What is the something you wish you would have known day one.. (help new people)

Options
ettaterrell
ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
edited October 2015 in Social Groups
Ok I've only been doing this going on 6 weeks, in the beginning I had a 2 week stall, (no up no down on scale) I've learned so much and read so much from people on here and I want to help others who are starting out so they dont make mistakes I made, and I'd also like to learn more from people thats been doing this woe for awhile..... So I'll go first:

EAT YOUR FATS... Since i've started this I'm hardly ever hungry (heavy cream, coconut oil, butter, skin on chicken)

get double sodium in diet (keeps away head aches....) I keep dill pickles on hand!

track your food like it's your job....

I'm sure there's more but someone else can take over now....

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I wish I had known about toasted coconut flakes. Those and macadamia nuts have got to be the world's best low-carb snacks.

And I wish I knew how to avoid kidney stones. That's a guessing game nobody should have to play. :(
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I wish I had found Kroger's carbmaster vanilla yogurt sooner. I like it with some dark chocolate and coconut flakes for a treat that actually doesn't trigger more sweet cravings for me.
    I also wish I had thought to use less coconut oil, butter and hwc in my bulletproof coffee in the beginning because I was struggling staying in my calorie goal at first. I sort of thought it just had to be made with those specific ratios. Lol
    And that I didn't have to hit the fat goal every day. If I wasn't hungry and was under calories, I didn't need to eat more fat to get all the calories in. I could've just had a nicer deficit those days.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd have known how bad the first couple of weeks suck! Stick to it and you'll feel amazing!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    To always have a bag of pork rinds in the house lol
  • robosphere
    robosphere Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Anglyn1, I'm right there with you. I'm on call at work tonight, and have to stay, but forgot to bring extra food. I was running around the nearby grocery store looking for pork rinds. No luck. I think I'm always going to try to have a bag at home and one stashed somewhere at work.
  • phxteach
    phxteach Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    If you cannot do without bread like items, there are slightly expensive substitutes or make your own recipes. Chompie's low carb bread, Carbquick (like Bisquick), and then there's Walden Farm's no cal/no carb line of sauces, dressings.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    1) To use intermittent fasting to fit into my schedule (time saver)
    2) Stay consistent as possible by using the same exact packaging food wise and cooking wise (same measurements/cook wear)
    3) Low carb gems...like others have mentioned just to use for "cheat" days...coconut manna, baker's chocolate, etc.
  • petunia773
    petunia773 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Take your starting measurements. I didn't because I was afraid to see the numbers but now I really wish I had. I can fit into jeans that I previously couldn’t, but I'm still curious about how many inches I've actually lost.
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I was having some of hubby's pork rind yesterday on our way home from a short trip. And couldn't believe how low in carbs they were. Today they will be in my shopping cart for sure.
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    petunia773 wrote: »
    Take your starting measurements. I didn't because I was afraid to see the numbers but now I really wish I had. I can fit into jeans that I previously couldn’t, but I'm still curious about how many inches I've actually lost.

Definitely this. And take pictures too, I have loads of people telling me that they can see my weight loss but I have no pictures to compare for myself, all of the pictures I can find from when I started 6 months ago I'm wearing a big heavy coat or a jumper to cover my fat, I have to go back 18 months (to when I was bigger than I am now but smaller than I went up to) to compare my size.

Also, this time I researched LCHF properly before I started but I have tried other times and never got off the starting blocks because I was so fixated on finding replacements for my favourites. This time round I accepted that there were things I couldn't eat and concentrated instead on all the things I can still enjoy :smiley:
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    LuizH wrote: »

Definitely this. And take pictures too, I have loads of people telling me that they can see my weight loss but I have no pictures to compare for myself, all of the pictures I can find from when I started 6 months ago I'm wearing a big heavy coat or a jumper to cover my fat, I have to go back 18 months (to when I was bigger than I am now but smaller than I went up to) to compare my size.

