbs to my menu.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    To make it easier to get net showing --- use MFP macro script

https://github.com/Surye/mfp-keto-userscript