Am I on the right track? Advice please

Options
Firefly0606
Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
I am 1 week in to a full reset and just looking for some advice on how to continue as I search for my true TDEE.

I am loving the freedom this reset has bought me already, in the weeks/months of reading and playing with the idea of eating more, and in this last week alone. I couldn't care less if I gain 100kg on this reset right now, my relationship with food is healing and it feels fantastic. I feel like I am breaking free of all the diet industry b.s which I know never worked for me anyway. It's liberating.

Stats: 32yo female, work a desk job 37 hours per week, mother of 2 (3 as on some days hubby counts as a child). 172cm tall, 107kg. Prior to my reset I was aiming for 1500 cal per day but failing often....I lost 8kg between July - September aiming to eat 1500 per day, averaging 1700-1800 in reality.

Exercise is whatever I can fit in between work/home/committee meetings/church etc....So planned exercise each week is a 1.5hour karate class, 1-2 x 25 minute kettlebell workouts and 1-2 x 40 minute walk/jogs in the park with my four-legged friend.

In my first week of reset I managed the 2 x walk/jogs, 1 x 20 minute kettlebell workout and a 25 minute swim. I averaged 2570 calories per day. No karate this week as hubby had shift work on. Starting weight 107.1kg, weight today 107.6kg.

Scooby's calculator states my TDEE around the 2800 mark. I have only tracked daily calories at 2500 for 1 week and had a 1lb gain. Should I stay at 2500 for another few weeks and then try pushing up to 2600 or 2700? Or should I do it now and see what happens? I am a little confused as to how I will know when I'm at true TDEE and not a suppressed TDEE. Perhaps I should just bump up to 2800 right away, gain a few kg's (who cares?) and wait for my weight to stabilise there?

Replies

• KickboxDiva
    KickboxDiva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you think you can handle. Do you really not care if you gain some in the beginning, how much would mentally derail you? You could go for your maximum but it might be easier to ease into it. You just had a big jump from 1800 to 2500. I'm not sure what the "rules" are (if there are any) but I started going up a couple hundred a day each 7 to 10 days. I also had a macro coach that told me to go right to my protein and fat grams and then solve your equation for carbs, adding about 20 grams per week until I was up to carb goal for my total (my fitbit HR burn) or what ever your TDEE goal is.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Just encouragement to review the TDEE level you picked - since it only discusses exercise and not daily life.

So your work may be desk - but life after work and weekends is busier.

So Lightly Active just for that, and Lightly Active for purposeful exercise - combined is Moderately Active.
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. I chose moderately active on Scooby's calculator and it given me TDEE of 2851, lightly active is 2529.

I am down on the scales 400g this morning. This is day 8 of my reset so not sure if this is my weight "bouncing around" or still too early to tell. I might stay at 2500 for another week and then increase to 2600. I had a really big think about whether I really do not care if I gain - and I really do not care. I am so much happier with eating and not feeling miserable all the time that I just want to find that TDEE so I can start a sensible cut that will result is sensible sustainable fat loss.