Lin

Options
Just turned 68. I have lost and gained back my weight forever it seems. Just need friends going thru all the temptations of eating and handling friends who sabatoge your efforts.

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Hello, please post a little about yourself on our thread for newbies and returnees:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10263530/newbies-and-returnees-introduce-yourself-here

More people will notice you there and you can request friends as well. Always good to get even more support in our fitness and weight loss efforts. :)
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Lin! This is a great group for mutual support.

I hear you about folks sabotaging, knowingly or unknowingly... I have had to stand my ground against folks who say "just this one won't hurt" or "you have to treat yourself once in a while." I know my own limits and I have learned, finally, to respect them. I'm no longer shy about telling people close to me that I have my limitations and I'm sticking to them because they work. Folks I don't know well, have no business saying anything - and I ignore them accordingly.

Good luck in your journey, we are here for you! ~ Kathy
  • wandakc
    wandakc Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Welcome Lin, I fully understand your frustrations !!! There is lot's of support here from wonderful folks who have all had the same struggles !!
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Lin!

I'm my own worst enemy.. but. I've found that when it comes to resisting temptations that others put before me, my best defense is to look the person IN the eye, and say (firmly): "NO thank you" .

Don't bother to explain yourself. Just say no.
    If your friends respect you, they will back off.
    Friends who don't respect you and your struggles are not real friends.

Visualize yourself saying "NO" and not backing down.
    Imagine how good you'll feel when you resist.

Hang in there!

• sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Hey Lin. When the polite gene kicks in, remind yourself you're being rude to yourself if you go ahead and eat. I take a teeny bite if there's too much pressure. Your body will thank you later when you've resisted eating what's thrust at you.
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I like Sharon's concept.

Also:

If it's a dessert at a sit down dinner, take a teensy bite and immediately pour salt all over it so you won't be able to eat any more. B)
  • sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Oh Cris! Soooo funny!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    CrisEBTrue wrote: »

Look the person in the eye, and say (firmly): "NO thank you".
    Don't bother to explain yourself. Just say no.
    If your friends respect you, they will back off.
    Friends who don't respect you and your struggles are not real friends.
    Visualize yourself saying "NO" and not backing down.
    Imagine how good you'll feel when you resist.

Hang in there!

Love all the above ...... many times I practiced saying "NO, thank you" in front of a mirror .... it gets easier the more you do it B)