How to choose coconut oil

fuelednfit
fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
I guessed here are all the expert on coconut oil. There are a few options deodorized refined extra virgin. I am not sure what is the best option.
I mainly use it for bulletproof coffee and fat bombs sometime to fry eggs.
What do you use or recommend
Thanks

Replies

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Unless you're cooking with it exclusively, I would suggest cold pressed (virgin). The flavour is better for making fat bombs and fatty coffee. Refined is fine to cook with, but is not going to be as nice on it's own.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    The unrefined Virgin cold pressed has a bit of coconut flavor, the refined does not. The cooking has been mentioned.

I understand that the refining process uses chemicals (bleach & ??).

When fat adapted the lovely fuel of coconut oil and butter goes straight to energy in the morning for me so I'd rather have it as pure as I can.

Eating "real food"!
  • fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    OK thanks I will go with virgin!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    I personally hate the taste of coconut and started out using refined coconut oil. Then I started getting heartburn every time I used it or most of my fats. I boycotted most all except butter for about a month, then decided to try a unrefined type my coworker had used and let me try... it wasn't awful, so I've been doing that since. I'm about to buy another tub, and I'll be getting the unrefined again...