Chia Seed Pudding & LC Cherry cheesecake popsicles

Options
KETOGENICGURL
KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
edited October 2015 in Social Groups
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3061/2

Chia seeds are very high in Phosphorous..all foods have some amount, but just 1 ounce ( 2tbl) gives 27% of your daily amount.

Chia seed pudding is supposed to be good..made with almond milk, so am going to try some from the recipe on the bag…but wow..still too high in Phos. for me to have often. boo hoo.

Dr. Terry Wahls..with her MS protocol of 9 cups veggies a day is a big proponent of chai pudding…she has a new tutorial on diet doctor for members..have to review and see why Chia is so favored.

here is ONE recipe-- but choose unsweet almond milk..there are MANY version online
(OOPPPS-- these are 20 carbs..sorry--still find other receipes that are lower)

http://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/chocolate-chia-almond-pudding-dairy-free-sugar-free/

I have some frozen cherries from my tree..so will be making these low carb popsicles in my colorful new pop-forms…*
http://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/low-carb-cherry-coconut-cheesecake-popsicles/

*Before LCHF I loved these boxed greek yogurt pops made with fruit like berries and plums, cherries..so I am hoping this recipe is similar in taste!!!! most commercial foods have so much added sugar and junk..even the "good' kinds.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I can't eat chia too much. It dehydrates me badly (even after being soaked or blended in something for hours/days) and stops up my bathroom plumbing. I don't know if any of it has to do with the phosphorous, but I'm frustrated, because it was a simple option.
  • sicklidae
    sicklidae Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    OMG, I love coconut everything. I kept meaning to attempt some low-carb coconut pops this summer, but never got around to it :neutral: I like the addition of cream cheese in this, I'll have to try it out, without the cherries. :)
  • KETOGENICGURL
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Knit…I am avoiding phosphorous as much as possible this month pre-blood test to PROVE to my docs I can change my numbers with diet…so I am holding off on making it til Nov.

with me specifically I MUST lower Potassium/Phosphorous to avoid possible heart arrythmia…when the kidneys don't filter enough out via urine it builds up. Like the Hempseed I was in love with due to 50% MG in just 3 tbl..I was ALSO getting 50% of the entire DAY's phosphorous at the same time!! yikes. so had to back off Hempseed too.

Next month I will add back in some..but really keep an eye on % a day. Diet is turing out to be a lot more complex than keeping to macros.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Knit…I am avoiding phosphorous as much as possible this month pre-blood test to PROVE to my docs I can change my numbers with diet…so I am holding off on making it til Nov.

with me specifically I MUST lower Potassium/Phosphorous to avoid possible heart arrythmia…when the kidneys don't filter enough out via urine it builds up. Like the Hempseed I was in love with due to 50% MG in just 3 tbl..I was ALSO getting 50% of the entire DAY's phosphorous at the same time!! yikes. so had to back off Hempseed too.

Next month I will add back in some..but really keep an eye on % a day. Diet is turing out to be a lot more complex than keeping to macros.

Yikes! Other than testing phosphorus directly, what other tests can I keep an eye on? I just got my labs back from my 6 month endo check...
  • KETOGENICGURL
    Options
    you don't have chronic kidney disease..but Albumin is a biggie for anyone.....keeping at least 4.0 is ideal..(I was 3.8 mostly..which increases long term CVD, etc.) a good diet should improve that.

What i DO know is I can eat all the veggies I want and stay under <high levels or P&P as long as I drop meat/eggs.
    ( and a LCHF veggie diet is very possible) I'drather keep my animal fats, and not eat the carbs on the Walser diet.

all foods have Phosphorous…so this get trickier.

I am being stubborn in NOT believing the Walser kidney diet is as healthy as it can be..based on 80's fat fears it doesn't allow dairy/cheese/eggs..but does allow "Heinz Turkey gravy in a jar??!!! ( all flour and 30 additives!!) "powdered coffee creamer" (soybean crap) vs cream??

so I am being DEFIANT…knowing that Dr. Fung says SF are not a problem for kidneys..and adapting the sVLP diet I must follow by STILL having HWC/butter..but switching to vegan cheese, reduce eggs greatly.

