Anyone else amazed at the loss of appetite?

Options
2»

Replies

• courtneywiens
    courtneywiens Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Totally. I'm experiencing natural hunger for the first time. When my body is meant to eat. Still wrapping my head around it.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Lillith32 wrote: »
    @wabmester, I read some of the comments under the article and they are uber-depressing. People just don't want to let go of the low fat and hunger is good dogma. I'll stick to this WOE, thank you very much. I like not being hungry.

It's truly something I think needs to be experienced first hand to really click. Some people are so set against even trying anything new in the first place and others might try but either don't have a good experience due to poor understanding or they just wanted to "prove how wrong it is".

I think this is largely cultural. We are so ingrained to think of being fat as a function of sloth, gluttony and general flaw of the character of the person, that we expect weight loss to have a component of suffering/penance. I think most people don't even fully comprehend how utterly wrong that is. It gives the naturally thin people something to feel superior about ("well, I eat sensibly and I've always been skinny, if you would just eat less you would be skinny too" attitude), and some overweight people have internalized this to the point that they also believe they need to feel discomfort to atone for their 'sin' of being overweight. The idea of dropping weight without any sacrifice seems very wrong to people with this mindset. Also, we as a culture have elevated the feeling of hunger to a virtue. Many religions venerate fasting, deprivation, pain, suffering and discomfort. People need to change their mind set about weight problems, and until they do, they will believe that hunger, pain and suffering should be essential to weight loss.
    Not so.
    Ok, I'm off my soapbox. Sorry for the rant.
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Lower carb eating has changed my life, and I really mean it. I have PMDD and on a high carb diet but staying within 1500 calories a day, I wasn't losing any weight and was binging and purging. I had extreme food cravings, would eat "all the things", feel guilty and purge. then the cravings came back. I am working with a therapist on the ED, but going lower carb has eliminated my food cravings and I haven't had an incident of binging/purging since I went lower carb. I eat more carbs than most of you probably do, but at 100g I am losing weight and I dont feel like I'm depriving myself of anything at all, which is key when someone has an ED.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    @wabmester, I read some of the comments under the article and they are uber-depressing. People just don't want to let go of the low fat and hunger is good dogma. I'll stick to this WOE, thank you very much. I like not being hungry.

It's truly something I think needs to be experienced first hand to really click. Some people are so set against even trying anything new in the first place and others might try but either don't have a good experience due to poor understanding or they just wanted to "prove how wrong it is".

I think this is largely cultural. We are so ingrained to think of being fat as a function of sloth, gluttony and general flaw of the character of the person, that we expect weight loss to have a component of suffering/penance. I think most people don't even fully comprehend how utterly wrong that is. It gives the naturally thin people something to feel superior about ("well, I eat sensibly and I've always been skinny, if you would just eat less you would be skinny too" attitude), and some overweight people have internalized this to the point that they also believe they need to feel discomfort to atone for their 'sin' of being overweight. The idea of dropping weight without any sacrifice seems very wrong to people with this mindset. Also, we as a culture have elevated the feeling of hunger to a virtue. Many religions venerate fasting, deprivation, pain, suffering and discomfort. People need to change their mind set about weight problems, and until they do, they will believe that hunger, pain and suffering should be essential to weight loss.
    Not so.
    Ok, I'm off my soapbox. Sorry for the rant.

Very well said.

The easing (not eliminating ) of the physical challenges with weight loss seem to bring to the forefront the psychological ones. The good part about this is that it is in the mental aspects of our approach to life and food where the true giants to be overcome lie in wait.

This WOE allows you to approach them without being crazy with hunger, giving us a fighting chance to be able to deal with the crap between our ears and in our heart.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I am back on low carb and I swear I cannot go off again. When I am not on low carb I am constantly hungry. When I am on low or no carbs I feel like Ive had weight loss surgery.

I know. Carbs make me crave carbs like crazy! No wonder I could never lose weight. Give me a potato and my night is shot every single time!! I'm inulin resistant and a recovering diabetic so it might hit me harder than most, but... It's crazy! Def a good reason to stay on plan.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    tcarp8 wrote: »
    I agree. I've not been hungry, but apparently I haven't been eating enough calories. Go figure.

Happens to me all the time. I log fake food to get it to 1000 to log (thank you for incoming comments on how unnecessary that is) but give me carbs and I'm easily over 2K. LCHF works. Whether it's the low calories or if it's the low calories brought on my the stable blood sugars is really moot.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    This is a bit early because i just started this woe yesterday...officially. I was extremely reluctant to do this, but after mounds of research, I decided it was worth trying. The minimal hunger pangs I noticed yesterday was amazing! I'm usually hungry by 8 am after having a breakfast of oats, eggwhites and protein powder at 6:30. But yesterday and today, I had whole eggs, cheese, avocado, butter and a few blueberries and I wasn't hungry until around 11. Why didn't I look into this sooner? And this morning....after days of waking up with a BAD headache, it was literally gone! I am so stinkin' happy!!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    lfred12 wrote: »
    Lower carb eating has changed my life, and I really mean it. I have PMDD and on a high carb diet but staying within 1500 calories a day, I wasn't losing any weight and was binging and purging. I had extreme food cravings, would eat "all the things", feel guilty and purge. then the cravings came back. I am working with a therapist on the ED, but going lower carb has eliminated my food cravings and I haven't had an incident of binging/purging since I went lower carb. I eat more carbs than most of you probably do, but at 100g I am losing weight and I dont feel like I'm depriving myself of anything at all, which is key when someone has an ED.
    So happy you found control! That's great!

This is a bit early because i just started this woe yesterday...officially. I was extremely reluctant to do this, but after mounds of research, I decided it was worth trying. The minimal hunger pangs I noticed yesterday was amazing! I'm usually hungry by 8 am after having a breakfast of oats, eggwhites and protein powder at 6:30. But yesterday and today, I had whole eggs, cheese, avocado, butter and a few blueberries and I wasn't hungry until around 11. Why didn't I look into this sooner? And this morning....after days of waking up with a BAD headache, it was literally gone! I am so stinkin' happy!!
    Very glad you decided to give it s shot! Keep at it and day by day, you will be even more convinced it was a good choice. Don't forget the salt to avoid lethargy and/or headaches that can be associated with water/sodium loss. :)