Oatmeal?

Options
Keeleelee55
Keeleelee55 Posts: 45 Member
Does anyone else have really high BG after eating oatmeal? It always seems this is a food that is "recommended" for diabetics but the last few times I've had it mine were extreme...yesterday over 300! Needless to say it's no longer my friend even though I've always lived it must say goodbye. Just wondering if it's just me.

Replies

• winnie141
    winnie141 Posts: 211 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I can't eat it...it does the same for me (high blood sugars) plus the amount that I'm allowed to eat doesn't cut it as far as feeling full for long after eating it!
  • cdebracy
    cdebracy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My wife turned me on to Yevo 43 Oatmeal. It has a bit of protein and I usually combine it with scrambled eggs so I'm not seeing big spikes in BG levels.
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have really high BG after eating oatmeal? It always seems this is a food that is "recommended" for diabetics but the last few times I've had it mine were extreme...yesterday over 300! Needless to say it's no longer my friend even though I've always lived it must say goodbye. Just wondering if it's just me.
    What is weird is that it would send my sugar to the top for the first half year after diagnosis but once I had lost close to 50 lbs I could tolerate it in moderate doses...I eat it with blueberries and usually egg and cheese combo after. Don't give up total hope on it. I love love it...just try it again when you are about 20-30 lbs from goal...and maybe don't eat it alone..combine with protein and fat
  • squeekersmom
    squeekersmom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I cant eat it ,,, and I love it in the winter. Keeps my bg up a long time afterwards...
  • wdnisbet
    wdnisbet Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I eat it from time to time with no on ill effects. But a few thoughts come to mind. Are you using whole oats or the instant stuff? I always use whole rolled or steel cut oats. Also if prepared with milk you get the milk sugar (lactose) interacting with the oats for a higher carb load. I do use milk but not much. I would hate to give up oatmeal or cream of wheat. I just have to pair it with other foods low in carbs.That has proven true of most carbs. I have to watch the total number especially from food I don't routinely think of as carbs, like milk and some fruits.
  • JaneKnoll1
    Options
    wdnisbet wrote: »
    I eat it from time to time with no on ill effects. But a few thoughts come to mind. Are you using whole oats or the instant stuff? I always use whole rolled or steel cut oats. Also if prepared with milk you get the milk sugar (lactose) interacting with the oats for a higher carb load. I do use milk but not much. I would hate to give up oatmeal or cream of wheat. I just have to pair it with other foods low in carbs.That has proven true of most carbs. I have to watch the total number especially from food I don't routinely think of as carbs, like milk and some fruits.

I am exactly like you. I have to watch all carbs and use steel cut oatmeal. A trick is to cook it on Sunday and make a big batch when you have time and keep it in the fridge and microwave the portion. I eat it with protein and fat after like an omelet etc.. It's the safer way for me and probably most people
  • squeekersmom
    Options
    I only ate real oats,,,and steel cut oats, nothing processed. I think it depends on the meds you are on as well, when I was on gliclazide I could eat more carbs,,,but now I'm off it. :) and have to be very careful what I eat. I've learned what is 'recommended' for diabetics isn't always the best for us. Each person is different.
  • DLDzioba
    DLDzioba Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I ate oatmeal from McDonald's this morning. Checked my sugar two hours after I began eating, the way my doctor recommends and my sugar was 79. I tend to have better sugars when I when I eat oatmeal so long as it's not the instant stuff. (If McDonald's oatmeal is anything like chick fil a's oatmeal then they get it pre cooked then just heat and add fruit.
  • JaneKnoll1
    Options
    I only ate real oats,,,and steel cut oats, nothing processed. I think it depends on the meds you are on as well, when I was on gliclazide I could eat more carbs,,,but now I'm off it. :) and have to be very careful what I eat. I've learned what is 'recommended' for diabetics isn't always the best for us. Each person is different.
    Yep me too...if carbs are too refined my sugar starts to rise. I have great control but I am super/hyper vigilant. It's a drag but I want to be healthy. I agree people can tolerate carbs differently. I wish we were the same. It would make it a lot easier haha!
  • squeekersmom
    Options
    :)