Anyone try the egg fast?

Options
Hey guys, I've been doing keto for 4 months now and I am stuck!! My weight has been the same for 2 months. I ideally eat 20 grams net carbs per day. It might be carb creep? Maybe it's the heavy whipping cream?

This way of eating is a lifestyle for me. I have PCOS and before keto, I could literally eat 4810 bagels, pretzels, bread...cereal etc. and never be satisfied. Plus, my face would get super puffy looking the day after a carb fest.

With that said, I am trying the egg fast in hopes it will kick start things again. My goal is to lose 5-10 pounds. I am 5'4 and my weight stays between 132-135.
I am on day 2 of the fast and so far I am not tired of eggs lol

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I look at water first, followed by sodium, then artificial sweeteners, then carb creep and portion creep...

Also, have you lost inches during this time? Changed a clothing size? My body goes through phases of losing for a few months, then body recomp for a few months. If my scale is moving, my clothes/inches are not, and vice versa.

Personally, I'd rather have the inches lost than pounds.

The main thing I did recently is up my carbs a bit to allow for kombucha for guy health... Started losing inches again, despite being in holding pattern for months now on the scale!

It's all about perspective. I still feel great, so I'm trusting the process. During that 6 months, I dropped my fasting insulin level AND fasting glucose level, among other things, so to me, there are far better ways to note progress than the movement on the scale.
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I was considering an egg fast myself. Are you following the formal plan or just only eating eggs?
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    KnitOrMiss: I can definitely drink more water. I will try that. The only artificial sweeteners I consume is Diet Coke and walden farms products.
    I also add stevia to my coffee. I recently found Zevia. It's a soda sweetened with stevia.

4031isaiah: right now I'm following IBreatheImHungry blog for the egg fast. For every egg consumed I eat at least 1 tbsp of full fat.
    I did her day 1 plan yesterday.
    Bulletproof coffee with only half tbsp mct oil.
    2 eggs with 2 tbsp grass fed butter and half oz Brie cheese
    Egg salad
    3 eggs with 2 tbsp butter, 1 oz cream cheese, 1 oz blue cheese
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Diet Coke is Aspartame. I don't know about you, but that triggers mad cravings for me. If it's the one with Splenda, that's worse for me. Walden Farms have whatever sugar alcohols. I don't get migraines, but whatever it is they use gives me instant migraine-level headaches. I won't try any more of their stuff. EVER. Stevia is okay, depending on what brands and no fillers - maltodextrin and dextrose are bad fillers! I use Sweet Leaf brand Stevia. It's the only one I've found I can use that doesn't trigger insanity in my body.

And if you're doing multiples of these a day, you're probably affecting your metabolism more than you realize. I didn't have a problem at first that I noticed, not until I started fine-tuning what I ate. The further along I went, the more I realized how much these things bother me!!

For me, water/fluid intake is CRITICAL to continuing to lose... I know it isn't for everyone, but burned fats are released as sweat, as CO2 when we sleep, and through our liquid waste. I don't know about you, but I'm going to give my body as much water as it wants to rinse out that stuff!!

And from what I remember, there are no sweeteners allowed on the egg fast, right? How's that going?
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    edited October 2015
    Options
    KnitOrMiss: I drink Diet Coke probably two times a week. Yesterday I had a can of Zevia. Not bad! Today I had another bulletproof coffee, 4 eggs with 4 tbsp butter and 1oz cheddar cheese and half oz Brie. & dinner is egg salad.
    I'm not really missing the sweeteners so much as the heavy whipping cream. I love my cream..especially in my Starbucks cold brew iced coffee. Yum! But I heard HWC can make people stall?

My dilemma now is that my coworker wants to have lunch tomorrow but how? I'm in the middle of my egg fast and I don't want to ruin it halfway through!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    So plan a lunch "in" or bring your own. Indicate that you are on a medically supervised short term plan. It doesn't have to be 100% accurate, just enough that nosy questions aren't forthcoming...

Glad to hear you don't do the AS much. :) They can be bad. I've heard that heavy cream can contributes to stalls, but I'd be more inclined to think it was the dairy aspect than aynthing else...
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss: I drink Diet Coke probably two times a week. Yesterday I had a can of Zevia. Not bad!

Did you enjoy the Zevia? I've always looked at it but at $6 for 6 cans I'm always a little hesitant.

I was going to start the egg fast yesteday but had a whopper of a panic attack in the middle of the night so didn't start. I'm going to keep an eye on this post and see how you do if you can please keep us updated. :)
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    Options
    @AngInCanada the Zevia is so good. Better than Diet Coke. Try the cream soda, it will change your life ;)
    @KnitOrMiss I ended up eating a Cobb salad with blue dressing on the side, no tomatoes. For breakfast and dinner I stayed on plan and ate my eggs.

Results so far: started at 133.5, day 2- I stayed exactly the same! But my tape measured my waist at 1/2 inch less than usual. I ignored this result as a fluke.
    This morning I weigh 131.8!! Cobb salad and everything. Today I'm gonna stick to plan and see what happens tomorrow.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Cobb Salad is pretty low carb, from what I remember... :) Congrats on your movement!
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    Options
    Weighed myself this morning. 130.5. That's -3 stubborn pounds! I finally broke my plateau.
    In case anyone is interested, I started incorporating one regular low carb meal since day 3 of the egg fast. Yesterday I had one of my favorite low carb tortillas with my meal.
    Also, (tmi ahead) I'm taking medication to jump start my menstrual cycle. I finally started my period on day 2 of the egg fast. Maybe that's why I didn't lose anything?
    I will keep updating my results.