I am anxious to see my next late Oct. renal test to see if I did improve due to diet..I am pretty certain I did. ( but "confidence" is that feeling of superiority we have before falling flat on our face")

I refuse to buy crap processed products ..to much great info in LCHF/Keto taught me I can keep good kidney function by just dropping meat.....so am not willing to lower food quality while I learn the Low Protein diet I need to follow.

BUT-- the MS veggie diet is ALSO pushing VVL SF.. <15 gr.. so why? maybe there is a reason it hurts the body? for MS, or maybe other health issues like mine? I dunno, but hoping not. Still learning

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    you don't have chronic kidney disease..but Albumin is a biggie for anyone.....keeping at least 4.0 is ideal..(I was 3.8 mostly..which increases long term CVD, etc.) a good diet should improve that.

What i DO know is I can eat all the veggies I want and stay under <high levels or P&P as long as I drop meat/eggs.
    ( and a LCHF veggie diet is very possible) I'drather keep my animal fats, and not eat the carbs on the Walser diet.

all foods have Phosphorous…so this get trickier.

I am being stubborn in NOT believing the Walser kidney diet is as healthy as it can be..based on 80's fat fears it doesn't allow dairy/cheese/eggs..but does allow "Heinz Turkey gravy in a jar??!!! ( all flour and 30 additives!!) "powdered coffee creamer" (soybean crap) vs cream??

so I am being DEFIANT…knowing that Dr. Fung says SF are not a problem for kidneys..and adapting the sVLP diet I must follow by STILL having HWC/butter..but switching to vegan cheese, reduce eggs greatly.

I am anxious to see my next late Oct. renal test to see if I did improve due to diet..I am pretty certain I did. ( but "confidence" is that feeling of superiority we have before falling flat on our face")

I refuse to buy crap processed products ..to much great info in LCHF/Keto taught me I can keep good kidney function by just dropping meat.....so am not willing to lower food quality while I learn the Low Protein diet I need to follow.

BUT-- the MS veggie diet is ALSO pushing VVL SF.. <15 gr.. so why? maybe there is a reason it hurts the body? for MS, or maybe other health issues like mine? I dunno, but hoping not. Still learning

As far back as I have it tracked, my Albumin has been low - but no one has said anything to me about kidney risk...

Albumin
    Date Result Reference Range Flag
    13-Oct-15 3.2 G/DL 3.4-5.0 L
    20-Apr-15 3.0 G/DL 3.4-5.0 L
    27-Oct-14 3.3 G/DL 3.4-5.0 L
    16-May-14 3.2 G/DL 3.4-5.0 L
    21-Apr-14 3.3 G/DL 3.4-5.0 L
    12-Mar-13 3.3 G/DL 3.4-5.0 L
    09-Jul-12 3.2 G/DL 3.4-5.0 L
    21-Jun-11 3.1 G/DL 3.4-5.0 L

The Globulin doesn't give suggested ranges - nor does the ratio.

Globulin
    13-Oct-15 3.8 G/DL
    20-Apr-15 4.0 G/DL
    27-Oct-14 4.0 G/DL
    16-May-14 4.0 G/DL
    21-Apr-14 3.8 G/DL
    12-Mar-13 4.1 G/DL
    09-Jul-12 4.2 G/DL
    21-Jun-11 4.0 G/DL

Albumin/Globulin Ratio
    13-Oct-15 0.8
    20-Apr-15 0.7
    27-Oct-14 0.8
    16-May-14 0.8
    21-Apr-14 0.8
    12-Mar-13 0.8
    09-Jul-12 0.7
    21-Jun-11 0.7

I really don't know what certain segments of my bloodwork mean, and most docs will not take the time to explain it to you....

For example:
    My calcium is low. My magnesium is barely in range (1.8 - was 1.6 six months ago). My Vitamin D3 level dropped 20 points in 6 months, and is only at 38 now (30 is danger zone). Albumin is low. LDL/total is high, trigs are low! Things like Bilirubin are super close to the low end of the threshold.