Also, this time I researched LCHF properly before I started but I have tried other times and never got off the starting blocks because I was so fixated on finding replacements for my favourites. This time round I accepted that there were things I couldn't eat and concentrated instead on all the things I can still enjoy :smiley:

Yes! This is soooooooooo helpful! It's really no big deal to not have bread, pasta or muffins. We just often don't know of other ways to eat things. It's totally a mental thing and it can leave you feeling unnecessarily deprived.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    I wish I had taken "before" photos all along, from 102 pounds heavier 5 years ago, 62 lbs ago last Fall, and 44 lbs ago since starting MFP in the Spring.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options

This this this!! So wish I had but I did do pics!
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    How well keto and IF go together and how magical they'd be for me. I wish I'd known about these 10 years ago or even 5 years ago. I might have avoided surgery.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I was afraid of adding salt at first so I had the headaches and leg cramps early on. Those leg cramps took a good month to completely get rid of. Ugh.

BPC. Adding coconut oil or butter to coffee seemed really weird at first. It sure makes a tasty breafast though. :)
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    The top 10 things I woulda shoulda coulda.
    1. Take before pictures and measurements
    2. Figure out my BMR, TDEE and Macros earlier.
    3. No, Quinoa is not a better grain substitute for rice.
    4. Forget grains.
    5. Watch sodium and magnesium levels to avoid leg cramps.
    6. Forget protein shakes and just eat real HF LC foods.
    7. Forget fruits, that includes apples - douh
    8. Weigh food portions and record accurately
    9. Read all the links in the LC launch pad
    10.Read Dan's and KnitorMiss' Blogs
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Watch out for carb creep. Weigh and record faithfully to avoid stalls and frustration. Keeps you honest, as does daily weighing if you can weather the ups and downs. These things really help you see how your body is affected by carbs and also by different macros, even by exercise.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    slimzandra wrote: »
    10.Read Dan's and KnitorMiss' Blogs

*blushes* It's kind of funny to make someone's list! Thanks. :)

For me:
    1. Convenience foods do not equal failure (pepperoni, jerky, beef sticks, cheese, lunchmeat, etc.)
    2. Pizza tastes better without the crust! Burgers without the bun, too.
    3. SOOOOO many low carb sweeteners have a higher glycemic index/impact than sugar. Research and test what works FOR YOU.
    4. Intermittent fasting once adapted can really help manage sugar cravings, even for folks who don't feel like hell when they eat off plan (like me) and so don't have lovely built in reminder system.
    5. Kombucha and naturally fermented foods (for gut health) are SOOOOO worth the extra few carbs!!!
    6. Not to be afraid to try new things.
    7. Unrefined coconut oil is so much more awesome than refined, despite the fact that I hate coconut flavors!
    8. Cinnamon can drop your blood sugar too low if you're sensitive that way.
    9. Insulin resistance dictates all - and EVERYONE should be tested!
    10. Your water and sodium needs change periodically.
    11. Sugar and junk wasn't nearly as hard to give up as I'd worried it was.
    12. Vinegar pickles and coconut oil consumed within a few hours of each other have explosive consequences.
    13. Fat replaces fiber in the bowel movement department.
    14. There is a low carb variation for just about everything!
    15. Cauliflower crust is not a decent substitute for pizza. BLECH - and Almond Flour does not automatically have the exact same effect on one's body and blood sugar as almonds...
    16. Hydration and sodium are huge components to success when strenuously working/working out of doors.
    17. My scale and tape measure are like flipped magnets - when one moves, the other does not.
    18. I can improve my bloodwork numbers, even when no other progress feels like it's being made.
    19. One "off plan choice" does not derail my plan - this is life people - *kitten* happens.
    20. Each bite you choose can be your new beginning - don't wait for tomorrow.
    21. Own and accept every choice you make - guilt is far more damaging than any carb or calorie.
    22. All carbs are NOT created equally. Some are "safer" than others. (Strawberries, I'm talking to you!)
    23. Stalls are unplanned maintenance. View them as an opportunity rather than a challenge.
    24. Patience and consistency are key to this eating lifestyle's success. If you can't be consistent and go 4 weeks without changing things up, this lifestyle probably isn't for out.

I'm sure I've got dozens more. Those are off the top of my head!
  • fireball1970
    fireball1970 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks, these tips are very helpful to me. I'm in week 3 and feeling amazing. I still need to do my measurements.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    It gets easier so don't worry so much!