Is that good or bad? I would LOVE a worksheet that went along with my numbers so I could understand what they mean... I understand that certain things on conjunction mean different things... But at least give me context to know what's good or bad to look for!
  • KETOGENICGURL
    Options
    Low Albumin is not as much kidney risk as cardio risk I think

I increased my Amino Acids and energy increased, so my higher weight may mean i need more than the 3x a day for 150 lb person ( makes sense I have a lot more muscle mass and body mass to support, even as I lose)
    for those on Dialysis a 3.0-3.3 albumin is very high danger, so not sure your risk,

you may want to call Gary Colton, the scientist who developed the Aminos I take..and ask him… something may be going on with your ability to utilize protein???
    www.calwoodnutritionals.com I'm serious..call him….ask, he has all sorts of people who need AAs added to the diet, so should be willing to answer you questions.

malnutrition is NOT something I want by going low protein without Aminos

if your Albumin is that low….3.8 is a low point for most CKD, I am wondering why nothing is being said.. the combo of CKD AND low Albumin while on dialysis is the problem for OTHERS…

PLEASE google on this yourself, and look in Pubmed.com by keyword. OK?

since you are eating a meat diet and getting protein it may be digestive? issue ? dunno.

http://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/side-effects/hypoalbuminemia-low-albumin.aspx

Low albumin (hypoalbuminemia) may be caused by liver disease, nephrotic syndrome, burns, protein-losing enteropathy, malabsorption, malnutrition, late pregnancy, artefact, genetic variations and malignancy.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Low Albumin is not as much kidney risk as cardio risk I think

I increased my Amino Acids and energy increased, so my higher weight may mean i need more than the 3x a day for 150 lb person ( makes sense I have a lot more muscle mass and body mass to support, even as I lose)
    for those on Dialysis a 3.0-3.3 albumin is very high danger, so not sure your risk,

you may want to call Gary Colton, the scientist who developed the Aminos I take..and ask him… something may be going on with your ability to utilize protein???
    www.calwoodnutritionals.com I'm serious..call him….ask, he has all sorts of people who need AAs added to the diet, so should be willing to answer you questions.

malnutrition is NOT something I want by going low protein without Aminos

if your Albumin is that low….3.8 is a low point for most CKD, I am wondering why nothing is being said.. the combo of CKD AND low Albumin while on dialysis is the problem for OTHERS…

PLEASE google on this yourself, and look in Pubmed.com by keyword. OK?

since you are eating a meat diet and getting protein it may be digestive? issue ? dunno.

http://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/side-effects/hypoalbuminemia-low-albumin.aspx

Low albumin (hypoalbuminemia) may be caused by liver disease, nephrotic syndrome, burns, protein-losing enteropathy, malabsorption, malnutrition, late pregnancy, artefact, genetic variations and malignancy.

Wow, that's a lot of craziness. I had wondered about the low results chronically as well.

Total Protein
    13-Oct-15 7.0 G/DL 6.4-8.2
    20-Apr-15 7.0 G/DL 6.4-8.2
    27-Oct-14 7.3 G/DL 6.4-8.2
    16-May-14 7.2 G/DL 6.4-8.2
    21-Apr-14 7.1 G/DL 6.4-8.2
    12-Mar-13 7.4 G/DL 6.4-8.2
    09-Jul-12 7.4 G/DL 6.4-8.2
    21-Jun-11 7.1 G/DL 6.4-8.2

I only switch to low carbing in January of this year. I've never been anything resembling a vegetarian. LOL I wonder if the protein has anything to do with this... All of the levels seem to be consistent from pre-low carbing through low carbing...

Looking at some of the examples on this page, lots have high creatine levels, too...

Blood Urea Nitrogen
    Date Result Reference Range
    13-Oct-15 14 MG/DL 7-18
    20-Apr-15 20 MG/DL 7-18 (I was massively dehydrated, so my doc wasn't concern as long as I retested)
    27-Oct-14 11 MG/DL 7-18
    16-May-14 11 MG/DL 7-18
    21-Apr-14 11 MG/DL 7-18
    12-Mar-13 12 MG/DL 7-18
    9-Jul-12 11 MG/DL 7-18
    21-Jun-11 11 MG/DL 7-18
    30-Jan-09 12 MG/DL 7-18

Creatinine
    Date Result Reference Range
    13-Oct-15 0.9 MG/DL 0.6-1.0
    20-Apr-15 0.8 MG/DL 0.6-1.0
    27-Oct-14 0.8 MG/DL 0.6-1.0